Link: New CFP Members announced

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
While I have always questioned the selected "selection committee", I do believe that they are batting 1000 so far. I can think of a few years, including this one, where the BCS would probably have been dead wrong.
So if it ain't broke, don't be fixin on it !

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
That's exactly my point. The committee is the the safeguard against the playoff being too tilted toward excellence as it should be. If the old BCS formula was employed, the odds are good that some of the media favorites would get all but forgotten in a few years. If we see another year when more than one SEC team makes the 4-team field, it will be an 8-team playoff before long.
If this past year had been 8 teams then 3 SEC teams would have made the playoffs. The expansion logic is killing me.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
If this past year had been 8 teams then 3 SEC teams would have made the playoffs. The expansion logic is killing me.
My only argument is if you’re selecting the 4 best teams, then quite possibly there’s a team that is undeniably good or better than the the top 3 and didn’t play for a conference title(*hint hint*)...otherwise expand to 8 and make it “fair” for all the P5 conference champions to get in with 3 at-large bids. But the problem with that is It will water down the remaining NY6 that are not semifinals, which I think the committee really wants to avoid along with the backlash of putting a team in everyone and their mother knows isn’t close to being a contender (see USCw, 2017)

Secondly, with 8-teams, schools should consider getting rid of the 12th game, to compensate for a 1st round being played after Conf. Champ week, but that’s robbing the networks and schools of money, plus the Mercer’s and Northern Somewhere State Universities of the world will miss out on getting destroyed for a million dollars by a P5 school.

And if you have a 8-team playoff then it becomes a participation trophy for teams we know don’t belong, so the only sense is to keep it at 4 and no more than 5 (via a play-in game similar to March Madness)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
We all know change is unstoppable and 6 or 8 teams are coming down the pike. BUT I think if you can't make the top four then you don't deserve the title anyway. When we have 8 teams I will say "if you can't make the top 8 then you don't deserve the title anyway.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Probably the most useless group ever assembled. For the life of me, I don't get that it was perfectly okay to have 2 teams selected for a title game without a committee in the BCS system, but to pick 4, it takes a committee. I'm sure that somewhere in the process it was determined that it was too dangerous to allow cold hard facts determine the results, but to turn it all into an eye test or a beauty contest seems like a long way to go.

I can answer this one. Just look:

BCS Poll For November 21, 2010
1) Auburn
2) Oregon
3) TCU
4) Boise State

They weren't letting TWO teams that had no business in there sneak in solely because "well, they didn't play nobody but they won" and the attendant media hype.

They don't want one in there, but they may have to bite the bullet sometime in the future. There's NO WAY they're letting 1/2 the teams be folks who didn't play anybody and have gamed the system.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's exactly my point. The committee is the the safeguard against the playoff being too tilted toward excellence as it should be.
Twice the committee has selected #4 seeds that the media ranted didn't belong there; twice that #4 seed has won the tournament. The committee
appears to be damn near infallible so far - and tilted in favor of excellence. If they weren't, Ohio State would have beaten us out.

If the old BCS formula was employed, the odds are good that some of the media favorites would get all but forgotten in a few years. If we see another year when more than one SEC team makes the 4-team field, it will be an 8-team playoff before long.
1) So far, the same four teams have made it that would have made it under the old BCS formula (as B1G has only pointed out something close to 300 times it seems)

2) The cry for eight-team playoff isn't coming from the schools, it's coming from fans and the media.

And I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

barrytide

BamaNation Citizen
May 3, 2011
Havana,IL
To some extent EVERY member has to rescue themselves at some point. Everyone has a favorite team. But the point of the committee is hopefully that one person can't run away with it.
My point was that AD's from a conference have to leave the room if any team from the conference is being discussed or voted on. Just find it weird that an alumnus can be present during discussions and vote on their school.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.