Autism

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok, this will be a heavy thread maybe.

I have a son who is high functional autism (Asperberger’s). My brother’s second child was diagnosed last summer as being extreme (I don’t know the spectrum but he’s almost 3 and has never said a word). Today, his eldest child was tested and diagnosed as on the autism spectrum but with an IQ of 125 (he turns 7 this week).

Let’s just say I’m confused and trying not to be skeptical ok? Is this something genetic or is this a case of tests running in a circle (like when everybody was ADD about 15 years ago)?

I don’t doubt for a second that the younger son has some serious issues. He’s at least severely developmentally delayed. Any knowledge is appreciated. Remember I’m a lab scientist in addition to seminary grad so I examine these things. The older son seems what I’d call normal. You know, just a kid.

Confused I must admit.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Let’s just say I’m confused and trying not to be skeptical ok? Is this something genetic or is this a case of tests running in a circle (like when everybody was ADD about 15 years ago)?
No one knows what causes autism, and it might not have a single biological cause or mechanism, given that it's just a word people invented to describe a neurotype - a set of behaviors that tend to occur together - but there are biological factors present at birth known to correlate with autism. Particular genes, hyperconnectivity in certain brain regions, how the placenta “looks,” etc.

As for the increasing diagnoses, diagnostic criteria have improved. For most of human history we didn't really have a term for autism. Autistic people might be called cold, arrogant, unfriendly and, in the severe cases, retarded. We've only relatively recently started recognizing autism as a trait in the first place. Add to that that autism diagnoses also carried a stigma for a while because it was thought that autism resulted from bad parenting, and you had people unwilling to get their children diagnosed. What constitutes part of the autism spectrum has been expanded over the years so people who before might have been considered only fairly socially awkward might now be diagnosed with autism, and you get a rising trend in autism diagnoses.
Confused I must admit.
It’s a complex, confusing topic.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Great post by AUdub. If you met my daughter you would assume she’s autistic but she’s not for now. Similar due developmental delay but a different subset of issues. The more we learn about autism it seems the broader the spectrum gets. She has another evaluation on the 31st and I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s finally put on the spectrum. My wife, who is a Special Ed teacher, thinks so too. If not, she’ll be classified as intellectually disabled which is also possible.

Here’s a picture of her. Her name is Afton. She’s 8 years old and non verbal. But she can write a paragraph with a look [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Great post by AUdub. If you met my daughter you would assume she’s autistic but she’s not for now. Similar due developmental delay but a different subset of issues. The more we learn about autism it seems the broader the spectrum gets. She has another evaluation on the 31st and I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s finally put on the spectrum. My wife, who is a Special Ed teacher, thinks so too. If not, she’ll be classified as intellectually disabled which is also possible.

Here’s a picture of her. Her name is Afton. She’s 8 years old and non verbal. But she can write a paragraph with a look [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a cutie....you're a lucky daddy!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Steve Silberman does a better job explaining the increase in diagnoses than I can:

[video]https://www.ted.com/talks/steve_silberman_the_forgotten_history_of_autism?re ferrer=playlist-the_autism_spectrum[/video]

There is a saying:

If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism.

Each one is different. They span the range of disability and IQ. The odd thing is that sometimes the most apparently IQ challenged can actually be quite intelligent - we just can't measure what's there.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/MindMoodNews/story?id=8258204

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnylM1hI2jc

Temple Grandin is somewhat of a "hero" in this world. Very successful. Very intelligent. Autistic.

As many of you know, I have 3 children.

My oldest was a little professor. At 2 she could name many dinosaurs and bugs. In addition to English she speaks German and Japanese, and at least some Spanish and Mandarin. As a teen doctors indicated she was likely on the spectrum, but she denies and denounces the diagnosis. Fine, she is fairly successful. She scored the highest score ever scored in our small county on a college readiness test given at the time.

Our middle child hardly spoke a word. He was 3-1/2 when, at Walmart (where he usually just said "aw" for ball or "iii uuu awww" for big blue ball) he declared repeatedly and ever more intently "a u! a u!". Knowing he was trying to tell us something I kept searching up and down the isle when finally! I saw it - a paw print. I cried. Right in the middle of Walmart. "a u!" meant "A clue!" As in Blue's Clues, his favorite show (he dressed up every single day in a Blue outfit that had been just for Halloween originally). Amazingly, when he was 2 in 1999 Early Intervention folks completely blew the diagnosis and declared he'd grow out of it. At 6 he learned to multiply and in a few moments (literally) was multiplying numbers I had to pull out a calculator for. Then school made him show his work, which was like putting a mathematician's brain in a vice until it succumbed. Anyway, he lives at home as a young adult and is fairly independent but is not prepared yet to take on the world by himself. Loves to read books that would simultaneous bore and challenge most of us.

