Question: hospital billing question

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
So I had a bill come in the mail yesterday. No date of service, dr seen or code of any kind. Didn't even have insurance holder or number on it. Just a bill. I called the number and inquired. Nice lady on the other end said "ummmm, this is from 2/25/2013". Me "can you tell me what it's for"? Her "ummmm, it doesn't say why you weren't billed earlier". Me "so you can't tell me what this was for"? Her "wow, that bill is 5 years old". Seems they would just write that insignificant amount off...but I don't want some collection agency calling. Am I obligated to pay it?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So I had a bill come in the mail yesterday. No date of service, dr seen or code of any kind. Didn't even have insurance holder or number on it. Just a bill. I called the number and inquired. Nice lady on the other end said "ummmm, this is from 2/25/2013". Me "can you tell me what it's for"? Her "ummmm, it doesn't say why you weren't billed earlier". Me "so you can't tell me what this was for"? Her "wow, that bill is 5 years old". Seems they would just write that insignificant amount off...but I don't want some collection agency calling. Am I obligated to pay it?
reply in writing asking for validation of the debt, they have 30 days to prove you owe it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm afraid that, for practical purposes, the answer is "yes." You're probably not legally obligated because of its age. However, the problem is your credit rating, which is important for numerous reasons. Several years ago, I was sent a bill for $370 for a hospital stay where an attempt was made to place a heart artery stent which failed. Since I have Medicare A, B, and C, I normally have zero to pay. Never had before this bill; never have since. When I contacted the hospital, the answer I got was that BC/BC didn't cover that amount - no reason given. I called BC/BS and their answer was "ask the hospital." I know now that I could have disputed it with Medicare and I will in the future. However, being an attorney, I told them to go on and file suit and I'd like to hear them try to get the court to buy that claim, that they'd have to come up with what it was for, which they obviously couldn't do. Bad move. It went on my credit report as a collection action, which give a big ding. It's still affecting our credit rating. I'm entitled to lodge a statement with all three major agencies, telling my side of it, but that doesn't really help that much. I don't know the size of your bill. Obviously, that would play into it. If it were just a nuisance amount, my advice would be to pay it...

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
For $100 cash Bodhi's Debt Relief Inc. can negotiate a debt settlement for you.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm afraid that, for practical purposes, the answer is "yes." You're probably not legally obligated because of its age. However, the problem is your credit rating, which is important for numerous reasons. Several years ago, I was sent a bill for $370 for a hospital stay where an attempt was made to place a heart artery stent which failed. Since I have Medicare A, B, and C, I normally have zero to pay. Never had before this bill; never have since. When I contacted the hospital, the answer I got was that BC/BC didn't cover that amount - no reason given. I called BC/BS and their answer was "ask the hospital." I know now that I could have disputed it with Medicare and I will in the future. However, being an attorney, I told them to go on and file suit and I'd like to hear them try to get the court to buy that claim, that they'd have to come up with what it was for, which they obviously couldn't do. Bad move. It went on my credit report as a collection action, which give a big ding. It's still affecting our credit rating. I'm entitled to lodge a statement with all three major agencies, telling my side of it, but that doesn't really help that much. I don't know the size of your bill. Obviously, that would play into it. If it were just a nuisance amount, my advice would be to pay it...
if they can't prove that he owes it they can't keep it on his credit report. Ask for validation, if they can't validate keep that notice and dispute it on the credit bureau if it shows up there, use the letter as proof for those purposes and the bureaus will be forced by law to remove it

bit of a pain but it is how this works

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.