Government shutdown tonight?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is time to recall the last one.
We shut down the government because the Congress has not appropriated money to keep it open. Money, therefore cannot be expended. Okay, so shut the gates, turn off the lights and water.
Yet, last time, the US government went to great expense to block off national parks and monuments, even ones that cost nothing to remain "open," in an effort to punish the administration's enemies: the American people.
This was my favorite example.

This monument costs nothing to remain "open" but we spent money to put a barricade in front of it.
Only a federal moron would think that this barricade would stop someone from visiting the monument.
Anyway, let the silly games begin.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
This whole situation is ridiculous. Trump said bring me something and I will sign it. They brought him something and he didn't like it. Didn't civil servants get back paid for the shutdown time the last shutdown? Crazy

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This whole situation is ridiculous. Trump said bring me something and I will sign it. They brought him something and he didn't like it. Didn't civil servants get back paid for the shutdown time the last shutdown? Crazy
That's the crazy thing. I was in the Army for the last one and I had to send home all my civil servants and then I had to go around to their homes on day 2 or 3 (they were not allowed to come into the office) and get them to sign counseling statements about what they could and could not do during the shutdown, and then, once the two parties got over their temper tantrum, all those civil servants got all the back pay for sitting on their backsides over the previous week or weeks because "it wasn't their fault." The taxpayers saved nothing (they just got less work out of their employees), but it did retard the economy, so it had that going for it.

Mind, you, if they are going to shut down the federal government, let's do it permanently and after a few years of no salary, all the slack-jawed booger-eating morons hanging out in Washington waiting like the cargo cult for the money hose to be turned back on will eventually go home and get real jobs. Then we can reconstruct the system with better safeguards to protect us from slack-jawed booger-eating morons next time around.

Last edited:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
From my admittedly limited understanding of the Constitution, while the government is shutdown, federal laws are no longer in effect. So please stay inside and blockade doors and windows. And if you do decide to Purge, do so responsibly. :)

Last edited:

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
I also believe the OK probably came from Schumer, who knew he had the votes to derail this even without him and the others. Case in point, all of those votes are in competitive states this cycle, except Jones who’s not up until 2020.
I agree. Politics is all just a game with a 2 party system.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
He knew it wouldn't pass so it was a safe yes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
It was a safe yes if he doesn't mind upsetting people who worked to get him elected. If he thinks cooperating with GOPers will help him get reelected he's delusional. Parker Griffith actually switched from Dem to Rep midterm and the GOP retired him in the next primary anyway.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I know we have at least one poster who relies on CHIP, and had believed the GOP's promise to take care of it after the last CR refused to fund it (again) over Democratic objection. I wish their faith in the Republican party had been better rewarded.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Pretty sure they had mostly done their job until Mr. Super Deal Maker said nevermind I won't actually sign what you bring me despite what I just said.
Since the shutdown affects mostly "non essential employees" we don't have to worry about Trump showing up for work on Monday. See it isn't all bad.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-obama-for-2013-government-shutdown-resurface

Trump spoke to “Fox & Friends” in 2013 and was asked who would be fired during a government shutdown, as shown in a clip posted by "Morning Joe."

“Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top,” Trump said. “I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.”
He said that further down in history, “when they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time.

“They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington,” Trump said.

“So I really think the pressure is on the president,” he added.
If only we could get the supporters of the President to listen to this guy Trump.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.