The team without Collin Sexton.

I think it's a simple matter of the kid trying too hard. I think it will come with experience - after all, he's played what - a dozen collegiate basketball games?

OP should relax and give the guy some slack. MY opinion.
Just a bit. I see what he’s trying to say, but this team is better with Sexton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Might be much better with him, only with him coming off the bench to strike fear into an opponent's status quo defense against 'Bama. Just saying. ...Wouldn't suit Sexton's one-and-done NBA aspirations but could make the Tide a better team during that one year before he's done.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'm just going to give the answer of NO.

And I'm also calling MOO on this one

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
if he try little harder to get to the line at least 4 times a game... He should be around 70 percent shooter.
The fact remains that his % was 55.6% until tonight. Basketball is the game I played the longest and I frequently tell if someone is going to hit a high percentage by the way they prepare at the line. Maybe it's because he's psyched and doesn't expect to make it, but his whole approach, stance, etc., appears to be lackadaisical and careless. Then, he sort of throws it up there, most of the time long...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
His PG skills have been highly overrated as many will unfortunately see on Saturday coming i’m Afraid. Great talent.....but Id gladly take Ronald Steele back in a heartbeat

cr1mson4l1fe

Suspended
Mar 4, 2014
Leadership??? yep lead us straight to another loss.. Hands down this team is twice as good defensively without him in..You people are entitled to your snarky opinions.ROFLOL. Keep riding the sexton hype train, to loss after loss,, But But we got sexton!!!!!!! I for 1 will be happy when the kid is gone.. P.S he'll never be more then 2nd string in the nbA with his heady defensive game LOL No-one ever said he isnt talented. I simply stated the obvious .. This team is better off without him..

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The fact remains that his % was 55.6% until tonight. Basketball is the game I played the longest and I frequently tell if someone is going to hit a high percentage by the way they prepare at the line. Maybe it's because he's psyched and doesn't expect to make it, but his whole approach, stance, etc., appears to be lackadaisical and careless. Then, he sort of throws it up there, most of the time long...
I've seen Petty's shot change from one free throw attempt to the next. Often times his first shot will be a catch and throw it up then the second free throw will be more focused and balanced with a nice follow through. He has the stroke when he remembers to slow down and go through the process of setting up properly and completing the shot.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Leadership??? yep lead us straight to another loss.. Hands down this team is twice as good defensively without him in..You people are entitled to your snarky opinions.ROFLOL. Keep riding the sexton hype train, to loss after loss,, But But we got sexton!!!!!!! I for 1 will be happy when the kid is gone.. P.S he'll never be more then 2nd string in the nbA with his heady defensive game LOL No-one ever said he isnt talented. I simply stated the obvious .. This team is better off without him..
Yes we lost last night but that is not Collin Sextons fault......John Petty had a horrible game....most of the players made tons of unnecessary reaching fouls which put them at the line....bench didn’t do much and every time Sexton drove to the basket it seemed like he was fouled....in my opinion and I watched the game, he didn’t do anything to cause us to lose...he drove aggressively to the basket and didn’t get fouled but he stayed within the offense and didn’t play selfishly

And by the way, the team still moved the ball well offensively even with him playing as evident by the number of assists the team had as a whole

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sexton was rusty and didn't have the burst he normally has. No doubt part of that has to do with the fact he wasn't 100% after the injury.

My biggest critique is that he's trying to play like he did in HS. At this level and the next, you can't create something out of nothing unless you were #23.

I don't think he's learned when to use his explosive driving ability and when not to.

BTW, I noticed last night that he played more #2 than usual. I'd kinda like to see that a little more because other than when Petty is "on," Sexton is the best perimeter shooter we have.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Jones is effective at the PG spot when he rotates there which allows Sexton more time at the two. Jones keeps his head up and can see over the defense and has made good passes off the pick-and-roll. I still want him shooting more. He has the highest 3-point percentage on the team of players with significant playing time (6-13) but doesn't really have enough attempts to claim the title.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Jones is effective at the PG spot when he rotates there which allows Sexton more time at the two. Jones keeps his head up and can see over the defense and has made good passes off the pick-and-roll. I still want him shooting more. He has the highest 3-point percentage on the team of players with significant playing time (6-13) but doesn't really have enough attempts to claim the title.
We are kinda on the same page. Herbert Jones is also great off the high pick and roll going to the basket. We've got to figure out how to get more points out of him and letting him play some #1 might be it with Sexton at #2.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Sexton was rusty and didn't have the burst he normally has. No doubt part of that has to do with the fact he wasn't 100% after the injury.

My biggest critique is that he's trying to play like he did in HS. At this level and the next, you can't create something out of nothing unless you were #23.

