Meaningful Bowl games drew largest ratings

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The four most-viewed non-CFP bowls ALL featured an SEC school – the Citrus Bowl (LSU), Outback Bowl (South Carolina), Music City Bowl (Kentucky) and Gator Bowl (Mississippi State).
The most-viewed non-CFP bowl that didn’t feature an SEC school was the Alamo Bowl (No. 15 TCU vs. No. 13 Stanford), Thursday, Dec. 28 on ESPN, 4.368 million viewers.
The three non-ESPN/ABC bowl listed all drew fewer than 2.3 million viewers, putting them in the bottom 35% of the rankings despite the fact that they each featured a Power vs. Power matchup.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/01/which-bowl-games-were-watched-most/

The bottom line is – except for in extreme cases where top ten teams are squaring off for a chance at a title, FBS programs draw additional viewers during bowl season. Additionally, meaningful games generally outdraw those without any true consequences. Finally, if you’re out shopping your bowl game to a television network, a deal with a member of the ESPN/ABC family will pay off, big time, in viewership.

I only watched about half the bowls and then just had the game on in the background. As the writer says if the game was meaningless I tuned out. But I did the same in the regular season too. I did not watch meaningless games unless an upset alert caught my attention -- Troy ahead of LSU late in the game.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Re: Meaningfull Bowl games drew largest ratings

Important games mean more people watch you say? That is a bold cause an effect that they're coming up with.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I watch a lot of bowl games because I know that the drought is about to begin. And great football can be found anywhere. Some of the lesser bowl games were awesome. Some of the important bowl games were decided before the teams left the bus. But they are all college football, and I love me some college football.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I watch a lot of bowl games because I know that the drought is about to begin. And great football can be found anywhere. Some of the lesser bowl games were awesome. Some of the important bowl games were decided before the teams left the bus. But they are all college football, and I love me some college football.
I would have watched more but with the Christmas shopping, planning, several family and in-law covered dish dinners and all that it was hard to tune in. That probably hurt the ratings for a lot of people.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I watched a lot of bowl games too. I especially enjoy good games that have a game thread going. There were several during bowl season.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.