Link: How Steve Sarkisian Torpedoed Atlanta's Super-Bowl Hopes

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
An interesting video from a scout and film analyst breaking down Steve Sarkisian's game plan against the Philadelphia Eagles. After watching the Falcons play this season it would appear that this is not an isolated incident. After watching this vid, what do you think?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I watched almost every Falcons game this year. I was hoping Pete Carroll would steal Sark away. I was even going to help Sark pack. We should send Dan Quinn a fruit basket thanking him for taking Sark off our hands

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I watched almost every Falcons game this year. I was hoping Pete Carroll would steal Sark away. I was even going to help Sark pack. We should send Dan Quinn a fruit basket thanking him for taking Sark off our hands
We'll send it out the same time we send Rita her roses and chocolates for her contribution to our success. ;)

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I remember when Kyle Shanahan was the Falcons' OC in 2015. Everybody hated him, wanted him fired and run out of town on a rail by the end of the season.

Then came 2016. The Falcons' offense was the highest-scoring in the league and Super Bowl bound. Shanahan was named NFL Assistant Coach of the Year, and hired as the Head Coach of the 49ers.

Not saying Sarkisian is going to have that kind of success. Just saying it may be a bit premature to bury him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I remember when Kyle Shanahan was the Falcons' OC in 2015. Everybody hated him, wanted him fired and run out of town on a rail by the end of the season.

Then came 2016. The Falcons' offense was the highest-scoring in the league and Super Bowl bound. Shanahan was named NFL Assistant Coach of the Year, and hired as the Head Coach of the 49ers.

Not saying Sarkisian is going to have that kind of success. Just saying it may be a bit premature to bury him.
That maybe what Quinn and Falcon ownership are leaning on. There's something to be said with familiarity. I think one of the problems with Shanahan's offense was it is filled with nuances (sight adjustments) and a lot of verbiage. "The kids" these days are used to pictures on poster board being held up on the sideline.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Kyle Shanahan was implementing a different offense. There were going to be growing pains. Sark just called the same plays that were already in the playbook and did a terrible job of doing it. Did you even watch the attached video?

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Atlanta should hire Todd Haley asap. He's a hothead but a hell of an offensive coordinator. The Steelers let him walk after the season because he and prima donna Roethlesberger were never best buddies (BR never got over the Steelers getting rid of his golfing buddy Bruce Arians, who was getting him killed with the lack of QB protection in his scheme).

BR had his best seasons as a pro with Haley there (and he was great with the Cardinals and Kurt Warner). Pittsburgh got beat 45-42 in the playoffs last weekend against a Jacksonville team who has a great defense, terrible offense, and they get rid of the OC. It's not gonna happen but they would be smart to hire him as he would light it up with the offensive pieces that they have in place.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Atlanta should hire Todd Haley asap. He's a hothead but a hell of an offensive coordinator. The Steelers let him walk after the season because he and prima donna Roethlesberger were never best buddies (BR never got over the Steelers getting rid of his golfing buddy Bruce Arians, who was getting him killed with the lack of QB protection in his scheme).

BR had his best seasons as a pro with Haley there (and he was great with the Cardinals and Kurt Warner). Pittsburgh got beat 45-42 in the playoffs last weekend against a Jacksonville team who has a great defense, terrible offense, and they get rid of the OC. It's not gonna happen but they would be smart to hire him as he would light it up with the offensive pieces that they have in place.
I agree. I am pretty sure Haley did not commit 7 turnovers in 2 games against the Jags.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We were indeed fortunate that Atlanta 'stole Sark' from us. I have to wonder what was going thru his mind while he was Daydreaming instead of watching film.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, Matt Ryan's poor execution in the red zone cost Atlanta this game as much as anything else. Not propping up Sark, but Ryan was a train wreck in the red zone in this game. His reads and progressions took too long, and his passes were late. He had open receivers that he never looked at on many plays. And, as much as I hate to say it, Julio had a chance to win the game and let the ball go through his hands on the last play of the game.

Dumping that all on Sark is a mistake, IMO.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
IMO, Matt Ryan's poor execution in the red zone cost Atlanta this game as much as anything else. Not propping up Sark, but Ryan was a train wreck in the red zone in this game. His reads and progressions took too long, and his passes were late. He had open receivers that he never looked at on many plays. And, as much as I hate to say it, Julio had a chance to win the game and let the ball go through his hands on the last play of the game.

Dumping that all on Sark is a mistake, IMO.
In general his eyes seemed to be out of sync with the timing of the plays all game. This was exacerbated in the red-zone.

His completion to Sanu over the middle was an unforgivably late throw that almost wasn't completed after Sanu had been open for an interminable amount of time.

Perhaps, though, that can be attributed more to a game-plan problem. His reads are going to be based on what should have the highest probability of working and those first few reads were always clamped down upon. OTOH It seemed that he wasn't coming off those reads fast enough to his other receivers.

It was a mess to be sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.