Will we see the Kick 6 less on CBS games going forward?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Even the greatest plays have a shelf life. Flutie's pass is a great example - how often do we see that anymore, when it used to be shown almost weekly.
You're right that it's not shown much anymore but that might be because there have been several Hail Mary passes since that have won games for other teams. The Kick 6 is so much more unusual than a Hail Mary though so I don't think it's going away anytime soon. I think certainly we will have to view it at least once per season when the IB is played since CBS is looking for something to show the history of the IB.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Man, I know seeing kick-6 sucks, but it's one of - if not the - most unlikely and momentous scenario in CFB history. Not only was it a FG returned >100 yards for the game winning TD as time expired, it was against an Alabama team that appears to be destined to win the virtually impossible third NC in a row.

I think it's difficult for many Bama fans to see the significance of it in the context of the sport - a single play that turned CFB on it's head in one electrifying instant.

It sucks that it was Bama and sucks more that Auburn was the team that did it, but it's literally one of the most incredible moments in CFB history.

So no, it's not going away anytime soon.
Sadly - This ^^^

I mean - lets face it. When you are a booger-eater, what else do you have? Those floaters talked about "punt Bama punt" - literally, until our 1989 choke down on the pasture (thanks, bill curry! :mad2:).

They will likely still be talking about that fluke punt return 10 years from now.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Man, I know seeing kick-6 sucks, but it's one of - if not the - most unlikely and momentous scenario in CFB history. Not only was it a FG returned >100 yards for the game winning TD as time expired, it was against an Alabama team that appears to be destined to win the virtually impossible third NC in a row.

I think it's difficult for many Bama fans to see the significance of it in the context of the sport - a single play that turned CFB on it's head in one electrifying instant.

It sucks that it was Bama and sucks more that Auburn was the team that did it, but it's literally one of the most incredible moments in CFB history.

I have to tip my hat to them for out coaching us on that play too.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

The kick6 had meaning in that it prevented the possibility of a 3peat by Bama, the first in college football history. But that was all. This play did not end the possibility of a NC, but won the NC itself and affected both the past and future. Since we are in the moment, it's easy to lose perspective, but IMO, Tua's throw has had and will likely have far greater ramifications on the sport. Most of the following was posted elsewhere.

• It's hard to envision a more improbable scenario just leading up to Bama's OT sequence; then the end was magical, not just to Bama fans, but to the entire nation.
  • It closed the book on whether this is the greatest run in college football history. Bama had a great case, now it is indisputable.
  • It closed the book on whether Nick Saban is the greatest coach of all time. He had a great case, now it is indisputable.
  • It removed the sense, that with all of its success under Saban, Bama had underachieved a bit. And the narrative would have been only 1 NC in the last 5 years and counting, rather than having won 2 of the last 3 and being the defending champs.
  • With a hob-nailed boot, it stomped on the narrative that UGA had supplanted Bama as the great SEC and national power. (The win over Clemson stiff-armed their claim as well. Bama's charge through the playoff was a dream scenario.)
  • It shut the door on the direction of the program's offense and identified its leader. The value of this can't be overstated. If this had not happened, the light and airy feeling that coaches, players and fans now are feeling would be replaced with the disappointment of wasting another NC opportunity, of wasting current offensive talent, the fear of losing future offensive talent, and ultimately losing defensive talent because of a tangible decline in the program. This program now has a spring in its step, rather than a 500 lb weight on its back. Coach Saban has spoken of wasting opportunities, this win and this type of win, produced the happiest athletic moment in his life. He knew what it meant, not only for this team, but for the future. It was obvious to all, and his joy reflected the entire program. Now the program is poised to win even more NCs, whereas, this could have been the end, it has ushered in a lighter, more fun Bama, with the nation able to see how clutch Bama is and that her players are not automatons but humans with great desire, who are great teammates, etc. They will be more fun to watch - and yes, it matters.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The kick6 had meaning in that it prevented the possibility of a 3peat by Bama, the first in college football history. But that was all. This play did not end the possibility of a NC, but won the NC itself and affected both the past and future. Since we are in the moment, it's easy to lose perspective, but IMO, Tua's throw has had and will likely have far greater ramifications on the sport. Most of the following was posted elsewhere.
I get where you're going, but to the sports world, Bama's victory over UGA was never in question - especially on an offensive possession. Was it dramatic? Heck yes, but was it something no one could have ever expected? No.

Kick-six was something no one (or very few) could have ever expected. That is why it is likely considered by most spots fans (who don't pull for Bama) one of the, if not the, most amazing play in CFB history.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Nope...This is from a boog today...and he works for me...LOL!!!

