What do you take when you’re sick?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So back around thanksgiving I stated developing a sinus infection. Sore throat, stuffiness, headaches, etc. It got worse about two weeks later, so I went to urgent care. They prescribed me some antiobiotcs and steriod injection. It took a few days, but it got better. I felt good for a few days then it started all I’ve again. Ever since it’s been off and on stuffiness, sore throat. All that mess. Around Christmas and New Year I was prescribed two rounds of stronger antiobiotics for my tooth that’s infected. I finished that this week, and my sinus mess has started again. I’ll have 3-4 days where I’m not stuffy, but then it starts all over.

I’m full force into second semester and I can’t afford to be sick like this all winter and it’s been going on too long. I take vitamin c and antihistamine every morning. What else can I take to combat this mess? I don’t like taking all that OTC stuff because it doesn’t help me much.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I take over the counter Zyrtec and Nasacort. Fairly expensive. Ocean saline nasal spray is helpful. I concluded a long time ago that my problem was allergies instead of sinus infections. If needed, I always get a 10 day supply of antibiotics. Seven days wasn't enough.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’m not sure if mine is allergies or sinus infections or a combo of both. Three rounds of antiobiotics isn’t curing it. A few days after I’m off them, this mess starts again. I probably need to go to an ENT, but I don’t have time.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
For over a month I've had this. Allergy and sinus infection. Hard to shake. Promethazine DM syrup and Allegra-D have helped with the symptoms. It first got in my right eye. My nurse prescribed some drops that helped. Make sure any over the counter contains dextromethorphan for sinus drainage and nasal drip.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Particularly if you have gas heat, a humidifier may be useful. When it's as cold as it has been recently, the dry air can really irritate your sinuses; gas heat just makes the air even drier.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This advice may not be applicable to your situation, Jessica, but the few times I have had something I couldn't shake affecting my bronchial system, I took a Z pack. Available only with a script from your doctor.

I had to take two of them once a few years ago spaced apart by a few weeks to get rid of the bronchitis.

Terrible timing for this for you - good luck in shaking this!

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Particularly if you have gas heat, a humidifier may be useful. When it's as cold as it has been recently, the dry air can really irritate your sinuses; gas heat just makes the air even drier.
Been needing to get one, but I’m not sure which is best. I know you have to watch for mold and mildew in some of them if not all.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Been needing to get one, but I’m not sure which is best. I know you have to watch for mold and mildew in some of them if not all.
I'm a big fan of Bionaire. Mold/mildew can be an issue, but you can clean the filters with hot water and a bit of lysol and or clorox. Some of the newer models are filterless and have some sort of antimicrobial action.

They will make a huge difference.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Usually when I end up with a bad sinus infection it's a run of Mucinex, Zyrtec medicine, and drinking plenty of Sweet Tea with Jack Daniels, Honey, and Lemon in it. Usually some orange juice for a boost of vitamin c as well.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i have been dealing with chronic sinusitis or whatever they call it for quite a while. i had a ct scan done of my sinuses last week and am waiting on the results to see if i need sinus surgery

last summer when i had my annual follow up brain mri, the neurosurgeon's p.a. told me the brain looked fine, but my sinuses are jacked up and suggested i see an ent.

i don't find that any medication gives me any real relief. the ent gave me a 10 day round of penicillin back in november and i had 8 days of absolute clear sinuses, it was weird as i hadn't felt that in at least 2.5 years. then it came roaring back. i will take sudafed and various cold medicines when i get colds (which is quite regularly these days). they don't do much except to make it a little less miserable. i have tried all of the nasal sprays, allergy meds etc with no effect. i also do the neti pot/saline rinse daily.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Usually when I end up with a bad sinus infection it's a run of Mucinex, Zyrtec medicine, and drinking plenty of Sweet Tea with Jack Daniels, Honey, and Lemon in it. Usually some orange juice for a boost of vitamin c as well.
Typically go with Evan Williams or Old Granddad, but this is the best.
i have been dealing with chronic sinusitis or whatever they call it for quite a while. i had a ct scan done of my sinuses last week and am waiting on the results to see if i need sinus surgery

last summer when i had my annual follow up brain mri, the neurosurgeon's p.a. told me the brain looked fine, but my sinuses are jacked up and suggested i see an ent.

i don't find that any medication gives me any real relief. the ent gave me a 10 day round of penicillin back in november and i had 8 days of absolute clear sinuses, it was weird as i hadn't felt that in at least 2.5 years. then it came roaring back. i will take sudafed and various cold medicines when i get colds (which is quite regularly these days). they don't do much except to make it a little less miserable. i have tried all of the nasal sprays, allergy meds etc with no effect. i also do the neti pot/saline rinse daily.
I've had a few sinus surgeries.

Deviated septum and turbinate surgery almost 10 years ago.

Sinuplasty about six years later (ENT realized he needed to fix my deviated septum again while performing the surgery).

Pretty sure I'll only ever clearly breathe the first few weeks after a sinus surgery before going back to having congested sinuses.

My ENT suggested doing the saline sinus rinse but warned that I would need to be careful because it could also have a reverse effect by some water staying in my sinus cavities, which would lead to an infection.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Typically go with Evan Williams or Old Granddad, but this is the best.

I've had a few sinus surgeries.

Deviated septum and turbinate surgery almost 10 years ago.

Sinuplasty about six years later (ENT realized he needed to fix my deviated septum again while performing the surgery).

Pretty sure I'll only ever clearly breathe the first few weeks after a sinus surgery before going back to having congested sinuses.

My ENT suggested doing the saline sinus rinse but warned that I would need to be careful because it could also have a reverse effect by some water staying in my sinus cavities, which would lead to an infection.
my ent is talking about doing endoscopic if we do it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've had good luck with sinus problems using clariton, I think that's how it's spelled. I used to have to have a prescription, but it's over the counter with no script required. Your problem may be more severe than mine but I get nearly instant relief when I take it. A tiny little pill.

I work downtown and when I see all these young girls around I wonder if one of them might be you. :)

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I'm a big fan of Bionaire. Mold/mildew can be an issue, but you can clean the filters with hot water and a bit of lysol and or clorox. Some of the newer models are filterless and have some sort of antimicrobial action.

They will make a huge difference.

So stupid question. But does the humidifier have to be right next to you on your bedside table to be able to tell a difference or does it matter how close it is to you while you sleep? And another stupid question. Does it make your stuff wet? Like will it mess up art on the walls or books and magazines I have lying around.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.