Final 247Sports Rankings for 2018

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Here is an article and link for 247Sports final rankings. The article details our signees and targets. Anoma up to #3, going to be a beast.

For the ones worried we are up to #5 on 247 after the re-ranking. They show us with 14 signees and 4 commits for a total of 18. I know Michael Parker will greyshirt and many think Quay Walker and Vernon Jackson will not be part of this class (hoping Walker is). This leaves us with 8 more and I think we may can get to #3 if we finish strong.

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...ts-and-targets-rank-in-final-Top247-113879983

Last edited:

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Dawg fans have been debating this all day with many scratching their head trying to figure out the wild swings. I'd like some documented explanation by 247Sports on how these final evaluations were conducted and a better understanding of why some guys lost stars while others gained.

I speculated these new rankings were primarily the result of All Star practice evaluations. Such evaluations and changes to rankings would naturally have a ripple effect throughout the list. However, I'm not sure that's an entirely subjective method, if in fact that was the reasoning.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Dawg fans have been debating this all day with many scratching their head trying to figure out the wild swings. I'd like some documented explanation by 247Sports on how these final evaluations were conducted and a better understanding of why some guys lost stars while others gained.

I speculated these new rankings were primarily the result of All Star practice evaluations. Such evaluations and changes to rankings would naturally have a ripple effect throughout the list. However, I'm not sure that's an entirely subjective method, if in fact that was the reasoning.
The All Star practices and game evaluations are definitely a big part of it. I think they also rank on what team offers a player (we call this the "Bama bump" when some of our lower rated recruits get a rankings bump when they commit or sign with us). You guys probably need to get used to this also with the way Kirby is recruiting.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

if you make an all-star game, you can make some big jumps.....it has always been that way

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
if you make an all-star game, you can make some big jumps.....it has always been that way
There were some mysterious changes that took place. For example, James Cook was an All Star and balled during the game scoring two TD's (one pass TD and one run TD) and yet he dropped significantly. Brenton Cox was a 5 star and had 2 or 3 QB sacks during the All Star game and he also dropped and lost his Fifth star.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
There were some mysterious changes that took place. For example, James Cook was an All Star and balled during the game scoring two TD's (one pass TD and one run TD) and yet he dropped significantly. Brenton Cox was a 5 star and had 2 or 3 QB sacks during the All Star game and he also dropped and lost his Fifth star.
Stats in one game usually means very little. I assume they were looking live at the size, agility, desire, etc. of still developing kids. May be that some more respected evaluators had a different opinion than the ones who had given the previous ranking. The truth is, as you've seen, it is extremely subjective. These evaluations have merit but they are anything but precise. Just think about the NFL: with the most highly skilled evaluators in the world, far more time to spend on each player, 4 more critical years of development, a tiny pool compared to the one college evaluators assess, and still 50% of 1st round draft choices bust. Overall you want the higher rated kids, but any specific evaluation can be wrong. The number 1 class may not be much better than number 10, if at all, though I would rather have number 1. The "recruiting industry" has made millions on the false assumption that their rankings are precise. Not blaming them, they usually acknowledge the subjectivity of their rankings, but many fans wanting to hang their hat on anything, take these rankings more seriously than they should. Again, not blasting the "recruiting industry", just that the fans read more into these evaluations than even the evaluators do.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
There are some prejudices behind the scenes. You just have to look at the ownership of the rankings site and see who they are supporters of...

