Introductory Post

John55

Jan 13, 2018
In my haste in posting the open letter to the SEC commissioner, I neglected to introduce myself. I’m a UCLA fan but also a Tide fan in every sense of the word as much one could be rooting from the west coast. My introduction to Alabama football occurred while watching a popular 70s show, The Brady Bunch. It was the episode when Bobby Brady told a lie that he knew Joe Namath. His friends challenged him to prove it. The situation looked bleak but Bobby’s father managed to get Broadway Joe, who happened to be in town, to come to the house. Joe even threw a few tight spirals to little Bobby. At the time, I didn’t know much about football nor Joe Namath but I found out as I started collecting football cards and watching games. I noted that Broadway Joe had attended Alabama. A few years later I saw Ken Stabler take apart the Vikings in SB11. I remember reading his stats from the back of his Topps football card and noticed he also had attended Alabama. At around this time, I got interested in CFB. My team was UCLA but like most CFB fans on the west coast I tuned in eagerly for the big rivalry games - OSU/Michigan, Nebraska/OU, Texas/OU, Pitt/Penn State, and of course Alabama/Auburn. As a young child, I knew instinctively that Bear Bryant was a legendary coach. I remember Major Oglive and was a fan of his. A few years later, I saw Mike Shula play and hoped he would be the next great Bama QB. He had his moments but never reached the great heights. I don’t recall ever seeing a better defense than Gene Stallings’ NC team. My fandom took a downturn during the Dubose years and my interest waned. I was excited when Nick Saban was hired but never thought he would win this many titles. Anyway, I just want to say Roll Tide! Go Bruins!

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Welcome to the board, John55.

I remember that Brady Bunch episode. As it turns out I lived just down from some kids who did know Joe Namath. I inherited my love for Alabama football, but it brings a smile to my face that you found a way from here in CA to become a fan as well.

Please read the FAQ section. We run a tight ship and keep a family friendly site.

Thanks for posting an intro and Roll Tide!

John55

Jan 13, 2018
It’s going to take few years for Kelly to get it going. Mora left the offensive line and running back positions in shambles. The defense has a lot of 4-stars and a few 5-stars but the coaching was terrible. The new DC will be an improvement. It’s hard to believe Rahsaan Evans and Roquan Smith were once UCLA verbal commits. They made the right choices though. Mora whiffed on his last 2 DC hires.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.