The team without Collin Sexton.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

cr1mson4l1fe

Suspended
Mar 4, 2014
Am I the only one that thinks the team is hands down a better squad with him on the bench? Yes the kid can score, Yes he's a top tier talent.. No he doesnt run the offense smoothly, often taking on triple teams and throwing up prayers trying to make a highlight reel. In my opinion , NO he's not a great pg. IN my opinion he rarely makes the extra pass, is hot headed, and isnt a good leader. A strained abdominal muscle was probably a direct result of his benching.. :biga2: ROLL TIDE PEOPLE! :BigA: Sometimes coaches have to make tough calls, just ask Saban.... P.s people i just call it like I see it.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Don’t agree.....we wouldn’t have been in the game with Arizona without him....I just think recently after the Georgia game the players have just been locked in and focused on playing better offensively and defensively

He does play wild sometimes but so does John petty....his energy alone is good for the team

cr1mson4l1fe

Suspended
Mar 4, 2014
As indicative of their winning streak without him:eek2: In the game with arizona that we lost! I for 1 think we could of taken them with some fundamentally sound play at point.

Last edited:

cr1mson4l1fe

Suspended
Mar 4, 2014
Or the 1 point win over mercer, with him running the show and turning the ball over more then a pee wee league pg.. Petty playing wild? We must be watching two different pettys.. He's been shining to me.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Or the 1 point win over mercer, with him running the show and turning the ball over more then a pee wee league pg.. Petty playing wild? We must be watching two different pettys.. He's been shining to me.
Petty turns it over at an alarming rate when he drives but has made better decisions as of late.....he’s at his best when he’s just asked to make threes at this stage of his career

And u can’t blame every loss we’ve had on Collin......Dazon hasn’t played great in some of those losses and certainly Braxton and John petty haven’t been great either just look at the Georgia game......I just think the team has better chemistry now which was gonna take time with all the freshman

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let me start by saying I don't care if you feel a certain way. Your thinking and explanation OTOH....

Am I the only one that thinks the team is hands down a better squad with him on the bench? Yes the kid can score, Yes he's a top tier talent.. No he doesnt run the offense smoothly, often taking on triple teams and throwing up prayers trying to make a highlight reel. In my opinion , NO he's not a great pg. IN my opinion he rarely makes the extra pass, is hot headed, and isnt a good leader. A strained abdominal muscle was probably a direct result of his benching.. :biga2: ROLL TIDE PEOPLE! :BigA: Sometimes coaches have to make tough calls, just ask Saban.... P.s people i just call it like I see it.
He wasn't benched until his abdominal strain, so your snarky comment is beyond stupid.
As indicative of their winning streak without him:eek2: In the game with arizona that we lost! I for 1 think we could of taken them with some fundamentally sound play at point.
The winning streak without him? The two game winning streak? Then again, he didn't play against Memphis, so the team is 3-0 without him. Clear sign he's over-hyped.
You mention the Arizona and Mercer games. No mention of the Minnesota game? Probably wouldn't want to mention how he scored 40 while playing 36 minutes in a 5 on 3 game. That wouldn't help you, would it?

And you want to question his leadership? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Seriously, there's been discussion on here about how the team appears to be better the last two games since the players aren't relying on him. We saw the same problem with Releford and some with Retin. That's understandable. Players can fall into the trap of relying on best player on the team do all the work. Without that player, they feel like they can and should do more.

The team has never had a good chance to fully gel as guys continue to miss games with injuries. Seems like as soon as one guy returns and starts to find his place in the rotation, another goes out for a few games to throw it all out of whack again.

TideBall

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 17, 2015
When any single player becomes too much of the focus, it is usually not the best bet for the team. It is not a total coincidence that the team has played better, with better results, without him in the lineup.

Sexton is of course very young and there were times when he probably felt he had to take the team on his shoulders, but I had also noticed that he had started making an increased effort to generate assists in the last couple of games before he went out. If he continues that trend he will make the entire team better when he returns.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I'm not the biggest basketball guy by any means but any consideration this Bama B-Ball team is better without Sexton is absolutely ridiculous. His scoring potential and recent improvement in assists should be a sign that this team is close to becoming a cohesive unit. Just gotta be able to establish a suitable rotation. And they are VERY young.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's foolish to suggests we are better off without him. In the Bama/OM thread I mention that we need him back ASAP.

