Way too early 2018 SEC predictions

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Next year will be a different type of year for us. We always lose a lot of defensive players, but I've grown accustomed to us just plugging new guys in and it working out. I know the defensive backfield may be an issue, but next year the big question will be how the defensive coaching gels/schemes. Something to watch for sure. It's somewhat reassuring that we have a pretty good HC that will oversee it.

On the other side of the ball, I do think we'll field an offense that can be prolific. Even if the defense is slow to come around, I think we'll be in a position for the first time in a several years that we might could get into a Big 12 type shootout and we'll be the victor because we'll have the best gunslinger!

I agree that we've got a great chance to go 12-0 in the regular season next year!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There is so much we just don't know about next year's team at this point. I do think we are pretty clearly the best team in the conference right now. I won't put records because I'm not totally familiar with schedules but at this point, my prediction would be:

WEST

Alabama
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
MSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Missouri
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

I think Texas A&M finishes above Auburn because their game is at Jordan-Hare and if I'm not mistaken, A&M has not lost there since they joined the league. Ironically, I don't think Auburn has lost in College Station either. Maybe I am giving Fisher too much credit here, but Sumlin's problem was never recruiting. I do think A&M, Auburn, and LSU will be a tough fight for second place. Ultimately, Coach O loses that fight, IMO. Ole Miss and MSU will fight for one of the SEC's last bowl slots. Arkansas will suck.

In the East, I do think Georgia wins it but barely. Florida is competitive but Mullen needs to upgrade the talent base. South Carolina beats UGA early in the season, but ends up dropping a couple later on which knocks them out of the race. Missouri is improved overall, but doesn't have the defense and depth to win the division. Tennessee is in a tough spot but I think Pruitt will show some positive for them in Year 1. Kentucky might finish above Tennessee but I think Vandy brings up the rear as usual.

Alabama, Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, MSU, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Missouri will make bowls for sure, and either Tennessee or Kentucky will but not both.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Georgia will have a very talented team again in 2018 but make no mistake, their best shot at a national championship was two weeks ago. That team was loaded with upperclassmen and several talented juniors who went pro. I suspect they will win the East again but it won't be a cake walk. Missouri, South Carolina and Florida will be tough. Tennessee is a mystery because they're in transition but they still have some talent.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have a feeling Georgia drops a game or 2 (I have a feeling South Carolina is going to play them tough.) but still think they win the East. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a game but I don't see anyone on our schedule apart from Auburn that has a real shot.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Yeah, don't sleep on South Carolina. Muschamp seems to finally be finding his groove as a head coach and they had an extremely young team this past year. They were on the verge this year going 9-4 and only losing to UGA, Clemson, and then two early season losses in UK and TAMU. Their quarterback, Bentley, is a young stud, and they return at least their top 3 rushers, top 5 receivers, and 3 of their starting OL. Big question for them is defense, where they are losing 7 of their 11 starters. Still, USCe always seems to have an adequate defense.

Their schedule is also very favorable in that they get Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, and Texas A&M at home. Having to go at Florida and at Clemson will be rough to end the season, but I could easily see USCe upsetting UGA early, and bolting out to 6-0 or 7-0 before they come back to reality.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
While I am a pretty big believer in Pruitts ability to turn Tennessee arround I seriously doubt he will do it in one year. Going from 4-8 to 6-6 and bowl eligible in one year is a huge leap. To go from 4-8 to sec east champions in one year would be near impossible.
Not to mention the team is being gutted by graduation. There's just not much good talent on campus in Knoxville right now. I'll be impressed if they are bowl eligible in week 13.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Some random predictions:

TAMU will be a bigger threat, and the barn will once again be good. Stidham and Tua will both have monster seasons. The iron bowl will once again be for a spot in the seccg, and we will win with the help of home field advantage. We will beat Florida in the seccg.

Jimbo Fisher will get sec coach of the year.

Bryce Love will win the Heisman.

Four playoff teams will be Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Stanford. ACC will be locked out.

Bama beats Ohio State for #18.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We will have the SEC West. Trailing behind will be TAMU,
then Auburn.

