Question: Which Saban era player do you miss the most?

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Great thread topic. Javy for me. I watched one of the highlight videos of the Saban era in the past week or so and gosh he was everywhere. Such a devastating blitzer. So good on punt returns. Excellent in pass coverage. What a player! … And he was a last-minute fill-in signee to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Holy Frijoles man - there are way too many favorites. My first thought was CJ then I saw the post- Henry (yes) then Mark (yes) then Amari (yes) then Javy (yes) - I mean Roll Tide is all I got to say!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Offense- Amari Cooper. Defenses just could not cover that man. Always open and always a threat to make a huge play.

Defense- CJ Mosley. Just the complete package in run stopping and cover skills. Also a great leader on defense.

Special Teams-Javier Arenas, 1752 PR yards and 7 TD and 2166 KR yards 0 TD but 24.1 average.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Derrick Henry is my favorite player probably ever.
You knew who was getting it and where he was going but they just did not want to hit him late in the game. I always wondered how he got better and better as a game wore on. Besides being a freak of nature some of that I'm sure was because they just didn't want to hit him anymore. Every time he ever scored or anything he would find the nearest ref instantly and hand him the ball and walk back to the sideline.
Eddie Jackson has got to be second with jalen hurts right there.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
CJ Mosley. He was a do it all LB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
One of my favorites. He was the first Bama player I knew that graduated from the same HS I did and I followed him closed from his first day on campus. I was so proud of him and the success he had. Evidently, he comes from a great family. His little brother has been pretty good too... I was glad to see his perseverance pay off.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I believe that it is not a popular choice but no one ever appreciated the opportunity to play QB at Alabama than Jake Coker. It may be said that no one did more with the opportunity!

Eddie Jackson an all world nice guy who was magic when he touched the ball

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Trent Richardson. That run against AR his freshman year when he got it 5 times in the backfield & still ran for a TD. He deserved better than the Browns.

On defense- Orlando MCain
Rolando McClain ran that defense. Worked so well with Saban’s D.

ST- Javier Arenas. Leigh Tiffin got better as the years went by and he became reliable.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
You guys have picked a number of great Bama players, and I applaud each and every one of them. That being said, no player left me in awe as much as Big DH did when he broke through the line of scrimmage, and left the defenders in his dust. All the while looking like he was not even in high gear. If he had stayed for the '16 season, I could imagine we would be celebrating #18 right now.

Roll Tide!

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
For me, it's Javy Arenas. There aren't many players you can say for sure they were best at their position. JK was our best punter. Tiffin was best kicker. AJ prob our best QB. Most other positions are debatable, whether it's RB, WR, LB or both lines. Javy was our best punt returner of the era. I loved Maze and was present first hand for his kick return vs Arky. Cyrus had a hell of a senior year for us. But Javy was surehanded and electric his whole kick returning career. We hardly ever had bad field position on 09 because of him. Not only did you NOT have to worry about a muff, but he was a threat to take it the distance every single time he touched the ball. After this past season, I truly appreciate what he was for us.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Very tough to pick one player. A lot of good choices on this thread, though. I will say that I always thought Courtney Upshaw was highly underrated. He made a bunch of plays.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
Javier Arenas just had a nose for the ball. And I loved seeing Vinnie Sunseri laying the wood to people. Vinnie wasn't 5 star talent but he had a 5 star motor!

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
So many players that it is hard to narrow it down.

On defense, I'd lean towards Rolando McClain for his game knowledge and performance on the field. He was the only player I know of in the 2009 season that had the speed and power to chase down and tackle Tim Tebow. Beating the Gators in the SECCG that year set so much in motion and Ro was a big part of it. Hightower, Upshaw, Mosley, Arenas, Barron, Collins, Jackson, Darius, Fitzpatrick...all such amazing players.

On offense, just too many to evaluate. Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker, Jake Coker, Jones, Cooper, Ingram, Richardson, Henry.

The incredible part is there are players on the team now and being recruited that could surpass any of the names above. The way CNS and staff have continued to pull in generational type talent will be written about for decades.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I'm going with 2 guys whose names aren't usually in the neon lights:
Offense: Ardarius Stewart, he was a very clutch WR, but I really miss the toughness he brought to the outside of the offense. His aggressive downfield blocking for RB's and WR screens set him apart for me. I bet Calvin missed him the most this year.
Defense: There are sooooo many great players to choose from on this side, but I'll go with the one who was the most full of life, and I believe appreciated his opportunity the most. Jesse Williams, the run pluggin Aussie. It's a shame that health derailed his chance at a sustained pro career.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.