Power companies ask customers to conserve or face blackouts during winter storms

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've been a week without power, happened four or five years ago. It's no fun.

I've got a tropical fishtank at my office, if my power goes down they will all go belly up if the water gets too cold. I guess I could get a generator, but it's cheaper to just replace the fish.

When the whole town is out of power, you find yourself dealing with things you didn't think of before. Such as, you need electricity to power the gas pump to put gas in your car. You'll need cash, all ATMs are down. If the lights go dark while you are at home, you need to be able to find either a candle or flashlight. A wind-up, self powered radio is nice to have. I remember at night, with no tv and no power to read by, I would sit by candlelight, and watch the beautiful colors reflected in mirrors from the candlelight. And on and on. I can't imagine what it's like in the Caribbean for months on end with no power.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Twice for me for winter storms. Once when I was a kid in Birmingham during a big snow. We were the "rich" folks in the family so we had to drive to where my grandmother was living because they heated the house with a wood-burning stove. Sometimes it pays to be poor.

A few years ago (20+??) we had a big ice storm and were out for a little over a week. I put my fish in a bucket and took them to my wife's parents house because they never lost power. I managed to save a few. The temperature did not plummet after this storm like they sometimes do so there was only freezing temperatures for a day or two. Have to keep the water flowing if the house has no heat and it gets really cold.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.