Damien Harris statistics

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
And the amazing thing is Brian Robinson is a star in the making. He will get Najee's carries from this past year but he could be a feature back also.
I think that dude is also great. I really thought Damien would go pro and that Robinson would be able to get similar carries to Najee and Jacobs next year. All of these guys are very, very good, so we try to keep them all involved. This keeps them fresh, but it doesn't allow a guy to get in a groove that running backs get in during some games. This is what some would call Alabama problems. Hahaha.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My guess is that you are thinking of Tony Nathan.
Wilbur Jackson was playing when I was at Alabama. I never missed a home game, and went to Baton Rouge and Knoxville twice each. Tony Nathan is younger than I am.

We use to laugh about how often Wilbur would slide. He was a great back.

Legion Field had Astro Turf or some variation in those days so I suspect footing was not that good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Really surprised Robinson didn't redshirt in 2017 with all the Depth Alabama had at running back. But He looked pretty good to me in mop up duty. So why not?
I doubt most people believe that he would actually stay for a fifth year, so a redshirt wouldn't make sense. I think most think he is also an NFL back, so even getting him to stay for a fourth year may be a stretch.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Wilbur Jackson was playing when I was at Alabama. I never missed a home game, and went to Baton Rouge and Knoxville twice each. Tony Nathan is younger than I am.

Legion Field had Astro Turf or some variation in those days so I suspect footing was not that good.

Didn't mean to dispute you. The way your statement was phrased, I mistakenly thought there was some uncertainty in your recollection. And yes, Wilbur was a great back.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
if i am not mistaken, damien has a chance to be our first back to get 1k yds in three seasons.

bobby humphrey, shaun alexander, kenneth darby, tj yeldon and damien all have two 1k yd seasons

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Didn't mean to dispute you. The way your statement was phrased, I mistakenly thought there was some uncertainty in your recollection. And yes, Wilbur was a great back.
We’re good, brother. I’m 63 years old so there’s always some uncertainty in my recollection.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

That stuff was basically the thin green outdoor carpet glued down to concrete. Just awful stuff and I can't fathom why it was used by so many for so long. Dead grass would have been better than that stuff.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
He averaged 6.77 yards per carry. Marlow's 6.27 yards per carry is the highest for a player with a minimum of 400 carries. Eddie is second in the minimum 200 carries department behind Wilbur Jackson's 7.21.

Damien has 326 career rushes. I suspect he'll get past 400 rushes this year.
If he doesn't get at least 15 rushes/game this year, Locksley should be fired.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Entirely possible that Damien Harris is not really the kind of guy who does well with 20 touches per game. I think he was underutilized at times throughout the last season and he was dinged up for half of the 2016 season. He looked clearly gassed in the Georgia game after a career high touches vs. a tough Clemson D.

15 touches per game would be a nice place to get with Harris though. 10-12 rushes, 3-5 receptions (underutilized aspect of his game imo). N. Harris gets about 10 touches and Jacobs with 5-10 touches depending on the gameplan.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Entirely possible that Damien Harris is not really the kind of guy who does well with 20 touches per game. I think he was underutilized at times throughout the last season and he was dinged up for half of the 2016 season. He looked clearly gassed in the Georgia game after a career high touches vs. a tough Clemson D.

15 touches per game would be a nice place to get with Harris though. 10-12 rushes, 3-5 receptions (underutilized aspect of his game imo). N. Harris gets about 10 touches and Jacobs with 5-10 touches depending on the gameplan.
Pretty much exactly what I said. He said he was wore out after 17 carries against Clemson.
As I said earlier I would sure hope the multi-million dollar coaching staff would give a back that averages 7.0+ ypc as many carries as they could.
Just because the national media doesn't know I guarantee the staff does

Last edited:

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
I don't think it was the number of carries I think it was the 4 NFL ready defensive linemen Clemson had to stop him. That line was sick.
You are correct. I have got to think that was a season high in carries for a reason. They are not going to come out and say Damien is not good but for 10 cpg but his track record says that is about it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Also, more and more NFL teams are platooning backs, anyway...

BamaTilDeath

Scout Team
Jun 3, 2017
The only problem with that is after the Clemson game in which he carried it 17 times for 77yds.
In an interview he was talking about how that game really took a toll on him. That was with the time off. I honestly don't think he can give you that many carries every week. He was limited down the stretch 2016.
I love him as a rb and his numbers are no doubt astonishing but I think 10-12 carries is about it. I would hope that if CNS/OC thought he could run it 15-20 times 7.0+ yrds a carry he would.
Another amazing stat. I think he had 5 negative rushing yards all year. Something ridiculous like that.
I couldn't believe DH made that statement. Every down RBs make the $ in the league. That statement could damage his future income.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
I couldn't believe DH made that statement. Every down RBs make the $ in the league. That statement could damage his future income.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I was amazed. That is why it stuck with me. 17 carries after a month off. That would have made Derrick Henry very angry. Lol

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Re: Damien Ha okrris statistics

I was amazed. That is why it stuck with me. 17 carries after a month off. That would have made Derrick Henry very angry. Lol
It could also be that he hadn't been use to that many carries , I know for some games he was getting under 10 carries, maybe with a few games with increased carries it won't seem like a drastic difference. Another factor is he's one of those backs that gives you every extra bit he's got on each carry. What struck me this year was his ability to be a power back. He averaged more yards after contact than any back in college football and that can take a lot out of you

Last edited:

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
It could also be that it he hadn't been use to that many carries , I know for some games he was getting under 10 carries, maybe with a few games with increased carries it won't seem like a drastic difference. Another factor is he's one of those backs that gives you every extra bit he's got on each carry. What struck me this year was his ability to be a power back. He averaged more yards after contact than any back in college football
I do not undervalue what he did and what he meant/means to the team. His leadership skills next year will be invaluable. He ran very motivated this year no doubt. If you see my original post above I just don't think he is good for the increased workload.
Once again I can't see CNS/million dollar OC letting a back that is averaging 7.0+ ypc sit unless there is good reason.
It is natural to want more of a good thing but that is not always best and it may not be as good.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.