Government shutdown tonight?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Nope. Republican. You don't get to pass the buck on this one.
Some Democrats are refusing to pass the bill because of DACA which has nothing to do with spending. Sometimes it is only republicans fault but this time it is both parties.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Historian Shearer Davis Bowman wrote, "The stability and health of representative, democratic government depends on effective political compromise. 'It is their willingness to compromise that makes politicians so indispensable and so untrustworthy,' historian James Oakes explains."

When it comes to budgeting, I would support a constitutional amendment to the effect that "if a Congress fails to adopt a budget before the start of the fiscal year, then every member of Congress shall be ejected from office as if they had died, and forever forbidden from ever holding any office at the federal level for the rest of their natural lives." We could call it the "civil death amendment." I'd wager that would fix this particular problem.
I wonder if Warren Buffett lifted that from him?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Some Democrats are refusing to pass the bill because of DACA which has nothing to do with spending. Sometimes it is only republicans fault but this time it is both parties.
There was a bipartisan bill that would have prevented the shutdown. GOP leadership refused to allow a vote on it. This is on Republicans, full stop.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
There was a bipartisan bill that would have prevented the shutdown. GOP leadership refused to allow a vote on it. This is on Republicans, full stop.
If eitger party dislikes a bill so much that they refuse to vote on it then it's not bipartisan. Now maybe the bill was a good piece of legislation ( when was the last time that happened) but if democrats are allowed to say it must have this list in the bill for us to vote on it, then they should not get mad when republicans do the same thing. Ofcourse at some point one of the parties will have to stop being petty and give the other what they want, but right now that is not happening.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
If eitger party dislikes a bill so much that they refuse to vote on it then it's not bipartisan.
That's simply incorrect. The DACA bill had the support of all Democrats, almost 10 GOP Senators, and may have ultimately had a veto-proof majority if a vote had been allowed. But McConnell has the authority to decide what makes it to the floor, and he refused to allow it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
As someone who is no more a "fan" of democrats than I am republicans, please tell me how this falls on the democrats when republicans control both houses and the White House. IOW, republicans don't need a single democrat vote to pass legislation and still can't - or won't - get it done.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
As someone who is no more a "fan" of democrats than I am republicans, please tell me how this falls on the democrats when republicans control both houses and the White House. IOW, republicans don't need a single democrat vote to pass legislation and still can't - or won't - get it done.
If it was simply voting to pass the budget, it would pass.

Both sides are trying to get "other stuff" into the bill.

Each side doesn't want to give in.

America is being held hostage by a bunch of children.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That's simply incorrect. The DACA bill had the support of all Democrats, almost 10 GOP Senators, and may have ultimately had a veto-proof majority if a vote had been allowed. But McConnell has the authority to decide what makes it to the floor, and he refused to allow it.

McConnell is a doofus, IMHO. A shining example of why we need to drain the swamp.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
They need 60 to end debate, then 50 to pass it next. Of course, the Rs can't even get to 50 on their own.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.