My youngest was diagnosed at 2 and began therapy early on. Nonverbal at that age and we taught signs and encouraged him to use his words. His intellect has developed far beyond his emotional maturity and as a result behavioral issues are a big issue now. Dealing with self injurious and occasional aggressive behaviors along with depression and anxiety and seriously considering CBD since other medications and therapies have had limited benefit. He's slightly obsessed with video games. He is making a "mod" with a group of people and it's basically a "soon" to be playable extension of an existing video game complete with its own story line/plot, but they have to "build" the "levels"/maps. But try to get him to do a relatively simple math problem.... Until he was somewhere between 8 and 10 Theory of Mind did not exist in his mind. He still struggles with understanding what others are thinking/feeling and yet sometimes gets what you're feeling seemingly when no one else can.

3 kids. 3 diagnoses. Asperger's, PDD-NOS, and Autism. Now they all fall under the umbrella term ASD or autism spectrum disorder.

And yes, I have traits. Mom has some traits. (and I scored low on empathy) :)

So do I think it's overdiagnosed? No. Probably the opposite is true based on what I've seen in practice. And I can say without a doubt that schools, insurances, the medical community, and society as a whole fails these people terribly.

Of course I can't speak as to the one nephew and whether he has it.

With ADD we have two different problems that are sometimes hard to flesh out: there's a lot of ADD/ADHD and there's a lot of female teachers who think boys should sit still for hours just like little girls do. And those teachers too often point to the child and demand they be medicated when they should be pointing out what a miserable failure the school system is to boys overall.

I guess you didn't ask for all that but there it is. I have lots more to say, but that's all you get for now. :)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Two new theories of autism: hyper‐systemising and assortative mating

The evidence that autism could be the genetic result of having two high systemisers as parents (assortative mating) includes the following: (a) both mothers and fathers of children with AS have been found to be strong in systemising on the Embedded Figures Test;22 (b) both mothers and fathers of children with autism or AS have increased rates of systemising occupations among their fathers;39 and (c) both mothers and fathers of children with autism show hyper‐masculinised patterns of brain activity during a systemising task.42 Whether the current high rates of ASC simply reflect better recognition, growth of services, and widening of diagnostic categories to include AS, or also reflect the increased likelihood of two high‐systemisers have children, is a question for future research.
Not exactly new anymore (2006), but this hypothesis suggests that since we have more ability to seek out like-minded mates than ever before, the result is increased frequency of offspring that suffer from the combination of risk factors from both parents.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Two new theories of autism: hyper‐systemising and assortative mating

Not exactly new anymore (2006), but this hypothesis suggests that since we have more ability to seek out like-minded mates than ever before, the result is increased frequency of offspring that suffer from the combination of risk factors from both parents.
Huntsville has the 3rd highest incidence of ASD in the country. By no coincidence at all, it's also the 3rd or 2nd largest high-tech center in the nation, depending on whose numbers you accept. It's also the highest in percentage of jobs in STEM. By now you're beginning to put it together. People with ASD tend to gravitate toward STEM professions. These jobs, by their nature, require much less in the way of inter-social skills. So, what happens is that our brainacs meet out there in the labs, mate and have kids on the spectrum. Of course, the nature/nurture question still remains up for grabs...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Huntsville has the 3rd highest incidence of ASD in the country. By no coincidence at all, it's also the 3rd or 2nd largest high-tech center in the nation, depending on whose numbers you accept. It's also the highest in percentage of jobs in STEM. By now you're beginning to put it together. People with ASD tend to gravitate toward STEM professions. These jobs, by their nature, require much less in the way of inter-social skills. So, what happens is that our brainacs meet out there in the labs, mate and have kids on the spectrum. Of course, the nature/nurture question still remains up for grabs...
And this is how humanity will eventually split into eloi and morlocks.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We don’t have anyone with Austim in our family but....

My youngest has ADHD and ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) along with a slight SPD (sensory processing disorder). We had him tested for Austim a year or so ago and he was not on the spectrum. I personally never thought he had Austim, but it was just part of the whole diagnosis stage in our journey. My oldest son does not have any of the above. So there was no correlation there.