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
All this stuff is garbage now. These next 8 recruits will define where Bama lands ultimately and I like our chances. If I had to grade filling our coaching vacancies it would have to be A+ and all of these new guys should certainly make a splash in this cycle. We have two former recruiting coordinators from TAMU and PSU coming on board who have been recruiting some of the same kids we have been and that really gives us some momentum. The future of recruiting looks bright for us and I truly believe that future starts today.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
All this stuff is garbage now. These next 8 recruits will define where Bama lands ultimately and I like our chances. If I had to grade filling our coaching vacancies it would have to be A+ and all of these new guys should certainly make a splash in this cycle. We have two former recruiting coordinators from TAMU and PSU coming on board who have been recruiting some of the same kids we have been and that really gives us some momentum. The future of recruiting looks bright for us and I truly believe that future starts today.
I don't know if the new coaches can make a real difference in the '18 class but we will be a machine moving forward with the new coaches/recruiters added to the staff. Seeing all the true freshmen on the field during the NC game should not be the only thing that scares our opponents.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I don't know if the new coaches can make a real difference in the '18 class but we will be a machine moving forward with the new coaches/recruiters added to the staff. Seeing all the true freshmen on the field during the NC game should not be the only thing that scares our opponents.
I think they can make a pretty immediate splash as soon as this weekend just from the news of the new hires. I mean, Kirby has turned into to recruiting public enemy number one and seems his youth/energy has been key to swaying many of his #1 class so far. We just now addressed that. We have a huge recruiting weekend fresh off a Natty and I am sure some if not all of these coaches will be on hand for these recruits and parents to meet. Add to that Nick's Living Legend status and we could sweep the floor in recruiting getting who we want this weekend as well as a few others out there.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Stats in one game usually means very little. I assume they were looking live at the size, agility, desire, etc. of still developing kids. May be that some more respected evaluators had a different opinion than the ones who had given the previous ranking. The truth is, as you've seen, it is extremely subjective. These evaluations have merit but they are anything but precise. Just think about the NFL: with the most highly skilled evaluators in the world, far more time to spend on each player, 4 more critical years of development, a tiny pool compared to the one college evaluators assess, and still 50% of 1st round draft choices bust. Overall you want the higher rated kids, but any specific evaluation can be wrong. The number 1 class may not be much better than number 10, if at all, though I would rather have number 1. The "recruiting industry" has made millions on the false assumption that their rankings are precise. Not blaming them, they usually acknowledge the subjectivity of their rankings, but many fans wanting to hang their hat on anything, take these rankings more seriously than they should. Again, not blasting the "recruiting industry", just that the fans read more into these evaluations than even the evaluators do.
Unfortunately we now live in a world where the media puts a lot of stock in these rankings and programs use them to market to kids. Therefore, when a recruiting aggregator like 247Sports makes dramatic changes to their Top 100 people are going to take notice and start asking very relevant questions. Personally, I think 247Sports has shot themselves in the foot and will lose a lot of subscribers, because they've tarnished their credibility big time.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Unfortunately we now live in a world where the media puts a lot of stock in these rankings and programs use them to market to kids. Therefore, when a recruiting aggregator like 247Sports makes dramatic changes to their Top 100 people are going to take notice and start asking very relevant questions. Personally, I think 247Sports has shot themselves in the foot and will lose a lot of subscribers, because they've tarnished their credibility big time.
No offense, but LOL........247 has gone from zero to the Primary source for most people. This happens every year. You are just noticing it this year because it put a ding in UGAs rankings.....not a big ding, but a ding nonetheless. Some kids come on strong, others have injuries or grade issues. Some just peak early - and then there are "upside" issues that surface.

But these rankings always change between Summer, then December and February. It's normal.....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Show us where the bad man from 247 hurt you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You may want to follow another service but they all have final evals. Did you notice if any of your signees moved up? That happens also. It happens every year when the final ranking comes out and as Cajun points out you are just now noticing what what we have noticed since Saban arrived. BTW, the best marketing tool a program has is a Natty so keep plugging.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Looked into it, and apparently a Gator guy dropped Cox because of "lack of film". Seems to be a little conspiracy and people are upset

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Looked into it, and apparently a Gator guy dropped Cox because of "lack of film". Seems to be a little conspiracy and people are upset
Uh, how is it that I've seen film on Cox and don't have any recruiting subscriptions and this guy who's in the business couldn't get film? Very lame indeed.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
You may want to follow another service but they all have final evals. Did you notice if any of your signees moved up? That happens also. It happens every year when the final ranking comes out and as Cajun points out you are just now noticing what what we have noticed since Saban arrived. BTW, the best marketing tool a program has is a Natty so keep plugging.
Completely agree with your last statement. Winning Natty's is the way to go! ;-)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Quite right! :cool: FWIW, the new Rival Rankings shifted the Top Teams on the 247Sports rankings. Ohio St. is now back on top. Ugh!!!
3 programs are going to have great classes this year and every year for a while - just be glad that GA is in the club.

:cheers2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.