SI: Five Standout 2017 Teams at Risk of Sliding Back to the Pack Next Fall

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Yep, can do nothing but agree with this assessment, especially with Georgia and USC. UGA has a great class coming in, but it’s going to take more than that to get back to where they want to be. Of course the East is weak, but all the senior leadership and talent overall is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
On balance I agree with you, although many Dawg fans believe we'll have more talent on the 2018 team than the predecessor. We may very well have more talent, but what concerns me is the quantity and quality of experience and leadership. I'm also concerned about replacing Roquan and TT. The young guys will have to fill that huge vacuum. I don't like to make predictions, but I feel relevantly confident we should take the East. Tenn. and Florida are still 2-3 years from rebuilding programs that were in shambles.
This is what I'm talking about as well. Also when you say UGA may "have more talent" in 2018. Physical talent and actually putting up better results on the field than the 2017 team are two vastly different things. It pains me to refer back to our 2010 team. This team should have won the national title. Hands down. They were more talented than the previous year's team, which won the national title. But ended up losing three games that year.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I've said it numerous times in other threads, that I will not be surprised (and I somewhat expect it) to see UGA take a step back in 2018. Now when I say "step back" I don't mean 8-4. I personally think they win ten games but I don't they go 12-1 or undefeated in the regular season. They lose at least two. Alabama has proven they can lose droves of talent and still win it all. We lost one of the best defenses I've seen in a long time last season and turned around and won it all this season. But on average, a team that loses the type of experienced talent UGA is losing takes a step back the following season.
They do have a great recruiting class, but Alabama is fairly unique in immediate results from a class. They had a lot of returning starters and seniors which lead to be a big turnaround, it will be interesting to how Smart does (and I sure as heck won't be pulling for him).

To give an example, last year Georgia was near the top of the SEC in returning starters, and Alabama as usual was near the bottom. This year they'll be about even.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is what I'm talking about as well. Also when you say UGA may "have more talent" in 2018. Physical talent and actually putting up better results on the field than the 2017 teams are two vastly different things. It pains me to refer back to our 2010 team. This team should have won the national title. Hands down. They were more talented than the previous year's team, which won the national title. But ended up losing three games that year.
That Alabama team play 8 ranked teams. All 3 losses were to ranked teams. I get that GA is going to have to figure out how to replace all of that talent and leadership, but they won't face a schedule like that. And, because they lost, they won't face complacency issues. I have no idea how this season will work out for GA, but their schedule is pretty easy. USCe, LSU and Auburn will be ranked - that may be it.

I think that we will find out very early how this GA team will shake out with the USCe game so early in their schedule.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
That Alabama team play 8 ranked teams. All 3 losses were to ranked teams. I get that GA is going to have to figure out how to replace all of that talent and leadership, but they won't face a schedule like that. And, because they lost, they won't face complacency issues. I have no idea how this season will work out for GA, but their schedule is pretty easy. USCe, LSU and Auburn will be ranked - that may be it.

I think that we will find out very early how this GA team will shake out with the USCe game so early in their schedule.
Wasn't that the year they all had bye weeks before Alabama as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.