January 19 Weekend Visitor List

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Shane Beamer is leaving Georgia to become assistant coach at Oklahoma ... I wonder what that means for the recruits. Some of kids were shocked by this move.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Shane Beamer is leaving Georgia to become assistant coach at Oklahoma ... I wonder what that means for the recruits. Some of kids were shocked by this move.
There's some Twitter-related posts saying that some of the signees (Luke Ford especially) feel they were lied to

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There's some Twitter-related posts saying that some of the signees (Luke Ford especially) feel they were lied to
Would be curious how it played out because this has become the unfortunate norm.

Assistant coach gets recruits signed.

Assistant coach leaves for different job after LOI is received.

Recruits get upset.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Would be curious how it played out because this has become the unfortunate norm.

Assistant coach gets recruits signed.

Assistant coach leaves for different job after LOI is received.

Recruits get upset.
it happens after Feb, but it will most certainly occur tons after the Dec signing day. those recruits are going to be the ones most hurt most often.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
it happens after Feb, but it will most certainly occur tons after the Dec signing day. those recruits are going to be the ones most hurt most often.
Stuff like that will probably cause more guys to wait to Feb. in the future.

Most coaching changes are made in the first month or so after the regular season anyway.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
With success come more frequent poaching of coaches. Now Georgia gets to have that fun experience.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yep. I'm not sure there's a good way of around it unless NSD is moved until March when all coaching staffs should be finalized for spring practice. That would throw the entire recruiting timeline out of sorts, though.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Stuff like that will probably cause more guys to wait to Feb. in the future.

Most coaching changes are made in the first month or so after the regular season anyway.
Highly likely IMO, particularly with those recruits who are looking at the more successful, high profile programs. As we know, those are the ones who are most likely to have high coaching turnover.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Beamer wants to be a head coach, and sooner rather than later. He was not going to stay at GA as a ST and TEs coach for more than one more season. Not sure why the players would think differently, but understand why Ford would be upset if he was lied to.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yep. I'm not sure there's a good way of around it unless NSD is moved until March when all coaching staffs should be finalized for spring practice. That would throw the entire recruiting timeline out of sorts, though.
I'm not sure there is a good way around it either. The Feb NSD is a long process already for these kids and coaches so moving it out a month would only make it worse on that end. We had Ansley leave in a somewhat similar fashion and I don't know how our staff communicated this with the signees or if they even knew at the time. It sounds like Ford was told no way Beamer was leaving and it sounds like something Kirby and staff would have told him.

I think recruits have to know this is something that can happen and they need to sign with a school/team and not a coach.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'm not sure there is a good way around it either. The Feb NSD is a long process already for these kids and coaches so moving it out a month would only make it worse on that end. We had Ansley leave in a somewhat similar fashion and I don't know how our staff communicated this with the signees or if they even knew at the time. It sounds like Ford was told no way Beamer was leaving and it sounds like something Kirby and staff would have told him.

I think recruits have to know this is something that can happen and they need to sign with a school/team and not a coach.
That's very difficult. Personal relationships are a big factor in a kids decision. In many cases, it just can't be avoided.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Watching a player go through the recruiting process somewhat closely right now, that's much easier said than done.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Watching a player go through the recruiting process somewhat closely right now, that's much easier said than done.
I get it's not easy and I agree but with all the turnover it is something that should be thought through by the recruit. In the times we live in there are other boxes to check also like the educational part, campus life, co-eds :wink: etc that also should be considered knowing that is a real possibility a coach or staff may not be there the entire time.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.