"You still didn’t win the biggest bowl of them all. The Iron Bowl.

We own the state of Alabama. Better luck next year. WDE!"

I wonder if the way this season played out will change the conventional way of thinking in auburn? For so long they have placed a win over Alabama above winning a conference or national championship. After their win over UGA and then beating a banged up Alabama team to close the regular season, the majority of their fan base was on cloud 9. The fall from that pedestal must have been devastating watching UGA ultimately win the conference and Alabama win the NCG. In the span of a week, they went from dream season to participation trophy. Maybe they will finally get their priorities correct and focus on the big prize instead of a single game. Meh, who cares.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Even the greatest plays have a shelf life. Flutie's pass is a great example - how often do we see that anymore, when it used to be shown almost weekly.
I'm sure if Boston College was as relevant now as they were then and if Miami hadn't been absent from the CFB landscape for the past 15 years, you'd still see it played a lot more

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
All great points...even the third time. :)

• It's hard to envision a more improbable scenario just leading up to Bama's OT sequence; then the end was magical, not just to Bama fans, but to the entire nation.
  • It closed the book on whether this is the greatest run in college football history. Bama had a great case, now it is indisputable.
  • It closed the book on whether Nick Saban is the greatest coach of all time. He had a great case, now it is indisputable.
  • It removed the sense, that with all of its success under Saban, Bama had underachieved a bit. And the narrative would have been only 1 NC in the last 5 years and counting, rather than having won 2 of the last 3 and being the defending champs.
  • With a hob-nailed boot, it stomped on the narrative that UGA had supplanted Bama as the great SEC and national power. (The win over Clemson stiff-armed their claim as well. Bama's charge through the playoff was a dream scenario.)
  • It shut the door on the direction of the program's offense and identified its leader. The value of this can't be overstated. If this had not happened, the light and airy feeling that coaches, players and fans now are feeling would be replaced with the disappointment of wasting another NC opportunity, of wasting current offensive talent, the fear of losing future offensive talent, and ultimately losing defensive talent because of a tangible decline in the program. This program now has a spring in its step, rather than a 500 lb weight on its back. Coach Saban has spoken of wasting opportunities, this win and this type of win, produced the happiest athletic moment in his life. He knew what it meant, not only for this team, but for the future. It was obvious to all, and his joy reflected the entire program. Now the program is poised to win even more NCs, whereas, this could have been the end, it has ushered in a lighter, more fun Bama, with the nation able to see how clutch Bama is and that her players are not automatons but humans with great desire, who are great teammates, etc. They will be more fun to watch - and yes, it matters.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I think it'll slow down in terms of them showing and talking it so much during the games. But it will be in the pre-game highlights hype for years to come.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I get where you're going, but to the sports world, Bama's victory over UGA was never in question - especially on an offensive possession. Was it dramatic? Heck yes, but was it something no one could have ever expected? No.

Kick-six was something no one (or very few) could have ever expected. That is why it is likely considered by most spots fans (who don't pull for Bama) one of the, if not the, most amazing play in CFB history.
I'm really speaking more to the ramifications, the importance of the play, though the play itself was more important because of the game, but the AU play was certainly more unusual and much more well received :).

I do disagree that Bama's victory was assumed - it was anything but. That was one of the reasons the play was so magical. One moment 2nd and 26 with a shaky kicker, the next moment...

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I'm really speaking more to the ramifications, the importance of the play, though the play itself was more important because of the game, but the AU play was certainly more unusual and much more well received :).

I do disagree that Bama's victory was assumed - it was anything but. That was one of the reasons the play was so magical. One moment 2nd and 26 with a shaky kicker, the next moment...
I think he means going into the game, it was widely assumed that Bama would win

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Nope...This is from a boog today...and he works for me...LOL!!!

"You still didn’t win the biggest bowl of them all. The Iron Bowl.

We own the state of Alabama. Better luck next year. WDE!"

I would of just laughed in his face. You should tell him that auburn's Peach Bowl runner up trophy is in the mail

Last edited:

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018

Boom. Wow that was nicely done.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Seeing play doesn’t bother me for a few reasons. It’s probably the greatest play where an underdog, albeit not a huge underdog, beat the #1 team who happened to be their nemesis. You have to give the young man credit for making a play. It was a special moment. If that were Bama I would want to see it a lot much like-
1) Tua’s throw
2) Drake’s run back
3) Yeldon’s TD vs LSU
4) Cody’s 2 blocked FGs

Among other plays in the Saban era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.