Thoughts on next year's O-line.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Barron was injured in the Auburn game.

Robbie Green didn't talk to an agent. He was ruled ineligible by the NCAA. IIRC, no official word was ever given, but speculation was a failed drug test (possibly steroids).
Oh I forgot that was the auburn game he got hurt.....my bad

Oh wow for some reason I thought he had talked to an agent. Clearly I don't know what I am talking about hahaha

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Will Lowery started most of the season. That shows we weren't fully recovered from the sanctions.
Yep. CJ Mosley had to start out of necessity because there was no one else on the depth chart. Hightower was also playing on a bad knee. He suffered a catastrophic knee injury in 2009 and clearly wasn't 100% in 2010. That season was the last bite from the NCAA sanctions. The defense had elite talent at the top but no depth at all. I remember seeing Lowery trying to tackle Cam Newton in the Iron Bowl that year and knew we were in trouble.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You are right about Lowery but Saban and a lot of others have stated the 2010 team was his most talented team.
I am sure that it was true then - not true anymore. The Alabama teams of the last few years and the next few years are the most talented that college football has ever seen.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since Williams played RT in 2016, I can see him moving back to RT and having Leatherwood handle the LT spot - especially if Tua gets the nod as the starter.

Better than 2012? I'll have to see that before I'm even willing to consider it - the 2012 OL was probably the best I've ever seen in CFB.
Was listening to the Tuscaloosa News' podcast at lunch. Aaron Suttles commented that the 2018 OL has the "potential to be 2012-esque."

The talent will be there. Just depends on how well they gel.
You are right about Lowery but Saban and a lot of others have stated the 2010 team was his most talented team.
Even if it was his most talented team, we were still suffering from the sanctions somewhat.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
As I said earlier, there was elite talent at the top but not much depth. When the injuries hit, the team couldn't handle it. Plus that team was not used to having the target on their back. Different story nowadays.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I am sure that it was true then - not true anymore. The Alabama teams of the last few years and the next few years are the most talented that college football has ever seen.
I thought Ohio State in 2015 was incredibly talented. Still trying to figure out how they lost to Michigan State at home that season.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yep. CJ Mosley had to start out of necessity because there was no one else on the depth chart. Hightower was also playing on a bad knee. He suffered a catastrophic knee injury in 2009 and clearly wasn't 100% in 2010. That season was the last bite from the NCAA sanctions. The defense had elite talent at the top but no depth at all. I remember seeing Lowery trying to tackle Cam Newton in the Iron Bowl that year and knew we were in trouble.
CJ was a starter in the nickel, and this was the transition year to where we started playing more nickel than base, but he was not the starter in base package. CJ got the role in nickel because he beat out a bunch of other pretty talented LBs also. I think they were all 4* or greater like Nico Johnson, Jerrell Harris, Chris Jordan, Petey Smith and Tana Patrick. CJ was just that good as a coverage LB - the depth chart was certainly already stacked from a few several CNS recruiting classes.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
How many, and which, OL guys do we have that are run blockers versus pass blockers? I remember during the Saban era we have had some year where it was better to run over right tackle, other years left tackle, and in 2012 i think we could run anywhere. We have also had years where run blocking was way better than pass blocking. Do the people close to the program see this as more of a run blocking or pass blocking line, or could they be well rounded on all things?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
CJ was a starter in the nickel, and this was the transition year to where we started playing more nickel than base, but he was not the starter in base package. CJ got the role in nickel because he beat out a bunch of other pretty talented LBs also. I think they were all 4* or greater like Nico Johnson, Jerrell Harris, Chris Jordan, Petey Smith and Tana Patrick. CJ was just that good as a coverage LB - the depth chart was certainly already stacked from a few several CNS recruiting classes.
Tana Patrick, Smith and Jordan never panned out at Alabama. Most of them were used as special teams players exclusively. They never made an impact as linebackers that I can recall. Smith actually transferred in 2011 I think. Nico Johnson was a very good player. No doubt. Jerrell Harris didn't truly make an impact until 2011.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tana Patrick, Smith and Jordan never panned out at Alabama. Most of them were used as special teams players exclusively. They never made an impact as linebackers that I can recall. Smith actually transferred in 2011 I think. Nico Johnson was a very good player. No doubt. Jerrell Harris didn't truly make an impact until 2011.
Not so fast...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
True - but the point still stands that they were all highly rated guys Saban recruited and who knows if they might have had more of an oppty to make an impact had CJ not come in and earned that spot before they did even though tey'd all had a couple more years in the program.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'll say this about Leatherwood. It's rare when you lose a starting left tackle in a championship game and the guy that comes in behind him arguably outplays him. I know when Tua came in his blindside went to the RT, but Leatherwood played like a seasoned veteran!
the block he had on the final play was sick. it was like a dad playing with his young son

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Interesting tidbit from this article:

On Tuesday, Bozeman confidently predicted next season’s starters on the offensive line. Freshman Alex Leatherwood would start at left guard, he said, and Ross Pierschbacher would move to center.

“Jonah [Williams] is a tackle,” Bozeman said. “He could easily play center, but he’s a tackle.”

Whether it’s Jedrick Wills Jr., Lester Cotton or the handful of four- and five-star prospects on the bench, Bozeman knew the line will be just fine without him.

At Alabama, it’s not so much rebuilding as it is reloading.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Expecting big things out these young men in '18. Very talented. No reason to NOT expect an excellent year. Not a revelation to anyone, but This group is going to be special.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.