On the East... Georgia will lead the East, Followed by Florida,
then Tennessee.

If we play to expectations...
We can win em all, and again go into the playoffs.
It may not be easy, but #18 is there for the taking.
It's all a matter of how bad we want #18...

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
We will have the SEC West. Trailing behind will be TAMU,
then Auburn.

On the East... Georgia will lead the East, Followed by Florida,
then Tennessee.

If we play to expectations...
We can win em all, and again go into the playoffs.
It may not be easy, but #18 is there for the taking.
It's all a matter of how bad we want #18...
I think the east will be somewhat interesting. Not that who will come out on top but the role of the teams beneath. Mullen will have Florida playing better but I'm giving him a year to get his qb and offense in place. Defense however is rarely a problem at Florida. I think the surprise might be South Carolina, somehow Muschamp has gotten those guys playing with a little bit of swag....further along than I thought? They haven't turned the corner but they are one of those teams that could give headaches and cause a little havoc on a given Saturday in the East. I wouldn't be totally shocked if they finished second next year....depending on Floridas progress under Mullen. Tennessee....interesting ...CJP will do a good job there but I like where south Carolina is currently in relation to where Tennessee sits but I could see Tennessee passing them under CJP in a couple years....just my two cents

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Speaking of "Way too early" I've just read that Alabama has been made a way too early 30 point favorite over Louisville in next seasons opener.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
The signing classes aren't even finished but that doesn't mean we can't make some ridiculously early predictions for the next season.

SEC West Champion: Alabama

Auburn gets "stunned" in their opener against Washington in the Georgia Dome. Texas A&M is the surprise team of the division but come up short against Clemson, @Bama, @Auburn. Mississippi State is the dud team of the division. They return a lot of exciting pieces but their schedule is not favorable nor do I think Fitzgerald much of a quarterback for the Moorhead system deployed at Penn State. Alabama gets tested against Texas A&M early then officially put Coach Orgeron on the hot seat by destroying LSU in Death Valley at night. The Iron Bowl is a competitive game but Alabama returns the favor for 2017 with a convincing home win to secure the SEC West.

Alabama: 12-0 (8-0)

Auburn: 9-3 (6-2)

Texas A&M: 9-3 (6-2)

Louisiana State: 7-5 (4-4)

Ole Miss: 6-6 (3-5)

Mississippi State: 4-8 (1-7)

Arkansas: 3-9 (1-7)

SEC East Champion: Georgia

Georgia has an immensely "runnable" schedule with their toughest road game being against an LSU team I am not high on in 2018. Florida is the surprise team with Mullen immediately making a huge turnaround similar to Fisher on the other side of the conference. He'll drop the cocktail party and their road game matchup with the Noles. Tennessee has a truly rough season and people will doubt Pruitt's ability to get it done but Butch left him a complete program mess.

Georgia: 12-0 (8-0)

Florida: 10-2 (7-1)

South Carolina: 8-4 (5-3)

Kentucky: 8-4 (4-4)

Missouri: 7-5 (4-4)

Tennessee: 4-8 (1-7)

Vanderbilt: 2-10 (0-8)

SEC Championship: Alabama over Georgia.

This will be a hyped rematch like no other as it becomes apparent by the end of October that this matchup is on a collision course. I expect another instant classic. Too close to call right now because a lot of the UGA season rides on how their true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and true sophomores (Kirby's first two full classes) develop over the course of the season. Lets not underrate the revenge factor for UGA too. Who will refuse to be denied? I'm going with Alabama right now because they basically just need to solidify their secondary over the off-season and 12 regular season games. Otherwise, they're locked, cocked, ready to rock. Georgia could become a giant killer depending on their underclassman development.
Nice write up! I do think you're overly optimistic on Florida's turnaround. Emory Jones is not the answer, leaving the Gator's once again without a proven or serviceable QB. That's a huge problem to overcome. Moreover, they just don't have the offensive line or defense to make a 10 game run. I think South Carolina will be the runner up in the East. Boom is doing a nice job and they have a very good QB in Bentley with a solid defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.