Way too early 2018 SEC predictions

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The signing classes aren't even finished but that doesn't mean we can't make some ridiculously early predictions for the next season.

SEC West Champion: Alabama

Auburn gets "stunned" in their opener against Washington in the Georgia Dome. Texas A&M is the surprise team of the division but come up short against Clemson, @Bama, @Auburn. Mississippi State is the dud team of the division. They return a lot of exciting pieces but their schedule is not favorable nor do I think Fitzgerald much of a quarterback for the Moorhead system deployed at Penn State. Alabama gets tested against Texas A&M early then officially put Coach Orgeron on the hot seat by destroying LSU in Death Valley at night. The Iron Bowl is a competitive game but Alabama returns the favor for 2017 with a convincing home win to secure the SEC West.

Alabama: 12-0 (8-0)

Auburn: 9-3 (6-2)

Texas A&M: 9-3 (6-2)

Louisiana State: 7-5 (4-4)

Ole Miss: 6-6 (3-5)

Mississippi State: 4-8 (1-7)

Arkansas: 3-9 (1-7)

SEC East Champion: Georgia

Georgia has an immensely "runnable" schedule with their toughest road game being against an LSU team I am not high on in 2018. Florida is the surprise team with Mullen immediately making a huge turnaround similar to Fisher on the other side of the conference. He'll drop the cocktail party and their road game matchup with the Noles. Tennessee has a truly rough season and people will doubt Pruitt's ability to get it done but Butch left him a complete program mess.

Georgia: 12-0 (8-0)

Florida: 10-2 (7-1)

South Carolina: 8-4 (5-3)

Kentucky: 8-4 (4-4)

Missouri: 7-5 (4-4)

Tennessee: 4-8 (1-7)

Vanderbilt: 2-10 (0-8)

SEC Championship: Alabama over Georgia.

This will be a hyped rematch like no other as it becomes apparent by the end of October that this matchup is on a collision course. I expect another instant classic. Too close to call right now because a lot of the UGA season rides on how their true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and true sophomores (Kirby's first two full classes) develop over the course of the season. Lets not underrate the revenge factor for UGA too. Who will refuse to be denied? I'm going with Alabama right now because they basically just need to solidify their secondary over the off-season and 12 regular season games. Otherwise, they're locked, cocked, ready to rock. Georgia could become a giant killer depending on their underclassman development.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i just don't see uga getting to the end of the season with a 0 in the loss column, they have the weight of high expectations in addition to the weight of carrying a grudge throughout the season.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The signing classes aren't even finished but that doesn't mean we can't make some ridiculously early predictions for the next season.

Auburn gets "stunned" in their opener against Washington in the Georgia Dome. Texas A&M is the surprise team of the division but come up short against Clemson, @Bama, @Auburn. Mississippi State is the dud team of the division. They return a lot of exciting pieces but their schedule is not favorable nor do I think Fitzgerald much of a quarterback for the Moorhead system deployed at Penn State. Alabama gets tested against Texas A&M early then officially put Coach Orgeron on the hot seat by destroying LSU in Death Valley at night. The Iron Bowl is a competitive game but Alabama returns the favor for 2017 with a convincing home win to secure the SEC West.

Georgia has an immensely "runnable" schedule with their toughest road game being against an LSU team I am not high on in 2018. Florida is the surprise team with Mullen immediately making a huge turnaround similar to Fisher on the other side of the conference. He'll drop the cocktail party and their road game matchup with the Noles. Tennessee has a truly rough season and people will doubt Pruitt's ability to get it done but Butch left him a complete program mess.

This will be a hyped rematch like no other as it becomes apparent by the end of October that this matchup is on a collision course. I expect another instant classic. Too close to call right now because a lot of the UGA season rides on how their true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and true sophomores (Kirby's first two full classes) develop over the course of the season. Lets not underrate the revenge factor for UGA too. Who will refuse to be denied? I'm going with Alabama right now because they basically just need to solidify their secondary over the off-season and 12 regular season games. Otherwise, they're locked, cocked, ready to rock. Georgia could become a giant killer depending on their underclassman development.
Great job. I do question A&Ms success - I just don't think that much of Fisher. But we may find out how lacking Sumlin was. I also think UT will be a tad better and their play by the end of the year will suggest a better future, if not more wins.

IMO, Tua and the OL will be the difference against UGA and Clemson.

