George Wallace & Fob James: Experiences from those who grew up in Alabama

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hope this is the right place to ask this, and if not feel free to take it down.

Was at the Jason Isbell concert in Birmingham last night, and now I’ve been listening to old Drive By Truckers albums all morning. The songs about Wallace and Fob James always interested me.

I grew up in North Alabama in the 90’s, but was too young to remember any of the political landscape really until Bob Riley was in office. My parents grew up in Chicago so they didn’t have any first-hand knowledge other than what was covered on Wallace in the news.

Was hoping to gain some perspective from those who grew up in/around Alabama about what your experiences/memories were of the Wallace and James terms. Wallace’s time was obviously well covered by the media, but I’m really interested to hear thoughts on James. Seemed to have some pretty radical ideas on crime/religion/education by today’s standards.

Would love to hear any stories or experiences from this group about what life/political landscape was like in Alabama during these times. Thanks!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't remember much about Wallace except for old news reels and his later term in office. By then he had "turned a new leaf".

With Fob James I do remember and mostly what I remember was that school funding took a big hit every time he was in office. Said he wanted government to run like the Waffle House. Looking back, I think that meant he didn't care if someone had a high school education or not.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Fob James found a way to lose to a non Wallace democrat, and pardoned a woman that forced draino down a girl's throat. I think those 2 things sum up what Fob was in his last term.

In my lifetime I would rank governors of Alabama:

1. Riley
2. Folsom Jr
3. Ivey
4.Don Seigleman
5. Fob
6. Bentley
7. Hunt

A lot of criminals there

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Fob James found a way to lose to a non Wallace democrat, and pardoned a woman that forced draino down a girl's throat. I think those 2 things sum up what Fob was in his last term.

1. Riley
2. Folsom Jr
3. Ivey
4.Don Seigleman
5. Fob
6. Bentley
7. Hunt

A lot of criminals there
Put Albert Brewer near the top and Wallace on the bottom of that list and I agree.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

1. Riley
2. Folsom Jr
3. Ivey
4.Don Seigleman
5. Fob
6. Bentley
7. Hunt

A lot of criminals there
I'd drop Ivey down 1-2 slots.
Fob regularly destroyed the education budget. And his son Tim may well be the dumbest person on the planet.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
Wallace was probably the only politician who could have stood in the schoolhouse house to prevent blacks from entering and yet a few years later win the Governors race by getting most of the black vote.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Ivey saying she believed the women but still supported Roy Moore meant she will never get my vote.

I know the others probably voted for him as well. But for her to throw other women under the bus is despicable. Show some leadership, governor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Wallace was probably the only politician who could have stood in the schoolhouse house to prevent blacks from entering and yet a few years later win the Governors race by getting most of the black vote.
Full disclosure, born in 85.

This was after recanting his prior racist views and showing his bona fides via pardoning the Scottsboro Boys. Don’t think he meant a word of it, but he was a skilled politician.

He probably wasn’t even that serious about the segregation issue but for its value as a wedge. When he first ran, back in ‘58, it was on a moderate platform.

From one of his speeches:

And I want to tell the good people of this state, as a judge of the third judicial circuit, if I didn’t have what it took to treat a man fair, regardless of his color, then I don’t have what it takes to be the governor of your great state.
He got thrashed by pro- KKK segregationist firebreather John Patterson in the Dem primary. He flipped after that. He wasn’t subtle about why to his campaign officials.

He really is an interesting cautionary tale on the depths to which some will sink for political power.

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Wallace was probably the most loyal to his base. I didn't like him or vote for him because of the school house door thing, but he was loyal to the employees of the state government. If I were a teacher I would have campaigned for him. It seemed that teachers did very well under his regime.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
by the time i was getting close to voting age and paying attention to what was going on, the glorious guy hunt got into office.

all i remember about wallace and james is that they were governor.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
by the time i was getting close to voting age and paying attention to what was going on, the glorious guy hunt got into office.

all i remember about wallace and james is that they were governor.
I wish I couldn't remember them either. I do however think I remember that Fob added $0.10 per gallon to our gas prices. I was a young married guy still trying to work my way through school and it kind of stung.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I wish I couldn't remember them either. I do however think I remember that Fob added $0.10 per gallon to our gas prices. I was a young married guy still trying to work my way through school and it kind of stung.
i do remember quite a bit of complaining about james when i was a kid. i do remember standing in gas lines with my mom when they were doing the odd/even thing with your tag to tell you what day to fill up.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Wallace was probably the most loyal to his base. I didn't like him or vote for him because of the school house door thing, but he was loyal to the employees of the state government. If I were a teacher I would have campaigned for him. It seemed that teachers did very well under his regime.
He was a democrat in the mold of Jim Folsom, a progressive and a liberal, even sharing Folsom's moderation on the segregation issue before Patterson destroyed him with an openly racist campaign in the primary.

Then he sacrificed every bit of moral integrity he had in the quest to get into office and remain there, but some of that did carry over. He ratcheted up infrastructure spending, raised teacher salaries and poured money into schools. He also expanded access to welfare (well, for white folks).

George Wallace said:
I tried talking about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about ******s, and they stomped the floor.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
After reading how he treated his wife during her bout with cancer, I wanted to punch him in the mouth.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
After reading how he treated his wife during her bout with cancer, I wanted to punch him in the mouth.
To give you an idea of how far we’ve come on gender equality and medical ethics, this was absolutely normal for the time. You have to remember that this happened in 1961, two years removed from the '50s. Medical decisions were made without a woman’s consent every day, all across the country. A loving husband would want to follow their wife's wishes, but this would have hardly raised eyebrows at the time.

Pretty frightening what we used to consider normal.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I get that was how it was done then. But dragging her around the state while she was terminally ill so she could run for his second term was pretty low. Then he had an open casket funeral against her wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.