I don't think he's learned when to use his explosive driving ability and when not to.

BTW, I noticed last night that he played more #2 than usual. I'd kinda like to see that a little more because other than when Petty is "on," Sexton is the best perimeter shooter we have.
I agree. It seems to me when he drives to the basket he is trying to draw contact and get a foul call instead of getting off a good shot. When you are on the road and the refs swallow their whistles you are not going to get the foul call.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
It's simply just hard to win on the road. Teams play so much better at home, and the refs cater to that almost always (we don't seem to get that benefit for whatever reason though...). I was surprised that Herbert wasn't called for his 5th foul when he dove in the stands and made contact with someone in the crowd, but they got him when the wet spot tripped up the OM player and he was the closest one around. Herbert and Dazon were difference makers last night but they just couldn't stay on the floor for any period of time due to fouls.

Back to Sexton though, I think he's very aware of the teams success while he's been out and was anxious to get back in and help out. If we hadn't had the foul troubles last night I think he'd have played significantly less minutes. To me, he looked hesitant with the injury in a similar fashion that Braxton did the first few games he came back. Hopefully we can finish with a winning record in the conference and have everyone gelling as we head into the SEC tournament and beyond. We have in to way played our best game yet and when we do, it will be a ton of fun to watch.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's simply just hard to win on the road. Teams play so much better at home, and the refs cater to that almost always (we don't seem to get that benefit for whatever reason though...). I was surprised that Herbert wasn't called for his 5th foul when he dove in the stands and made contact with someone in the crowd, but they got him when the wet spot tripped up the OM player and he was the closest one around. Herbert and Dazon were difference makers last night but they just couldn't stay on the floor for any period of time due to fouls.

Back to Sexton though, I think he's very aware of the teams success while he's been out and was anxious to get back in and help out. If we hadn't had the foul troubles last night I think he'd have played significantly less minutes. To me, he looked hesitant with the injury in a similar fashion that Braxton did the first few games he came back. Hopefully we can finish with a winning record in the conference and have everyone gelling as we head into the SEC tournament and beyond. We have in to way played our best game yet and when we do, it will be a ton of fun to watch.
Agree that our ceiling can be much higher. It seems we take 2 steps forward and then 1 step back, but hopefully we are improving.

As you state, if we/when we put it together we can beat anyone in our league. It would be fun if we gel and play our best during the conference championship.

Don't think we are good enough to make a deep run into March madness, but we are surely good enough to win the SEC tourney if we continue to improve.

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
Am I the only one that thinks the team is hands down a better squad with him on the bench? Yes the kid can score, Yes he's a top tier talent.. No he doesnt run the offense smoothly, often taking on triple teams and throwing up prayers trying to make a highlight reel. In my opinion , NO he's not a great pg. IN my opinion he rarely makes the extra pass, is hot headed, and isnt a good leader. A strained abdominal muscle was probably a direct result of his benching.. :biga2: ROLL TIDE PEOPLE! :BigA: Sometimes coaches have to make tough calls, just ask Saban.... P.s people i just call it like I see it.
Imo we are far better with CS. This is a relatively young group and we have seen this with this teams inconsistencies. I do think CS reverts back to natural instincts which I am sure he developed on the play grounds and in high school regarding driving to the basket -- splitting defenders, etc. I like that to a point as it appears kids today really know how to set feet and get the charge call. CS will learn some patience and improve his decision making regarding when to take over and when to work the ball to others. The other players have to step up. Braxton Key still looks slow at times regarding his decisions (i.e. do I shoot, do I pass, etc). John Petty has to have space to be consistent. His ball handling skills don't impress me -- when he's hitting 3's that does. Free throw shooting needs to be a priority as we still miss a lot of those. Big men need to play like big men all the time. When they're on they look good but they are inconstant. I just see a youthful bunch as a work in progress. IF we get it together it is scary how much this team could accomplish. RTR

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
woah ... sounds like someone needs a hug :)

Call me whatever but I for one am happy he decided to Roll with the Tide as well as all the players on the team. This team has a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing wha they accomplish this season.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
woah ... sounds like someone needs a hug :)

Call me whatever but I for one am happy he decided to Roll with the Tide as well as all the players on the team. This team has a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing wha they accomplish this season.
Would you be as patient with football? Would it be okay if they lost every other game as long as there is progress?

My whole issue with CAJ and Sexton/Petty is....that we seem to have sold our soul for a couple of divas who might take us to the promise land. I get the need for elite recruiting....I do. But to bring in two kids that have less than a 12 month commitment to the team is risky. And, thus far, the results are quite similar to the last few years...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.