Less than a month to Valpo!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I've no idea of what to expect from the team this year, but I'm looking forward to the season none the less. I do expect to see better fundamentals and a more positive atmosphere surrounding the squad. Can't wait to see what Coach Bohannon can do over the next several years.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I visited with a former player earlier today and he said the team is totally bought in and excited for the Coach Bohannon era. Currently has 30 on the roster. His expectations are low as our pitching is poor at best. It will take a couple of years to work through the damage Coach Goff did to the program, primarily recruiting relationships. I'd expect a losing record in the SEC this year,(possibly a record no better than last year), but a team that has a more positive attitude and thankfully no coaches G'Damning players. It will probably be year 3 before we see a team with a super legit expectation to do damage in the post season.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I sure bet the returning players are enjoying a breath of fresh air. Last season sure was a turbulent one. Hope to see improved team chemistry start to build. Baseball is such a mental game, if you're not confident in yourself and your teammates you have no chance at success.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
If we were to win 12-13 games in the SEC, it wouldn't be that bad. Had all kinds of chances to win games last year, but always a critical mistake to cost the game. Except AU series, of course. :biggrin:

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I always consider myself optimistic going into the season. I felt like so many times last season we were just this close in many of the games - 8-14-1 in games 2 runs or less, which in many of those games comes down to 1-2 plays per game, or something as simple as failing to do the little things (2-out walks, scoring from 3rd less than 2 out, etc.) and I think a lot of games the guys were playing very timid because of fear of potential repercussions that would occur should they mess up in a situation, which more times than not actually causes you to mess up.

So going off of that purely emotional breakdown, little ole optimistic me thinks that a best case scenario for this upcoming season is something like 15-15 in the SEC, which just comes down to essentially holding serve at home and not getting swept on the road, and is not out of the realm of possibilities. The SEC schedule shapes up a little in our favor in that regard cause we miss Florida and Vandy, while 3 of the 4 from the East (UGA, UT, MIZZOU) are projected to finish in the bottom of the division. Obviously, we still have to play everyone in the West, and that's always a murderer's row when you're looking up at everyone, but again we lost 6 games against West opponents by 1-run.

Of course, if you're going to put out a best case, you need to be prepared for a worst case, and IMO, worst case is we get swept in most of the road series, maybe winning one game at UT, but then we get swept by any combo of UK, AU, Ole Miss, Miss St, etc. resulting in another 5-8 win SEC season.

Personally, I think after the debacle of last year, a 10-win SEC campaign would be a solid result which is just avoiding being swept, and anything over that is gravy. And I'm thinking that's an optimistic "realistic" case.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
There ain't but like 3 games at 3pm. I imagine most of it has to do with the games being over so late. The A&M series is a Thursday, Friday and Saturday series so that explains that early start. The other two are Valpo and WSU and I imagine WSU has to do with travel back home.

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
Wylie above, has the most accurate likely description of the team. A greater disaster looms as Bohannon cut pitchers from the 35 man roster who have gone to JUCOs and are pitching currently who could have been developed/used in case Brock Love and Garrett Rukes blow out their elbows again if they do come back in Feb. They just had TJ less than a year ago but were expected to be ready for Valpo. Not sure how that is physically possible. Many of the current pitchers didn't pitch in the fall due to physical issues. Gonna be an interesting season for sure.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Wylie above, has the most accurate likely description of the team. A greater disaster looms as Bohannon cut pitchers from the 35 man roster who have gone to JUCOs and are pitching currently who could have been developed/used in case Brock Love and Garrett Rukes blow out their elbows again if they do come back in Feb. They just had TJ less than a year ago but were expected to be ready for Valpo. Not sure how that is physically possible. Many of the current pitchers didn't pitch in the fall due to physical issues. Gonna be an interesting season for sure.
No way the TJ guys will be ready. Several players were cut but, they were not SEC talent at all. Last I heard we are at 32 players, with 3 of the pitchers still recovering from arm issues so, 29 players available. Jake should be our Friday night starter. Saturday and Sunday will likely be a drop off relative to last year which is why I don't see a better record. I do think we will see better fundamentals and energy so, I do expect better offensive numbers.

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
The players are enjoying Coach Bo I hear. It will take a little time to get the kind of players that he believes will be productive in his system. I'm betting it will be Jake on Friday, Finnerty on Saturdays and Medders on Sunday.

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
No Duarte?

I could see Dylan instead of Deacon. Toss up.
The scrimmages have been really low scoring this past two weeks. 1-0. 2-1. etc.
Maybe the pitching will be better than most people think. Or it could be the bats haven't come alive yet which is also possible this early.
I haven't seen where the new player, Brandon Hill, has participated yet in the twitter scrimmage updates. Not sure if the is gonna be dual role or a pitcher only.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
We really needed to have an impact newcomer join the staff for this year. Well, we are what we are. It's going to be another year of being patient.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.