I admit he's still learning, at this level, that he can't always drive and score OR get fouled, but the point is he's still learning.

He's worth 19 a game too.

He's needs to take more open jumpers and dish more to wide open guys, but to say we're better without him is a failure to understand basketball IMO.

crimsonman38

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2003
Holly Pond, AL
cr1mson4l1fe if that is the case we can say they are playing better without Dante Hall since he is not 100%. This team I think has finally realized that they can be very good if they put in the defensive effort. I still think come tournament time Alabama will be hard to beat.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You haven't watched all of the games this year? I think its good that players are learning how to play with each other without Sexton so that when HE COMES BACK... the team will be much better now that they figured out how to create their own shots. Your post is silly...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Don't get to upset, but there is a grain of truth in the original posters comments. Are we better off without Sexton, no, but he does need to be more of a team player, yes. For example, OU's Trae Young who is similar to Sexton as a scoring PG, but he has distributed the ball much more averaging 9.7 assists per game. Sexton is averaging I think around 3.
Teams have also figured out how to defend him now that there is video on him.
He needs to pass the ball when he gets double teamed on a drive, but lately, he is usually taking bad shots or turning the ball over. He has immense talent, but he needs to be a better distributor if he wants to make it in the NBA for more than a year or 2. As he sits right now, I'd tell him to come back for a 2nd year, and work on his game. If he is being defended effectively in the SEC, imagine how he will struggle in the NBA. All that being said, we need his point production. It really showed late against State, we had no one who could drive, and get to the foul line late to close out a game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don't get to upset, but there is a grain of truth in the original posters comments. Are we better off without Sexton, no, but he does need to be more of a team player, yes. For example, OU's Trae Young who is similar to Sexton as a scoring PG, but he has distributed the ball much more averaging 9.7 assists per game. Sexton is averaging I think around 3.
He needs to pass the ball when he gets double teamed on a drive, but lately, he is usually taking bad shots or turning the ball over. He has immense talent, but he needs to be a better distributor if he wants to make it in the NBA for more than a year or 2. As he sits right now, I'd tell him to come back for a 2nd year, and work on his game. If he is being defended effectively in the SEC, imagine how he will struggle in the NBA. All that being said, we need his point production. It really showed late against State, we had no one who could drive, and get to the foul line late to close out a game.
The way State packed in and dared us to shoot from outside, I'm not sure CS could have helped much. He certainly wouldn't have, if he had tried to continue busting through triple teams. One thing which has been killing us is Petty's 55% FT shooting...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The way State packed in and dared us to shoot from outside, I'm not sure CS could have helped much. He certainly wouldn't have, if he had tried to continue busting through triple teams. One thing which has been killing us is Petty's 55% FT shooting...
We had been trending toward better FT shooting up until Miss State. If we shoot a decent percentage, and especially quit missing the front end of 1 and 1's, we'd have beat State soundly. But if Sexton gets to the line, he is deadly. Sexton drives to shoot too much. He needs to drive to dish it, and he won't have to deal with double or triple teams. It is all part of the learning process.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Earle to be fair, you have to look at his game logs for this season. 55 percent does not tell the whole story.
November: 0-2. That's only time he attempted free throws.
December: 11-19.
January 4-6.

Last two games he has attempted 2 free throws in the game. I just don't think he is getting to the free throw line often because of his tendency to shoot threes and turning over the ball when he drive to the basket. He is trying to get to the line and it hasn't worked out well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No doubt there's some truth to the OP, but his reasoning is extremely flawed.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Earle to be fair, you have to look at his game logs for this season. 55 percent does not tell the whole story.
November: 0-2. That's only time he attempted free throws.
December: 11-19.
January 4-6.

Last two games he has attempted 2 free throws in the game. I just don't think he is getting to the free throw line often because of his tendency to shoot threes and turning over the ball when he drive to the basket. He is trying to get to the line and it hasn't worked out well.
if he try little harder to get to the line at least 4 times a game... He should be around 70 percent shooter.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think Sexton is ready for the league either. At least not right now. I'm sure he'll take advantage of the assessment the NCAA allows, but I think he's got a lot of improvement to make in his overall offensive game. Defensively, he can guard, but he's trying to do too much against the trees inside when he's got a good enough jumper to make them pay. And, his passing skills need improving too.

But again...to the OP's point...I disagree....We are much better with him!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.