Power Five games played by conference

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Teams playing ELEVEN Power Five Conference teams in 2018.

Big 10: Ohio State, Northwestern, Purdue.

Big 12: Texas, West Virginia.

PAC 12: USC.

ACC: None

SEC: None

Teams playing TEN Power Five Conference teams in 2018.

B1g 10: (eight) Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St, Rutgers, Iowa and Nebraska

Big 12: (seven) Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, TCU and Texas Tech.

PAC 12: (nine) Oregon St, Stanford, Washington, Wash St, Arizona, Ariz St, Colorado, UCLA.

ACC: (five) Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Wake Forest, and Duke.

SEC: NONE

I still believe this lack of Power Five games will come back to bite the SEC some year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don't care how many P5 teams a team plays OOC. It's all about who you play, not what conference the team is in.

Sagarin ranked Kansas #157 while ranking Mercer #151. Clearly, Kansas would make the schedule tougher.

Sagarin ranked Oregon State #130 while ranking Fresno State #53 and Colorado State #84.

Illinois was #127, which is one spot ahead of UAB in its return to football.

As bad as Tennessee was in 2017, it is still ahead of Baylor and Rutgers.

And looking at the 2018 schedule, Arkansas State finished #88 and Louisiana-Lafayette was #150.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Teams playing ELEVEN Power Five Conference teams in 2018.

Big 10: Ohio State, Northwestern, Purdue.

Big 12: Texas, West Virginia.

PAC 12: USC.

ACC: None

SEC: None

Teams playing TEN Power Five Conference teams in 2018.

B1g 10: (eight) Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St, Rutgers, Iowa and Nebraska

Big 12: (seven) Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, TCU and Texas Tech.

PAC 12: (nine) Oregon St, Stanford, Washington, Wash St, Arizona, Ariz St, Colorado, UCLA.

ACC: (five) Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Wake Forest, and Duke.

SEC: NONE

I still believe this lack of Power Five games will come back to bite the SEC some year.
Don't care how many P5 teams a team plays OOC. It's all about who you play, not what conference the team is in.
Both of you make good points. This will be interesting in the coming years to see how new committee members view this.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Sagarin ranked Kansas #157 while ranking Mercer #151. Clearly, Kansas would make the schedule tougher.

Sagarin ranked Oregon State #130 while ranking Fresno State #53 and Colorado State #84.

And looking at the 2018 schedule, Arkansas State finished #88 and Louisiana-Lafayette was #150.
Preaching to the choir brother. We know this but the people who have microphones and cameras don't seem to get it. We will still hear and see how poor the SEC and SOS is.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that Rutgers is a "Power 5".

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Everyone is right here. The "Power 5" label means nothing when it applies to Kansas, Indiana, Illinois, et. al, it's just another way to elevate weaker conference schedules. Alabama could play most of those schedules and the #3's and 4's would get as much playing time as the 1's. If the SEC would go to a 9 game SEC schedule it would stop a lot of the crazy talk, but of course not all of it. It wouldn't bother me a bit to see a 10-game schedule, but there's little chance of that when the only coach in favor of 9 is Saban.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Preaching to the choir brother. We know this but the people who have microphones and cameras don't seem to get it. We will still hear and see how poor the SEC and SOS is.
There were 2 SEC teams in a 4 team playoff and a subsequent all SEC NC game. I don't think the SEC has anything to worry about from a reputation or SOS perspective with the people who matter i.e. the CFP committee. Now, if you're talking about all the "embrace debate" shows on ESPN, FS1 etc. then yea but improving the SEC OOC schedule wouldn't change that..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really don't understand why quantity should matter more than quality. So you schedule Maryland and Rutgers, what does that prove?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I feel for the season ticket holders who have to pay for 3, very obviously, sup par games. I would rather see us have home and homes against our traditional, non SEC rivals such as USCwest, ND, and Miami.

With that and an SEC schedule you could lose 2 games and still make the playoffs...easily.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Everyone is right here. The "Power 5" label means nothing when it applies to Kansas, Indiana, Illinois, et. al, it's just another way to elevate weaker conference schedules. Alabama could play most of those schedules and the #3's and 4's would get as much playing time as the 1's. If the SEC would go to a 9 game SEC schedule it would stop a lot of the crazy talk, but of course not all of it. It wouldn't bother me a bit to see a 10-game schedule, but there's little chance of that when the only coach in favor of 9 is Saban.
This ^^^

FWIW, I agree with all the above. And really with most of the posts in this thread.

