Way too early 2018 SEC predictions

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I agree the SECCG will be Alabama-Georgia. The toughest game for both teams during the regular season will be the same, @LSU. I think an Alabama-Georgia showdown for the SEC title will be an annual event for the foreseeable future.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
i just don't see uga getting to the end of the season with a 0 in the loss column, they have the weight of high expectations in addition to the weight of carrying a grudge throughout the season.
Agreed. Weren't they a bit senior-heavy last year?

They may win the East, but I don't see them going undefeated.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I am about 95% on Alabama being undefeated in the regular season next year. If Bama loses a regular season game next year I will wear Tennessee gear for a day.
Going into the 2012 season, I felt there was no way we would lose a regular season game....and then Manziel happened. I actually remember a conversation I had with my father before the season started that the regular season would be pretty boring outside of the LSU game. There always seems to be a team that comes out of nowhere, and my money is on Missouri this coming year.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
The signing classes aren't even finished but that doesn't mean we can't make some ridiculously early predictions for the next season.

SEC West Champion: Alabama

Auburn gets "stunned" in their opener against Washington in the Georgia Dome. Texas A&M is the surprise team of the division but come up short against Clemson, @Bama, @Auburn. Mississippi State is the dud team of the division. They return a lot of exciting pieces but their schedule is not favorable nor do I think Fitzgerald much of a quarterback for the Moorhead system deployed at Penn State. Alabama gets tested against Texas A&M early then officially put Coach Orgeron on the hot seat by destroying LSU in Death Valley at night. The Iron Bowl is a competitive game but Alabama returns the favor for 2017 with a convincing home win to secure the SEC West.

Alabama: 12-0 (8-0)

Auburn: 9-3 (6-2)

Texas A&M: 9-3 (6-2)

Louisiana State: 7-5 (4-4)

Ole Miss: 6-6 (3-5)

Mississippi State: 4-8 (1-7)

Arkansas: 3-9 (1-7)

SEC East Champion: Georgia

Georgia has an immensely "runnable" schedule with their toughest road game being against an LSU team I am not high on in 2018. Florida is the surprise team with Mullen immediately making a huge turnaround similar to Fisher on the other side of the conference. He'll drop the cocktail party and their road game matchup with the Noles. Tennessee has a truly rough season and people will doubt Pruitt's ability to get it done but Butch left him a complete program mess.

Georgia: 12-0 (8-0)

Florida: 10-2 (7-1)

South Carolina: 8-4 (5-3)

Kentucky: 8-4 (4-4)

Missouri: 7-5 (4-4)

Tennessee: 4-8 (1-7)

Vanderbilt: 2-10 (0-8)

SEC Championship: Alabama over Georgia.

This will be a hyped rematch like no other as it becomes apparent by the end of October that this matchup is on a collision course. I expect another instant classic. Too close to call right now because a lot of the UGA season rides on how their true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and true sophomores (Kirby's first two full classes) develop over the course of the season. Lets not underrate the revenge factor for UGA too. Who will refuse to be denied? I'm going with Alabama right now because they basically just need to solidify their secondary over the off-season and 12 regular season games. Otherwise, they're locked, cocked, ready to rock. Georgia could become a giant killer depending on their underclassman development.
I actually believe that teams like MSU and South Carolina may step up and challenge for their divisions next year, but I see both falling just short. I expect Auburn, Kentucky, Missouri, and A&M to all take a step backward, and UT and Vandy to both improve slightly. Of course, it is waaaay early and this is all light-hearted speculation...and your guess is as good as any, but your W's and L's do need to come out to 56-56 at the end of all games played.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Going into the 2012 season, I felt there was no way we would lose a regular season game....and then Manziel happened. I actually remember a conversation I had with my father before the season started that the regular season would be pretty boring outside of the LSU game. There always seems to be a team that comes out of nowhere, and my money is on Missouri this coming year.

I am glad we play Missouri at home rather than away. Drew Lock is a good QB, so I hope our secondary will be ready. I think the West will be tougher to win from now on, especially if Texas AM and Miss State do well with their new coaches. At least we get them at home this coming season too. Auburn will be hard to figure out as always.. they are so inconsistent. Glad we have them at home too!

We should be able to win the West if we can keep everyone healthy, especially the QB, RB's, and Linebackers. I don't want another injury filled season again.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
Alabama success will depend on who will be behind the QB position and how Locksley calls the game. I am not ready to name Tua the starter this early.

Georgia- They will not go undefeated. SEC EAST is brutal.
Tennessee- This could be the sleeper team that might win the EAST along with Florida.
The SEC East is Brutal? Does not compute, Please explain.............

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You have both divisions going 29-27. If one is 29-27, then the other has to be 27-29. Your total is 58-54. Should be 56-56.
Good catch, I think I messed up on some of the lower end teams. Will review it...shoulda made a spreadsheet!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If our defensive backfield gets sorted out we will have a real shot at being a very good team. UGa's schedule looks ridiculously easy, but they had 31 seniors on the team and will surely lose a couple of juniors. Plus, we have seen for years how hard it is to dress out with that target on your back.

Rtr

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
If our defensive backfield gets sorted out we will have a real shot at being a very good team. UGa's schedule looks ridiculously easy, but they had 31 seniors on the team and will surely lose a couple of juniors. Plus, we have seen for years how hard it is to dress out with that target on your back.

Rtr
Something tells me we'll get that worked out:)

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

Rtr
If the pass rush is as good as it looks in paper that will help the secondary development a little easier to manage.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't expect any team to go undefeated in the SEC - even Alabama. But I will be shocked if GA doesn't do better than 9-3 next season.
They lost a ton off this year's team. Until Kirby proves he can just plug and play, I'm not believing he can. They are still talented enough to win the division, but the difference between 11-1 and 9-3 is razor thin a lot of times.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
LSU struggles to become bowl eligible. SEC East is more competitive than people think. SEC West is less competitive than people think with only Bama and the barn being any good, and the barn not really being that good. Bama beats Missouri in SECCG in a shootout.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.