Coach Saban's said at the Celebration Yesterday that "We're not finished"...

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Coach Saban's said at the Celebration Yesterday that "We're not finished" (Updated)

I have been to all 5 of the National Championship Celebrations beginning in 2010. At that first one where we were celebrating the 2009 National Championship, I sat there inside BDS amazed by Coach Saban's speech. I loved it at the end when he said, "This is not the end, this is the beginning"... I am sure everyone has heard of that. I thought at the time that it would be prophetic and loved that attitude. Little did I know that 8 years later we would be celebrating 4 more. I loved that as he finished his speech this time he said "We're not finished..." and he looked to the players and they said "Yet". I love this mentality and that he is already talking to his team about the future! What a great time to be a Bama fan!

01/22/2018 Update:
I saw this story on BOL that mentions what Coach Saban said. It is a good story on the celebration yesterday and worth a read if you haven't seen it.

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...EC-06-E8-13-63180122_082318AlabamaCrimsonTide

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Re: Coach Saban's said at the Celebration Yesterday that "We're not finished"...

It was also a big recruiting day with recruits on campus, I can't think of a better way to tell recruits what kind of program they have the opportunity to be a part of than showing them an example of what is possible and celebrating a national championship in Tuscaloosa.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Re: Coach Saban's said at the Celebration Yesterday that "We're not finished"...

Yes, I liked that also. It's always reassuring to hear the coach give the indication that he plans to be coaching a while longer and trying to win a few more championships.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I loved the fan turnout, as I'm sure Saban did, too.

That crowd, for a fifth NC in nine seasons, is remarkable. Saban has preached against complacency to the team for so long, that it's affected the fans.

One of the greatest things Saban has done, and this is something not even Bryant was able to do, is he's processed the fanbase.

That may be his longest-lasting legacy. He transformed a fanbase that was used to saying, "The coach should do [whatever]...", to "Tell us what you need, coach...we'll deliver."

No, given the size and fanaticism of the fanbase, you'll never get 100% agreement that 1 + 1 = 2.

But anyone who was around for the walks in the wilderness from 1983-1990 and 1997-2006 can bear witness....the fans meddle a lot less, and a lot more of them are pulling in the same direction.

The University of Alabama has had the best coach in the college game three times. I have been incredibly fortunate to have personal understanding of two of them. Wallace Wade was before my time.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I loved the fan turnout, as I'm sure Saban did, too.

That crowd, for a fifth NC in nine seasons, is remarkable. Saban has preached against complacency to the team for so long, that it's affected the fans.

One of the greatest things Saban has done, and this is something not even Bryant was able to do, is he's processed the fanbase.

That may be his longest-lasting legacy. He transformed a fanbase that was used to saying, "The coach should do [whatever]...", to "Tell us what you need, coach...we'll deliver."

No, given the size and fanaticism of the fanbase, you'll never get 100% agreement that 1 + 1 = 2.

But anyone who was around for the walks in the wilderness from 1983-1990 and 1997-2006 can bear witness....the fans meddle a lot less, and a lot more of them are pulling in the same direction.

The University of Alabama has had the best coach in the college game three times. I have been incredibly fortunate to have personal understanding of two of them. Wallace Wade was before my time.
And Frank Thomas was up there

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

It was also a big recruiting day with recruits on campus, I can't think of a better way to tell recruits what kind of program they have the opportunity to be a part of than showing them an example of what is possible and celebrating a national championship in Tuscaloosa.
Yes, it was a big recruiting day and you can be sure that much of Coach Saban's message was to them. It was also interesting that Bradley Bozeman spoke to them too. He noted during his speech that 5 years ago he was sitting where they were yesterday and was so glad that he made the decision that he did. Two national championships and 3 SEC championships later, I think he made the right decision. Of course, he grew up a Bama fan and his success has greatly surprised a lot of people (actually almost everyone).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.