But flipping the coin for a moment - since its clear there ARE plenty of "P-5" teams that suck worse than Sunbelt teams,
AND there are plenty of "respectable" mid-major FBS programs that would pose no more threat to Alabama than a team like The Citadel or Mercer - then Why oh Why must Alabama continue to schedule LOWER DIVISION PROGRAMS???

Frankly, its embarrassing, and its a FRAUD and a RIP-OFF for season ticket holders. Tide Pride and season tickets are not cheap - and it simply adds insult to injury to pay real money to watch a pathetic scrimmage, where the biggest question of the day is simply whether any Alabama starter will be injured in their brief first half appearance.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This ^^^

FWIW, I agree with all the above. And really with most of the posts in this thread.

But flipping the coin for a moment - since its clear there ARE plenty of "P-5" teams that suck worse than Sunbelt teams,
AND there are plenty of "respectable" mid-major FBS programs that would pose no more threat to Alabama than a team like The Citadel or Mercer - then Why oh Why must Alabama continue to schedule LOWER DIVISION PROGRAMS???

Frankly, its embarrassing, and its a FRAUD and a RIP-OFF for season ticket holders. Tide Pride and season tickets are not cheap - and it simply adds insult to injury to pay real money to watch a pathetic scrimmage, where the biggest question of the day is simply whether any Alabama starter will be injured in their brief first half appearance.
If you thought we were on fumes this year headed into the Auburn game, lets put a good team in that Mercer slot. We wouldn't be howling about another National Title. These kids can't handle 12 high level opponents in a year. I understand what you are saying, but there wouldn't be a problem getting season tickets if we played tougher opponents week after week. Losing a couple or three games a year would change the demand for tickets.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If you thought we were on fumes this year headed into the Auburn game, lets put a good team in that Mercer slot. We wouldn't be howling about another National Title. These kids can't handle 12 high level opponents in a year. I understand what you are saying, but there wouldn't be a problem getting season tickets if we played tougher opponents week after week. Losing a couple or three games a year would change the demand for tickets.
First, it's funny that people talk about ticket holders getting ripped off, but also want less home games.

That aside, did anyone notice how beat up Alabama was? Who thinks the solution to that is to you know, beat them up more? Clearly the team that played Auburn was nowhere near as good as the team that played Clemson, why was that? Oh yeah... rest.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
This ^^^

Why Bama and most SEC teams do it is because of money. Other P5 teams demand home and home. CSU and FSUw do not, even though they are better than 20% of P5 programs. Also, the PAC12 has admitted that they have to schedule other P5 teams just to sell tickets, many SEC schools do not. They get the added benefit of pretending that they care about playing a tougher schedule. It's primarily money on both ends, then if there is political hay to be made, make the most you can. This sounds cynical, but I'm afraid it's true.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
According to Sagaran and most rating systems the best team in the AAC and MWC can beat a mid pack Power Five team. Note: Best vs Mid Pac. Yes, it is true UCF had something to crow about upsetting Auburn just like Utah did upsetting Alabama. But we all know why those two upsets happened. But the fact remains beating Kansas has more clout than beating Tulane or Kent State. Beating Rutgers means more than beating Utah State or UAB. It is just the way thing are.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
Another valid point is this........In reality what other top power 5 school wants to play an Alabama or an Oklahoma, etc and decrease their chances of potentially not making the playoffs because of it?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
A few years ago Coach Saban made a suggestion that maybe every Power 5 team should play at least 10 Power 5 teams.
So...teams from conferences that play 8 games would need to add 2 Power 5 games.
Teams from conferences that play 9 games would need to add 1 Power 5 game.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I agree... It's not always who you play, but rather how you play.
For ranking purposes it's the relative ranking of each team in the NCAA.
That's why I'm against guaranteeing a team a playoff spot because they win their conference.
Some of the NCAA teams are pathetically weak.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.