Some numbers showing the disparity in how Alabama is officiated

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think these rule changes to speed up the game are only a drop in the bucket. They won't speed it up much. A lot of the pundits feel that the clock should not stop on a 1st down. That would indeed speed up the game, but others feel that change would prevent some great comeback victories. Of course I can do without comeback victories like Clemson made against us in the championship 2 years ago.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
A rule change that was passed last year but put into effect this year is knee pads need to cover the knee.
I never understood the tendency to want to expose the knee cap to a helmet to knee hit with the shorter pants.
I think the skill players like the extra movement they get with the short pants. It also shows how rare low tackles have become.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
I think these rule changes to speed up the game are only a drop in the bucket. They won't speed it up much. A lot of the pundits feel that the clock should not stop on a 1st down. That would indeed speed up the game, but others feel that change would prevent some great comeback victories. Of course I can do without comeback victories like Clemson made against us in the championship 2 years ago.
I agree. My D3 games use the exact same clock rules. There are similar types of offenses, same number of scores, incomplete passes and first downs. Our average game time is 2:45. D1 average is like 3:25.

There are 2 main differences:
TV timeouts
Replay

These rule changes may shorten the game 5-10 minutes. The game clock only stops for about 5 seconds during most of the game on first down. Watch closely and the referee will wind the clock pretty quickly on first downs and out of bounds until time becomes a factor at the end of a half.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
I think the skill players like the extra movement they get with the short pants. It also shows how rare low tackles have become.
Definitely the reason. Kickers too.

I had a former college player tell me he was convinced there aren't many injuries knee pads prevent. I would think a helmet or shoulder pad to a knee cap would hurt and a knee pad would help. He was a receiver though so he may have been biased.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Unless the technology has improved when I was a HS receiver, I thought the knee pad was wholly ineffective in protecting the knee. It was definitely an inhibitor to movement and speed. I think with enough years of evidence you could make the argument that knee pads increased the risk of knee injury.

I think now think the rules committee is trying to address safety concerns where there isnt an issue.

If they would just focus on minimizing the head injuries then you can deal with the other stuff.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.