Bama vs Land Sharks

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, we are kinda in a weird position with no Seniors, but especially no Seniors playing an important role. Is Riley traveling with the team on the road?
I don't know if he was there or not, but I've been told he is coming back next year as is Armond. It sort of surprised me in both cases.
I watched the game last night and it was pretty obvious we were not interested in being there from the opening tip. I thought our fundamentals were just plain bad. The game is rebounding, shooting and defending, and we did none of those well last night playing a team that was smaller slower and clearly less talented than we are right now. I understand some nights you just lose to a better team, but this was not one of them. Even with the poor officiating, there was no reason we could not have beaten Ole Sis. I thought we'd come out and play hard the whole 2nd half, but we didn't. I was disgusted watching 3 of our guys waiting on a defensive rebound, and no one blocks out, and a Ole Miss player comes in and dunks it. We just stood there looking at each other wondering why the other guy didn't block out. We simply do not understand what it takes to win on the road. If we give the effort we gave at LSU, we blow them out. Simply put, there is a glaring lack of leadership on this team. When the team picks Donta Hall and a freshman Herb Jones as a captain, that tells you something. Now we've had some bad luck, with our only 2 seniors getting injured, and playing without Key for most of the year. It seems to me, we are not managing egos very well.

We do not have a true PG either which hurts us. Collin is more a 2 guard than a point. Until we have a true PG, I think we'll struggle. Next year we may actually be better with Jared Butler.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't know if he was there or not, but I've been told he is coming back next year as is Armond. It sort of surprised me in both cases.
What? If that happens, we're going to have some transfers or something. Numbers wouldn't allow for either, much less both, of them to return.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Good analysis! He's a great talent, but he hasn't adjusted his game to this level of play yet.

Love the kid, but I'm not buying he's a lottery pick next year.

The "youth" of this team is really showing up...don't know why we thougth it wouldn't.

Would love to see this team (including Sexton) in the second year playing together.
Sexton’s game is a little more suited for the NBA. The lane is wider and there is defensive 3 seconds, so teams can’t just pack the lane and shrink the floor like they are doing now.

I do agree that he needs to improve his shot and develop a mid range shot from the elbow and between the rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I watched the game last night and it was pretty obvious we were not interested in being there from the opening tip. I thought our fundamentals were just plain bad. The game is rebounding, shooting and defending, and we did none of those well last night playing a team that was smaller slower and clearly less talented than we are right now. I understand some nights you just lose to a better team, but this was not one of them. Even with the poor officiating, there was no reason we could not have beaten Ole Sis. I thought we'd come out and play hard the whole 2nd half, but we didn't. I was disgusted watching 3 of our guys waiting on a defensive rebound, and no one blocks out, and a Ole Miss player comes in and dunks it. We just stood there looking at each other wondering why the other guy didn't block out. We simply do not understand what it takes to win on the road. If we give the effort we gave at LSU, we blow them out. Simply put, there is a glaring lack of leadership on this team. When the team picks Donta Hall and a freshman Herb Jones as a captain, that tells you something. Now we've had some bad luck, with our only 2 seniors getting injured, and playing without Key for most of the year. It seems to me, we are not managing egos very well.

We do not have a true PG either which hurts us. Collin is more a 2 guard than a point. Until we have a true PG, I think we'll struggle. Next year we may actually be better with Jared Butler.
You will never get good or fair officiating on the road. As someone else said, this obviously benefits us at Coleman. But, it's always going to be something you've got to overcome in road games. The good teams do it.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Nope, we are not getting the benefit of the doubt at home. I am not sure why, but even when we play Auburn we got screwed. We've had very few games where we took more free throws than our opponents.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Nope, we are not getting the benefit of the doubt at home. I am not sure why, but even when we play Auburn we got screwed. We've had very few games where we took more free throws than our opponents.
And the only reason we got as many as we did against Auburn was them intentionally fouling us.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't like to gripe about officiating. I did a little in youth leagues while in college to make sure extra money. It's tough.

In HS ball and beyond, you can literally call a foul on every possession. I'm not saying the officiating isn't bad at times, but unless you've ever tried it, it's not as easy as some think.

I will say one thing I've noticed in the last few games about Sexton is that he doesn't seem to be getting the calls he was getting earlier in the year before we got into league play. I'm not sure if that was because of the officials for those games being different than SEC officials or what.

One thing I've noticed is lately Sexton seems to be forcing his drives straight into defenders and I think that is part of the problem with him not getting as many calls.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I don't like to gripe about officiating. I did a little in youth leagues while in college to make sure extra money. It's tough.

