How many coaching spots are left?

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
It’s hard to keep up with coming and going? We are still looking for a defensive coordinator and a quarterback coach. What else?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Could be none or more. Seriously, not trying to be snarky. The fact they've been very slow to announce hires may be an indication that the staffing decisions are not solidified.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
OC/QB - Locks
OC/WR - Gattis
RB - Burns
TE - ?
OL - Key
DC/OLB - Tosh
DC/ILB - Golding
DL - ? (assuming Dunbar is back to the NFL)
DB - Scott
ST - Banks

Those are based on how UA has announced the hires along with speculation by many. And there's some talk now that Dunbar might not go anywhere.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
OC/QB - Locks
OC/WR - Gattis
RB - Burns
TE - ?
OL - Key
DC/OLB - Tosh
DC/ILB - Golding
DL - ? (assuming Dunbar is back to the NFL)
DB - Scott
ST - Banks

Those are based on how UA has announced the hires along with speculation by many. And there's some talk now that Dunbar might not go anywhere.
I wonder if Banks may continue to coach TE's as well like he did at TAMU. I know it's been said that TAMU doesn't use TE's much, but under Banks, TE's were a big point of emphasis going into this year.
https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/texas-am-tight-ends-2017-keynel-mczeal-camron-horry

If that is the case, that would allow a true QB coach. I've hoped that would be the direction we'd take.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
UA announced Banks as the ST coach. There was no mention of him being the TEs coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
UA announced Banks as the ST coach. There was no mention of him being the TEs coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just happy to see a ST coach. For so many years, the ST coach was coupled with another position and the guy usually had no ST experience. I remember one TF member going to a Dubose practice and viewing the FG kicker. The "coaching" consisted of several coaches standing around, nodding when he made one and frowning and shaking their heads when he missed. Then, one of the coaches cell phones would ring...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I never saw the official announcement of Locks at OC. Did I miss that one?
Me either! I just saw an article at ESPN.com and an article at Al.com that referred to the ESPN.com article. Has Coach Saban said anything? Is he waiting until the dust settles on RECRUITING to name the OC and DC coaches???????

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I keep hearing rumors that Pannuzzio will take an off-field position, and then I read where he was out recruiting. I guess we will know all of this stuff when we know it.

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I keep hearing rumors that Pannuzzio will take an off-field position, and then I read where he was out recruiting. I guess we will know all of this stuff when we know it.

rtr
Both of those things can be true. Last week Josh Chapman visited Malik Langham in Huntsville. If a team does not have the maximum number of on-field coaches that can recruit off campus, the team can ask for a waiver to allow an off-the-field coach to recruit away from campus.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Unless our offense under Locksley includes throwing to the TEs, let the OL or WR coaches have them and hire a real QB coach.
We have quite a few good receivers, awesome running backs, and a QB that is capable of spreading the ball arround and running. There are only so many snaps per game. My question is, do we even have enough snaps to realistically get tight ends involved with all of the other players getting involved too?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm just happy to see a ST coach. For so many years, the ST coach was coupled with another position and the guy usually had no ST experience. I remember one TF member going to a Dubose practice and viewing the FG kicker. The "coaching" consisted of several coaches standing around, nodding when he made one and frowning and shaking their heads when he missed. Then, one of the coaches cell phones would ring...
Yea, our return game hit pretty much rock bottom this year. IF they fielded the ball without fumbling we all felt like we'd just won the day. Forget actually returning it for yards. It's hard to believe that at one point we had people actually concerned about our return game. I don't know what the answer is, perhaps 5 star players suck at it. If that's the case lets find some nobody who happens to run a 4.3 40 and has no fear.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Unless our offense under Locksley includes throwing to the TEs, let the OL or WR coaches have them and hire a real QB coach.
Two years ago Cristobal had the OTs and TEs (we saw great improvement in OJ's blocking, too). Could see Key and Gattis splitting time with the TEs if Saban does decide to hire a full time QB coach and allow Locks to solely focus on the OC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.