What do you take when you’re sick?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Typically go with Evan Williams or Old Granddad, but this is the best.

I've had a few sinus surgeries.

Deviated septum and turbinate surgery almost 10 years ago.

Sinuplasty about six years later (ENT realized he needed to fix my deviated septum again while performing the surgery).

Pretty sure I'll only ever clearly breathe the first few weeks after a sinus surgery before going back to having congested sinuses.

My ENT suggested doing the saline sinus rinse but warned that I would need to be careful because it could also have a reverse effect by some water staying in my sinus cavities, which would lead to an infection.
Sounds like you should just snort the whiskey of your choice.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Whenever anyone is our house is heavily congested, we use a spray called Sinus Busters. It's basically shooting tear gas up your nose and it does burn for a few seconds, but using it 2-3 times about 5 minutes apart works well for us. My daughter could handle it at about 7, but that was pushing it. Now she asks for it when she can't breath because it helps her so much. Anyone else used it?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
So stupid question. But does the humidifier have to be right next to you on your bedside table to be able to tell a difference or does it matter how close it is to you while you sleep? And another stupid question. Does it make your stuff wet? Like will it mess up art on the walls or books and magazines I have lying around.
As long as it's in the room, you're good. I haven't had a problem with it making things wet. Ours works with wick filters --think of them as REALLY porous sponges. the bottom of the filter rests in water from the tank, and the water wicks up to soak the entire filter. A fan pulls air through the filter and out the top or the unit. So it's not dispersing mist so much as dispersing more humid air.

As for what I take when I'm sick--once I start coughing, I break out the hot apple cider and rum.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I'm like CA. I take my Zyrtec and Nasacort daily. I think it keeps me from getting sick and helps prevent sinus congestion due to allergies which can turn into sinus infections.

As far as expensive CA, I buy the 2-month size of each at a time. I think it cost about $30 a month total. Some of us don't have a gazillion dollar sound studio and a fleet of Land Cruisers.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
FWIW, at Costco:
A three-pack of Nasocort is $35.
A one-year supply (365 pills) of Allertec (generic zyrtec) is $14.
Thanks. No wonder you're rich and I have no money!!:)

Just looked up allertec at Costco. That is a great price.Thanks.

Last edited:

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I used to go to the clinic and get a steroid shot and take antibiotics. Now, I pound 2000 mg of vitamin C. I mix up a Doterra oil allergy shooter of 2 drops each of lemon, lavender, peppermint, and melaleuca in two ounces of water. I believe pounding the vitamin C really reduces the length of time that I suffer from a sinus infection. They usually would last a week, now they only last about 2 days.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
I have asthma an this time of the year is usually the worst for me. Always starts as a sinus infection, then it gets in my chest, bronchitis. This year I’ve tried a couple different things, both inexpensive. I’m taking Zinc, 50mg every evening before bed and I’m also taking 1-2tbsp of unrefined coconut oil, coconut oil is a fantastic anti microbial, bacterial an anti viral. Been taking this since August an so far I haven’t had any issues with my sinuses! Hope this helps.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I'm a big fan of Bionaire. Mold/mildew can be an issue, but you can clean the filters with hot water and a bit of lysol and or clorox. Some of the newer models are filterless and have some sort of antimicrobial action.

They will make a huge difference.
So, I wanted to thank you for the suggestion about the humidifier. I bought one off QVC so I could return it if I didn’t like it. It’s a 72 hour run time, so I liked that. Anyway, I can already tell a difference with just one week of use. I haven’t had a sore throat, and my stuffiness is much better.

I have noticed since using it that when I wake up my ears are itching. You know the inside the ear canal itch you get sometimes with allergies. It’s every morning. I’ll get up and turn the humidifier off and take my Claritin and it goes away. Wonder what is causing this? But I’ll take the itching ears over stuffiness any day.

My bedroom is small, and I keep the machine on the lowest setting, but there is condensation in the machine every morning. Maybe too much humidity, but it doesn’t go any lower.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So, I wanted to thank you for the suggestion about the humidifier. I bought one off QVC so I could return it if I didn’t like it. It’s a 72 hour run time, so I liked that. Anyway, I can already tell a difference with just one week of use. I haven’t had a sore throat, and my stuffiness is much better.

I have noticed since using it that when I wake up my ears are itching. You know the inside the ear canal itch you get sometimes with allergies. It’s every morning. I’ll get up and turn the humidifier off and take my Claritin and it goes away. Wonder what is causing this? But I’ll take the itching ears over stuffiness any day.

My bedroom is small, and I keep the machine on the lowest setting, but there is condensation in the machine every morning. Maybe too much humidity, but it doesn’t go any lower.
Be sure and get a hygrometer, so you know what your humidity is. You shouldn't have condensation. For one thing, dust mites become active at 50% at room temperature. By "active," read "pooping," which humans are allergic to. You don't want to swap on allergen for another...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.