Government shutdown tonight?

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Standing their ground for DACA while preventing military pay is going to be put on them whether they like it or not because 51 is still not 60. DACAcrats trying to play the patriotic angle is just as stupid as the tea cuppers playing it with Obamacare.
#schumershutdown

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Standing their ground for DACA while preventing military pay is going to be put on them whether they like it or not because 51 is still not 60. DACAcrats trying to play the patriotic angle is just as stupid as the tea cuppers playing it with Obamacare.
#schumershutdown

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yep.....the Dems have a real opportunity here and are blowing it.

Got to pick and chose your battles.

That said......

:pDT_popc1:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/sen_doug_jones_backing_effort.html

Sen. Doug Jones is co-sponsoring a measure to continue paying military service members during the federal government shutdown that started Friday at midnight.

The measure was introduced by Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) shortly after members of the U.S. Senate failed to reach an agreement to keep the government running before the Friday deadline. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell objected to the motion, according to the Washington Post.

According to the Post, a Pentagon planning memo stated that uniformed active duty military members are expected to continue performing their duties, but will not get paid until the shutdown ends.

"Around the world and here at home, our military and their families continue to serve during this shutdown," Jones said in a statement. "Senator McConnell pledged that we would vote on a measure to guarantee that they will continue to get paid, but two days later he still hasn't kept his promise to hold a vote. I co-sponsored this measure immediately after the shutdown took effect early Saturday morning because our troops don't deserve to become a pawn in this political game. I am calling on the Majority Leader to bring this bill to an immediate vote in the Senate so we can provide certainty to those brave men and women who continue to sacrifice on our behalf."

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The party of reducing the military and closing bases is genuinely interested in keeping the military money flowing to the troops out of the goodness in their hearts. Lol.....ok!
Hey, you found your way out of your safe space. I thought you got lost in there. Welcome back.

Who said anything about goodness of their hearts? The fact is they introduced the bill and McConnell wouldn't let it go up for a vote. Shumer then said that if the problem is that a Dem authored it then have a Republican do it and we'll applaud it and pass it. Still nothing.

So the flip side of your statement is that the party that is all patriotism, ra-ra troops, expand the military, would rather cut their noses off to spite their face than pay the troops. So you're mad at the party that "hates the troops" but wants to keep them paid in this situation but supporting the party that "loves the troops" and doesn't. Makes perfect sense for the Mental Gymnastic Gold Medalists around here.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Hey, you found your way out of your safe space. I thought you got lost in there. Welcome back.

Who said anything about goodness of their hearts? The fact is they introduced the bill and McConnell wouldn't let it go up for a vote. Shumer then said that if the problem is that a Dem authored it then have a Republican do it and we'll applaud it and pass it. Still nothing.

So the flip side of your statement is that the party that is all patriotism, ra-ra troops, expand the military, would rather cut their noses off to spite their face than pay the troops. So you're mad at the party that "hates the troops" but wants to keep them paid in this situation but supporting the party that "loves the troops" and doesn't. Makes perfect sense for the Mental Gymnastic Gold Medalists around here.
the signal was sent out over the weekend and the derp continues apace.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The party of reducing the military and closing bases is genuinely interested in keeping the military money flowing to the troops out of the goodness in their hearts. Lol.....ok!
Is closing a military base a threat to national security? If we can get by with fewer bases and save money, what’s the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here is the problem with that measure. It ONLY funds the military. It doesnt fund VA nurses, VA workers, national parks, or any other government services affected. Who gets paid has to be all or none, and no DACAcrat is going to go for the all because it takes away leverage. Again Democrats are looking just as stupid as the Republicans as the minutes tick by, and are in real danger in a mid term election that had their names all over it.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Here is the problem with that measure. It ONLY funds the military. It doesnt fund VA nurses, VA workers, national parks, or any other government services affected. Who gets paid has to be all or none, and no DACAcrat is going to go for the all because it takes away leverage. Again Democrats are looking just as stupid as the Republicans as the minutes tick by, and are in real danger in a mid term election that had their names all over it.
Eh, I wouldn't read too much into that. Government shutdowns haven't really affected election results historically. It will likely get rectified then forgotten just like the last one.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ffect-big-in-the-short-term-small-after-that/

The long term

All that said, and even if there is quick shutdown effect in the polls, the midterm elections are not until November. With Trump in the White House, it’s difficult for any story to stay at the top of the news cycle for more than a few days. With that in mind, it’s easy to see one side picking up political support in the immediate aftermath of the shutdown, only for that bump to fade with time.

Indeed, prior shutdowns haven’t had long-term electoral implications. Republicans recovered on the generic ballot by February 1996, just a month after the final shutdown of that period ended. And in the elections later that year, they held onto their majorities in both the House and Senate. Clinton, meanwhile, recovered his lost support by March 1996. He would go on to easily win reelection later in 1996.

Basically, America put the same people who shut the government down back in office.

The 2013 shutdown tells the same story. Despite losing the blame game, Republicans jumped to a lead on the generic ballot by late November 2013 — their first of the year. In the 2014 midterms, they expanded their majority in the House and won back the Senate. Meanwhile, Obama continued a long-term decline in his approval ratings in the months following the 2013 shutdown, but recovered to his pre-shutdown approval level by April 2014.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
they don't care who it hurts as long as it hurts the left too or more. It's the GOP entire philosophy at this point. why is anyone surprised?
cleek's law uber alles

it also seems to be the underlying philosophy of a large portion of the "but both sides do it" crowd

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
they don't care who it hurts as long as it hurts the left too or more. It's the GOP entire philosophy at this point. why is anyone surprised?
Is it just the GOP's philosophy Jon? Again, we get bogged down in rhetoric here, but I guarantee you both "parties" are about to make someone very rich based on something we're not seeing that's going on in the background.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.