In HS ball and beyond, you can literally call a foul on every possession. I'm not saying the officiating isn't bad at times, but unless you've ever tried it, it's not as easy as some think.

I will say one thing I've noticed in the last few games about Sexton is that he doesn't seem to be getting the calls he was getting earlier in the year before we got into league play. I'm not sure if that was because of the officials for those games being different than SEC officials or what.

One thing I've noticed is lately Sexton seems to be forcing his drives straight into defenders and I think that is part of the problem with him not getting as many calls.
Read Cecil Hurts column today. It said Sexton has taken I think 9 free throws in the last 4 games. I feel for players and coaches who go into a game not knowing if the rules are going to be more like football or basketball. If our bigs are too aggressive they get called for fouls and sit out most of the game, If they are too physical, our opponents shoot easy layups. I've noticed that the officials are allowing fouls to go uncalled around the rim and then they are calling touch fouls further out. To me, the rules are the rules regardless, and we have to get some consistency in how they are enforced or basketball will become unwatchable. The NCAA needs to take this FBI investigation as an opportunity to clean up officiating. They need to be employees of the NCAA so there can be some accountability. As it is now, they can do whatever they want whenever they want without any consequences whatsoever. The NCAA needs to adopt the NBA model where these guys are full time officials. NCAA officials get paid very well (1500 to 2500 a game plus expenses and most do 3 to 4 games a week.) to do what they do and there is no reason you can't have full time professionals rather than part time hacks..

Cecil said that we just aren't being physical enough as a team.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
All I'm saying is officiating is not the reason we are 13-7 and its not the reason we lost the other night.

Yes the officiating in college basketball is awful and has already rendered it mostly unwatchable for me. But it's that way for every team.

I agree this arrangement of officials basically being 3rd party consultants needs to end and they need to become full time employees of the ncaa.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've been curious about the FTs and fouls for years. Finally decided I would look at the numbers for this year (will try to keep track as the season progresses).

Alabama has played 20 games thus far.

It has won the FT battle in 10 games.

It has won the foul battle in 9 games.

Out of its five road games, it has lost the FT and foul battle every game.

It has shot 5 or more FTs than its average 6 times but has shot 5 or less FTs than its average 7 times (4 times in SEC play).

It has been called for 5 or more fouls than its average 1 time but has been called for 5 or less fouls than its average twice.

Opponents have shot 5 or more FTs than their average 4 times but has shot 5 or less FTs than its average 5 times.

Opponents have been called for 5 or more fouls four times but have been called for 5 or less fouls than its average twice (Vandy had six less than its average in Memorial).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Read Cecil Hurts column today. It said Sexton has taken I think 9 free throws in the last 4 games. I feel for players and coaches who go into a game not knowing if the rules are going to be more like football or basketball. If our bigs are too aggressive they get called for fouls and sit out most of the game, If they are too physical, our opponents shoot easy layups. I've noticed that the officials are allowing fouls to go uncalled around the rim and then they are calling touch fouls further out. To me, the rules are the rules regardless, and we have to get some consistency in how they are enforced or basketball will become unwatchable. The NCAA needs to take this FBI investigation as an opportunity to clean up officiating. They need to be employees of the NCAA so there can be some accountability. As it is now, they can do whatever they want whenever they want without any consequences whatsoever. The NCAA needs to adopt the NBA model where these guys are full time officials. NCAA officials get paid very well (1500 to 2500 a game plus expenses and most do 3 to 4 games a week.) to do what they do and there is no reason you can't have full time professionals rather than part time hacks..

Cecil said that we just aren't being physical enough as a team.

CECIL HURT: As season wears on, Alabama will have to be more physical

This was Cecil's nice way of saying "Bama played bad and the officiating continues to be garbage."

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

CECIL HURT: As season wears on, Alabama will have to be more physical

This was Cecil's nice way of saying "Bama played bad and the officiating continues to be garbage."
Absolutely agree, but I also think the what numbers above do reflect is the non calls. I'll be the 1st to admit I see things thru crimson colored glasses. What I've been seeing specifically is Dazon and Sexton going in for layups and getting not just fouled, but hammered. If you look at both of their shooting percentage, it has gone down sharply in the last 5 or 6 games because of the physicality around the basket. Dazon almost always ends up on the deck and he looks up at the officials like "are you guys blind". Texas killed us playing like that. But with that being said, if we play decent defense Tuesday night at Ole Miss, I think we beat them. Our defense in the 1st half was just atrocious in the last 3 or 4 minutes.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.