Government shutdown tonight?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I know we have at least one poster who relies on CHIP, and had believed the GOP's promise to take care of it after the last CR refused to fund it (again) over Democratic objection. I wish their faith in the Republican party had been better rewarded.
They were always intent on keeping it around as a bargaining chip. They could introduce a bill and have it on the president's desk any time they want without the dems' help.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
It was a safe yes if he doesn't mind upsetting people who worked to get him elected. If he thinks cooperating with GOPers will help him get reelected he's delusional. Parker Griffith actually switched from Dem to Rep midterm and the GOP retired him in the next primary anyway.
I'm fairly certain Chuck gave the OK to certain Senators in competitive or vulnerable states to vote with the Rs knowing he still had enough votes to accomplish what he wanted. Plus, I'm not so sure Doug is upsetting his base. His number one issue was CHIP. He campaigned hard on that one.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Pretty sure they had mostly done their job until Mr. Super Deal Maker said nevermind I won't actually sign what you bring me despite what I just said.

That's an over simplification - things are never that simple when politicians are involved. Someone is always trying to screw the system and thus screw the country.

These guys would be imprisoned if it were not for our current political system.

Laughable.....

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
They were always intent on keeping it around as a bargaining chip. They could introduce a bill and have it on the president's desk any time they want without the dems' help.
That's what makes this shutdown so dumb. The GOP says it wants to fund CHIP and protect dreamers. But then they don't. Repeatedly. And we learned yesterday that they're willing to shut down the government in order to avoid introducing the legislation they claim to support.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Historian Shearer Davis Bowman wrote, "The stability and health of representative, democratic government depends on effective political compromise. 'It is their willingness to compromise that makes politicians so indispensable and so untrustworthy,' historian James Oakes explains."

When it comes to budgeting, I would support a constitutional amendment to the effect that "if a Congress fails to adopt a budget before the start of the fiscal year, then every member of Congress shall be ejected from office as if they had died, and forever forbidden from ever holding any office at the federal level for the rest of their natural lives." We could call it the "civil death amendment." I'd wager that would fix this particular problem.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Historian Shearer Davis Bowman wrote, "The stability and health of representative, democratic government depends on effective political compromise. 'It is their willingness to compromise that makes politicians so indispensable and so untrustworthy,' historian James Oakes explains."

When it comes to budgeting, I would support a constitutional amendment to the effect that "if a Congress fails to adopt a budget before the start of the fiscal year, then every member of Congress shall be ejected from office as if they had died, and forever forbidden from ever holding any office at the federal level for the rest of their natural lives." We could call it the "civil death amendment." I'd wager that would fix this particular problem.
Canada has an interesting way if doing things. If a budget isn't passed, an election is automatically triggered.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
EBT cards are still working - Democrat Jesus
I'm referring more to employees that through no fault of their own (they didn't balloon the government up to it's bloated status) are now facing a lot of uncertainty about money, bills, stress, etc. I know because my father went through it before. And while they usually get backpay even though it's not guaranteed, the bills still keep coming and the stress doesn't stop.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/government-shutdown-affect/story?id=52463538

Some history
There have been 12 shutdowns since 1981, ranging in duration from a single day to 21 days, according to the Congressional Research Service. The last shutdown happened in 2013 and lasted 16 days.

Nearly 800,000 federal employees were out of work without pay. In addition, more than a million other working employees had their paychecks delayed. On day five of the shutdown, Congress voted to give the furloughed government employees retroactive pay.

Meanwhile, some members of Congress kept collecting their paychecks, while others voluntarily gave up their checks. According to estimates by the financial services company Standards & Poor’s, the last government shutdown cost America $24 billion, or $1.5 billion a day.

All active duty (and reserve components on federal active duty) continue to work during a shutdown. Civilian personnel with the Department of the Defense who are deemed essential to "excepted" activities will also continue to work. However, both groups would not be paid until after the shutdown ends.

Non-essential Department of Defense civilian employees will be furloughed. During the 2013 shutdown, 400,000 of the department's 800,000 civilian workers were furloughed without pay, though they were later repaid after the shutdown.

Government contracts that were fully funded prior to the shutdown will continue, but new contracts (including renewals or extensions) will be halted.

Additionally, families will not receive the $100,000 death benefit provided for fallen service members. That money can cover funeral costs and family travel. It also helps to bridge the sudden halt of once-regular paychecks that the deceased was receiving -- paychecks that end immediately after the individual is killed.

So a bit more than just foodstamps are impacted.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Canada has an interesting way if doing things. If a budget isn't passed, an election is automatically triggered.

Great ideas and would be a good start to drain the swamp......

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who is home in Arizona battling brain cancer, blasted colleagues in both parties early Saturday, saying the shutdown “is a direct result of the breakdown of cooperation in Congress.“ “As Republicans and Democrats run to cable news to point fingers and assign blame, the hard reality is that all of us share responsibility for this failure,“ McCain said in a statement.
We will not negotiate the status of unlawful immigrants while Democrats hold our lawful citizens hostage over their reckless demands,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement. “This is the behavior of obstructionist losers, not legislators. When Democrats start paying our armed forces and first responders we will reopen negotiations on immigration reform.”
Republicans resolved not to submit to the minority party’s demands to negotiate, while Democrats largely unified to use the shutdown deadline to force concessions on numerous issues — including protections for hundreds of thousands of young undocumented immigrants.
Too much leveraging going on between the parties........both parties are to blame here, IMHO, but it's the Dems who are trying to add stuff in as a way of leveraging the other side against the public. That's par for the course in Washington. Drain the Swamp! :p

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...df0b94bb98a_story.html?utm_term=.354f40d78991

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.