News Article: Tua Tagovailoa has best odds among SEC players to win 2018 Heisman Trophy

Kpro

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2018
I’m not sure if you saw the Championship game or not. I didn’t get to see it live. I don’t know how one has more anxiety or pressure than what Tua faces in the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
Touché

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
They've named him one of the favorites when Saban hasn't even "officially" decided who the starter will be. I guess the oddsmakers are pretty sure what Saban's decision will be. I think they made Jalen one of the favorites though a year ago so the odds don't always work out, but Tua has the passing ability to do it. AJ was a Heisman runner-up and Tua has the potential to be better than AJ.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
For an Alabama player to win the Heisman, he will have to be head and shoulders better than the other candidates. Other teams spend a lot of money doing a Hype Campaign all season long telling the world how good their candidate is. We generally play a lot of players when we get ahead, rather than keep feeding the ball to a RB that might be a candidate. OR... We get ahead and our #2 QB gets significant playing time at the expense of the #1 QB.

Fact is Alabama places emphasis on team over Individuals.
And yes... We sometimes have an individual with outstanding numbers even with our deep roster.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I really don't know the answer to this. Has a wrong-handed quarterback ever won the Heisman?
Terry Baker from Oregon State, 1962. Not sure why I remembered him :). It must be because it was my very early impressionable years, cause i remember '58-'63, except for '61. In '61 I guess I was distracted by Bama's first NC in my lifetime :).

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
He did get a head start over the rest of the field. I guess we will have to get use to seeing Tua in the Heisman watch segments each week during the season. What a shame.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
I wonder what the odds would be if he played the entire game?:conf3: on TideFans.com
Would they be higher or lower?
Would he have to pull the game out in OT?
Lots of what ifs....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know how we'll use him...and yes I'm assuming he will start and play well!

Because CNS wants balance in rushing and passing numbers, Tua won't put up Baker Mayfield numbers, but I think Tua can/will put up some serious passing numbers next year and when that is done along side winning all/most of our games, it's a no brainer that he'll be in the mix.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think Tua has the chance to be the best QB under Saban. But, Jalen had the best Heisman hope IMO. I think with Tua the offense won't be just about him because A) he is a great distributor and B) we have a stacked OL and RB group returning. Hurts was a better Heisman contender IMO because he runs so much and was the crux of the O. If he was a better passer his numbers would be incredible.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Tua has the chance to be the best QB under Saban. But, Jalen had the best Heisman hope IMO. I think with Tua the offense won't be just about him because A) he is a great distributor and B) we have a stacked OL and RB group returning. Hurts was a better Heisman contender IMO because he runs so much and was the crux of the O. If he was a better passer his numbers would be incredible.
After his breakout freshman year, Hurts was never going to win the Heisman on his legs alone...not even if we overused him while splitting runs with him and our tailbacks. Good teams figured out how to neutralize him. Ironically, his better chance would have been in freshman year, but he never developed into the passing qb he would have needed to be to compliment his rushing numbers.

Tua, on the other hand, will distribute the ball, as you say, but it'll be to an electric receiving core and I think he will rack up some pretty hefty numbers in doing so.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
After his breakout freshman year, Hurts was never going to win the Heisman on his legs alone...not even if we overused him while splitting runs with him and our tailbacks. Good teams figured out how to neutralize him. Ironically, his better chance would have been in freshman year, but he never developed into the passing qb he would have needed to be to compliment his rushing numbers.

Tua, on the other hand, will distribute the ball, as you say, but it'll be to an electric receiving core and I think he will rack up some pretty hefty numbers in doing so.
Right, I didn't say this clearly but I meant that IF Hurts had developed more as a passer he would have had a great shot at a Heisman. I think Tua will run the ball a LOT less than Jalen and its hard to win. I just think we are too stacked on offense for Tua to win tbh.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Right, I didn't say this clearly but I meant that IF Hurts had developed more as a passer he would have had a great shot at a Heisman. I think Tua will run the ball a LOT less than Jalen and its hard to win. I just think we are too stacked on offense for Tua to win tbh.
Maybe...but playing on a contender counts for something too. I really think Tua can/will be our MVP next year. Might not be good enough for the Heisman, but we don't worry about that too much when there's the bigger prize.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.