Link: New CFP Members announced

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
The CFP announced new members of the committee today. Included are Scott Strickland (UF AD), Joe Castiglione (OK AD),
Ronnie Lott (heck yeah), Todd Stansbury (GT AD), Ken Hatfield (former coach), Paola Boivin (sports writer)
Also Oregon AD Rob Mullens is new chair
Not sure who is dropping off the rotation

http://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2018/1/17/general-college-football-playoff-announces-selection-committee-class.aspx?path=general

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The CFP announced new members of the committee today. Included are Scott Strickland (UF AD), Joe Castiglione (OK AD),
Ronnie Lott (heck yeah), Todd Stansbury (GT AD), Ken Hatfield (former coach), Paola Boivin (sports writer)
Also Oregon AD Rob Mullens is new chair
Not sure who is dropping off the rotation

http://collegefootballplayoff.com/n...s-selection-committee-class.aspx?path=general
It was actually announced yesterday. A lot of interwebs posters think it is all a conspiracy.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It still baffles me that they have active Athletic Directors on there.
I thought long and hard about just exactly who should be on the committee. Sports Media? Former players? Former coaches? AD's, famous personalities? I guess the thinking is that AD's communicate a lot (I assume) and meet together occasionally and they don't want to be accused of favoritism by their peers. Just a theory. Other wise I can think of no reason. Or it could be they don't want to be tied down to ONLY coaches or ADs or Media and just mix it up.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I thought long and hard about just exactly who should be on the committee. Sports Media? Former players? Former coaches? AD's, famous personalities? I guess the thinking is that AD's communicate a lot (I assume) and meet together occasionally and they don't want to be accused of favoritism by their peers. Just a theory. Other wise I can think of no reason. Or it could be they don't want to be tied down to ONLY coaches or ADs or Media and just mix it up.
Considering AD's are responsible for ALL the sports at a school and not just football they aren't an obvious shoe-in for this sort of position. But eschewing naivety we can all come to understand that at many schools football is King and the AD is likely just the ultimate steward of the football program and whatever other silly little sports they may be playing in some forgotten corner of campus.

So, as an example, I really liked the appointment of Frank Beamer to the Committee. I like the idea of recently departed coaches as they are still in touch with the current pulse of the game but also bring perhaps decades worth of football experience. So I'd be all for someone like Bob Stoops getting appointed (even with his ties to OK). I also liked that Condoleeza Rice was on the committee as someone who could detach themselves a bit from the "Fraternity", so to speak, of football brethren. I think the Committee needs people with sharp minds who understand the sport but aren't indoctrinated in the running of a team. I thought she was an inspired choice.
I am not for sports writers being on the committee that decides who is the best team in the country. Those people are unqualified morons.

At best they could be described as ardent fans with opinions - no more qualified than any of us to render an opinion on who is worthy of admission.

In fact, if that's the way they are going to go each year they should have a huge drawing or CFB competition and leave open a spot for 1 fan of the game to be on the Committee. It would be a cool publicity stunt to get people to tune in and that person would likely have as much creditability as any sportswriter. (I understand I'm selling sportswriters a tad short, but the leap isn't a far one.)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I am not for sports writers being on the committee that decides who is the best team in the country. Those people are unqualified morons.

At best they could be described as ardent fans with opinions - no more qualified than any of us to render an opinion on who is worthy of admission.

In fact, if that's the way they are going to go each year they should have a huge drawing or CFB competition and leave open a spot for 1 fan of the game to be on the Committee. It would be a cool publicity stunt to get people to tune in and that person would likely have as much creditability as any sportswriter. (I understand I'm selling sportswriters a tad short, but the leap isn't a far one.)
No you are not. In fact, you are being far too kind to sportswriters with your description. There are only a very small number who you do a disservice to here. Extremely small. The vast majority are far worse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No you are not. In fact, you are being far too kind to sportswriters with your description. There are only a very small number who you do a disservice to here. Extremely small. The vast majority are far worse.
I think that sports writers who focus on a single sport tend to understand the sport very well. And career sports writers of this kind tend to be much more knowledgeable than the average fan. JessN is a great example of what a sports journalist can become when the focus is narrow enough to produce expertise.

But most sports journalists do not take the time to understand the nuances of the sports about which they write. Most really don't understand the rules, much less the formations and strategies employed. They drive coaches crazy with questions that demonstrate this lack of understanding, and their stories are focused on the wrong things - things which have nothing to do with the success or failure of a given play or game or player. But they do a great job playing on the emotions of their readers. That has become the required skill set of a journalist today.

I guess that my point is that some of these guys would make great committee members, but not many.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think that sports writers who focus on a single sport tend to understand the sport very well. And career sports writers of this kind tend to be much more knowledgeable than the average fan. JessN is a great example of what a sports journalist can become when the focus is narrow enough to produce expertise.

But most sports journalists do not take the time to understand the nuances of the sports about which they write. Most really don't understand the rules, much less the formations and strategies employed. They drive coaches crazy with questions that demonstrate this lack of understanding, and their stories are focused on the wrong things - things which have nothing to do with the success or failure of a given play or game or player. But they do a great job playing on the emotions of their readers. That has become the required skill set of a journalist today.

I guess that my point is that some of these guys would make great committee members, but not many.
Yes. Folks like JessN and Cecil Hurt are rare. I count it a great privilege that both also happen to be Alabama fans. But both are capable of being quite harsh about Alabama when it's necessary.

You are very correct about how most sportswriters today play on the emotions of the reader. In fact, that is why I have such little regard for them. They are themselves creatures of emotions, incapable of logic and reason. Emotion has a place, don't get me wrong. But not when we're deciding which teams get to the playoff.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Probably the most useless group ever assembled. For the life of me, I don't get that it was perfectly okay to have 2 teams selected for a title game without a committee in the BCS system, but to pick 4, it takes a committee. I'm sure that somewhere in the process it was determined that it was too dangerous to allow cold hard facts determine the results, but to turn it all into an eye test or a beauty contest seems like a long way to go.

On another note, seeing Ken Hatfield's name is a blast from the past and reminds me of my age. I recall when he was being touted as the next legendary coach, and for a while he looked tailor-made for the part.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

Most sports journalists care about the story -- the "human" story -- more than the actual sport itself. That's the primary issue. They're writers who happen to be writing about sports but never played or coached and don't understand on the game on a fundamentally higher level than many of their readers. It's not the nuances of the competition itself they know or care about, it's a compelling human narrative that they think they can sell.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Probably the most useless group ever assembled. For the life of me, I don't get that it was perfectly okay to have 2 teams selected for a title game without a committee in the BCS system, but to pick 4, it takes a committee. I'm sure that somewhere in the process it was determined that it was too dangerous to allow cold hard facts determine the results, but to turn it all into an eye test or a beauty contest seems like a long way to go.
On another note, seeing Ken Hatfield's name is a blast from the past and reminds me of my age. I recall when he was being touted as the next legendary coach, and for a while he looked tailor-made for the part.
Well a lot of people outside the SEC didn't agree with that assessment. That's why we have a committee.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Well a lot of people outside the SEC didn't agree with that assessment. That's why we have a committee.
That's exactly my point. The committee is the the safeguard against the playoff being too tilted toward excellence as it should be. If the old BCS formula was employed, the odds are good that some of the media favorites would get all but forgotten in a few years. If we see another year when more than one SEC team makes the 4-team field, it will be an 8-team playoff before long.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.