Again, well reasoned predictions.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

Georgia lost a good bit of talent to the NFL this year. I expect that they will be 11-1 rather than 12-0 headed into the SECCG but they will still be east champions. If they are 12-0 I expect some of their wins to be ugly wins. Alabama I think will easily be 12-0 on the season if my assumptions about the offense are correct. Tennessee I expect to improve under Pruitts first year but still never challenge for the eastern division. The Barn will have buyers remorse by the end of the season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
i just don't see uga getting to the end of the season with a 0 in the loss column, they have the weight of high expectations in addition to the weight of carrying a grudge throughout the season.
I think this is a fair point and they also lose a ton of senior leadership/talent.

Next season will be the first real test for Kirby.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Alabama success will depend on who will be behind the QB position and how Locksley calls the game. I am not ready to name Tua the starter this early.

Georgia- They will not go undefeated. SEC EAST is brutal.
Tennessee- This could be the sleeper team that might win the EAST along with Florida.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Alabama success will depend on who will be behind the QB position and how Locksley calls the game. I am not ready to name Tua the starter this early.

Georgia- They will not go undefeated. SEC EAST is brutal.
Tennessee- This could be the sleeper team that might win the EAST along with Florida.
While I am a pretty big believer in Pruitts ability to turn Tennessee arround I seriously doubt he will do it in one year. Going from 4-8 to 6-6 and bowl eligible in one year is a huge leap. To go from 4-8 to sec east champions in one year would be near impossible.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Code:
Sat, Sep 1    vs Austin Peay	
Sat, Sep 8    @ South Carolina	
Sat, Sep 15   vs Mid Tennessee	
Sat, Sep 22   @ Missouri	
Sat, Sep 29   vs Tennessee	
Sat, Oct 6     vs Vanderbilt	
Sat, Oct 13   @ LSU	
Sat, Oct 27   vs Florida	
Sat, Nov 3    @ Kentucky	
Sat, Nov 10  vs Auburn	
Sat, Nov 17  vs UMass	
Sat, Nov 24  vs Georgia Tech

That is why I think Georgia goes 12-0. They have the exact kind of schedule to let two top recruiting classes learn on the field.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Code:
Sat, Sep 22   @ Missouri	
Sat, Oct 13   @ LSU	
Sat, Oct 27   vs Florida	
Sat, Nov 3    @ Kentucky	
Sat, Nov 10  vs Auburn	
Sat, Nov 17  vs UMass	

That is why I think Georgia goes 12-0. They have the exact kind of schedule to let two top recruiting classes learn on the field.
If I'm Kirby I am not letting my team overlook South Carolina.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
While I am a pretty big believer in Pruitts ability to turn Tennessee arround I seriously doubt he will do it in one year. Going from 4-8 to 6-6 and bowl eligible in one year is a huge leap. To go from 4-8 to sec east champions in one year would be near impossible.
But his defense will be very stingy and there is no doubt in my mind that they will steal 2 or 3 games that they should've lost.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Code:
[U][B]Sat, Sep 8    @ South Carolina    [/B][/U]
[U][B]Sat, Sep 22   @ Missouri  [/B][/U]  
[U][B]Sat, Sep 29   vs Tennessee[/B][/U]    
[U][B]Sat, Oct 13   @ LSU [/B][/U]   
[U][B]Sat, Oct 27   vs Florida  [/B][/U]  
Sat, Nov 3    @ Kentucky    
[U][B]Sat, Nov 10  vs Auburn  [/B][/U]  
Sat, Nov 17  vs UMass    

Can't take them for granted.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Code:
Sat, Sep 22   @ Missouri    
Sat, Oct 13   @ LSU    
Sat, Oct 27   vs Florida    
Sat, Nov 3    @ Kentucky    
Sat, Nov 10  vs Auburn    
Sat, Nov 17  vs UMass    

There are several toss up games on that schedule.

All of the road games, especially South Carolina and LSU but even Missouri and Kentucky can't be taken for granted. Florida should be greatly improved under Mullen. The rest should be wins, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Georgia finish in the 9-3 range.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

All of the road games, especially South Carolina and LSU but even Missouri and Kentucky can't be taken for granted. Florida should be greatly improved under Mullen. The rest should be wins, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Georgia finish in the 9-3 range.
I don't expect any team to go undefeated in the SEC - even Alabama. But I will be shocked if GA doesn't do better than 9-3 next season.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN

If Mizzou can score like they did last year, I think they can snake bite any team in the East and it's never easy going into Colombia, especially if it's your SEC opener

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I don't expect any team to go undefeated in the SEC - even Alabama. But I will be shocked if GA doesn't do better than 9-3 next season.
I am about 95% on Alabama being undefeated in the regular season next year. If Bama loses a regular season game next year I will wear Tennessee gear for a day.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am about 95% on Alabama being undefeated in the regular season next year. If Bama loses a regular season game next year I will wear Tennessee gear for a day.
I get that and I hope that Alabama can go undefeated, but don't expect it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.