I have known plenty of other families that are similar to yours. Where they have more than one child with either Autism or ADHD. It is definitely interesting to see that there can be a pattern.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Btw, you should watch “The Good Doctor” on ABC if you haven’t yet. The main character has Austim and it is a wonderful show.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Has the supporting cast acting improved since the first episode? If not... Had high hopes but the acting! Maybe I'm too demanding. :)
Yes, I think it has. The show has had some really good storylines as well. Freddie Highmore is a great actor and I think the supporting cast got more comfortable as the episodes went on. I think the show has great ratings as well.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
As a general education teacher, I tend to believe that we are starting to scratch the surface when it comes to ASD. I personally never really exhibited any traits of ASD, and neither do much of my immediate and extended family. Unfortunately, I was also probably one of the only boys where elementary teachers loved as students because I wasn't much of a fidgeter or expressing the need to always move around or touch things. Even now, I can be perfectly content just sitting on the couch all day watching TV if I had the freedom to do so.

Anyways, it is highly interesting to see how diverse and broad ASD covers. I do think part of it is that since we're scratching the surface, we do not have enough data and cases to break up the ASD and make more specific categories for those diagnoses. However, we're also learning a lot more of how to better help each kid much quicker than ever before. It'll be interesting to see if/when my wife and I have kids to see what happens. Neither one of us exhibit anything on ASD, but I'm not going to say we would never produce a child that will be diagnosed on ASD either.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
As a general education teacher, I tend to believe that we are starting to scratch the surface when it comes to ASD. I personally never really exhibited any traits of ASD, and neither do much of my immediate and extended family. Unfortunately, I was also probably one of the only boys where elementary teachers loved as students because I wasn't much of a fidgeter or expressing the need to always move around or touch things. Even now, I can be perfectly content just sitting on the couch all day watching TV if I had the freedom to do so.

Anyways, it is highly interesting to see how diverse and broad ASD covers. I do think part of it is that since we're scratching the surface, we do not have enough data and cases to break up the ASD and make more specific categories for those diagnoses. However, we're also learning a lot more of how to better help each kid much quicker than ever before. It'll be interesting to see if/when my wife and I have kids to see what happens. Neither one of us exhibit anything on ASD, but I'm not going to say we would never produce a child that will be diagnosed on ASD either.
I don't exhibit ASD traits other than being introverted, being more suited to programming type tasks than more social tasks like salesmanship, disliking public speaking, etc.
But I feel like I would be a high risk for producing offspring on the spectrum, as a high systemizer.
No kids yet, and there probably won't ever be any, and I am ok with that.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I just texted my daughter on this (psych major, masters in applied behavior analysis, works/teaches low functioning autistic children) and she says that there is a genetic link and more common among twins but it is not very well understood at this time. Sorry that's not very much help.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have a nephew with autism. He has pervasive developmental disorder. I never realized how broad the spectrum is until he was diagnosed.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
She's right, Bamaro. While Fragile X Syndrome has a distinct genetic change and is a cause of autism, it is rare. Although several genes have been linked to autism there is no single genetic autism "signature". It's thought to be a complex interaction of genetics and environment. IOW, we don't really know why or how it develops. That may partly explain why we see so many variations in the presentation.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Our son was 3 days old when we adopted him, he is now 37. He was diagnosed at 5 as ADD. He could recite “The Night Before Christmas” when he was 2. He had very few friends growing up, but the ones he had were mostly what would be considered nerds. He was expelled from private school kindergarten because he could read and could not color within the lines. He has been fired from every job he has ever had. His current diagnosis is either asberger or bipolar? He finished 1 year of college and never went back. He is married and has no job, his wife supports them. He is extremely smart, well versed in computers, but lacks social skills. It has been a challenge to say the least.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Our son was 3 days old when we adopted him, he is now 37. He was diagnosed at 5 as ADD. He could recite “The Night Before Christmas” when he was 2. He had very few friends growing up, but the ones he had were mostly what would be considered nerds. He was expelled from private school kindergarten because he could read and could not color within the lines. He has been fired from every job he has ever had. His current diagnosis is either asberger or bipolar? He finished 1 year of college and never went back. He is married and has no job, his wife supports them. He is extremely smart, well versed in computers, but lacks social skills. It has been a challenge to say the least.
Social skills is a concern for me as well. My son takes medicine which helps him function throughout the day. (Without it...there can be chaos) The only side effect is it makes him really shy and subdued. On the weekends, when he doesn’t take as much medicine..he is really outgoing.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Our son has been on every drug known to mankind. And there were several drugs he took that he claims made him feel like a zombie. He had several child psychiatrists that he made fools of by telling them what they wanted to hear or leading them on with a complete story of lies. His sense of humor and inability to conform with normal mores has prevented him from keeping a job. The good news is, he is a kind person, loves animals, and has never been in any kind of trouble with law enforcement.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.