Four Suspended Players Allowed to Rejoin Gators

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't have a problem with second chances, but it is a bad look when the second chance comes from the school where it all went down. But we don't know what they did to earn their restitution. Maybe they offered evidence - these were identities stolen from a much larger database given the spread of accounts/identities stolen. But I really have no sympathy for people who steal like this. None.

An older article about some of the particulars: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...players-charges-allegations-credit-card-fraud

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Yep. Stupid kids making a stupid mistake.
As kids we all made some stupid mistakes. Most of us grew up and lived them down.
At 18 I thought I was Bulletproof. I did all kinds of stupid things,
and took a lot of unnecessary risk... A second chance benefited most of us. It's called growing up.
Coach Saban believes in Second Chances if the player is honest with him... I do too.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Suffice to say these kids will be on a short leash. If they "mess up" again - they're gone. And they still have to compete for a spot on the depth chart somewhere...just like anyone else. They have a lot of work to do just to get on the field again.

Also agree that since violence wasn't involved...if the PTB allows their return, I will go with their call.

Got to consider that they sat out the entire season last year and thus had a lot of time to reflect on the stupid, illegal, harmful, and reckless nature of their acts.

Just my opinion that those suspensions were very significant in how Florida ended up with a losing record last year. And I also believe that they bear that weight on their shoulders.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just my opinion that those suspensions were very significant in how Florida ended up with a losing record last year. And I also believe that they bear that weight on their shoulders.
If they were narcissistic enough to steal as they did, they are too narcissistic to blame themselves for things that happen to others. Their team mates might blame them, but I seriously doubt that they have given this a single thought. Again, I have no problem with them getting a second chance, but they are thieves. Not were thieves - are thieves.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If they were narcissistic enough to steal as they did, they are too narcissistic to blame themselves for things that happen to others. Their team mates might blame them, but I seriously doubt that they have given this a single thought. Again, I have no problem with them getting a second chance, but they are thieves. Not were thieves - are thieves.
Not sure we can really make that kind of judgement without knowing them. And I don't think we need to label them as thieves. Are they just thieves for life now because of committing a crime once? I'm worried about getting to political here so I'll leave it at that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sure we can really make that kind of judgement without knowing them. And I don't think we need to label them as thieves. Are they just thieves for life now because of committing a crime once? I'm worried about getting to political here so I'll leave it at that.
I am not labeling them. They stole. That makes them thieves. They may also be many other things.

(FWIW, stealing is a pet peeve of mine. Age only mitigates their understanding of the consequences, not the act. They knew that they were wrong when they did this as well as an 80 year old man would.)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I am not labeling them. They stole. That makes them thieves. They may also be many other things.
But they stole, past tense, which means they were thieves. Since your bent on getting it straight, without knowing they are still stealing, then we can safely assume they were thieves...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But they stole, past tense, which means they were thieves. Since your bent on getting it straight, without knowing they are still stealing, then we can safely assume they were thieves...
Agreed, but when does one stop being something like this? Is a bank robber always a bank robber? I mean, in prison they can't rob banks anymore, but are they still bank robbers or were they bank robbers such that using that "label" now is no longer appropriate?

Stealing like this takes forethought and malice. This wasn't a simple crime of opportunity - it took planning. The fact that it was not a violent crime doesn't make it better, in my eyes. People were damaged. Lives were impacted. And they got caught, which forced them to stop. But based on what I read, they continued the behavior until they were caught.

I am fine if you guys want to believe that they are no longer thieves. I simply disagree.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Agreed, but when does one stop being something like this? Is a bank robber always a bank robber? I mean, in prison they can't rob banks anymore, but are they still bank robbers or were they bank robbers such that using that "label" now is no longer appropriate?

Stealing like this takes forethought and malice. This wasn't a simple crime of opportunity - it took planning. The fact that it was not a violent crime doesn't make it better, in my eyes. People were damaged. Lives were impacted. And they got caught, which forced them to stop. But based on what I read, they continued the behavior until they were caught.

I am fine if you guys want to believe that they are no longer thieves. I simply disagree.
For me its not if they are thieves or not. I'm not all that interested in that debate. My thing is does calling them thieves accomplish something useful? I don't feel that it does. I'm also not defending what they did. It was wrong and definitely not a victimless crime.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It can also be too abstract for young adults to realize that you are hurting someone. That isn't always the easiest thing to really grasp. You may know it logically but that's not really the same thing. Sometimes you don't really understand the impact you have on other people until you are confronted with it.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For me its not if they are thieves or not. I'm not all that interested in that debate. My thing is does calling them thieves accomplish something useful? I don't feel that it does. I'm also not defending what they did. It was wrong and definitely not a victimless crime.
Since when is it somehow wrong to call people out for this kind of stuff? We can't "label" anyone anymore because "it doesn't help anyone". They stole. They earned this moniker. When they do well at something we are happy to lavish labels on people, like calling them things like "champions". But when someone breaks the law or hurts someone else, we are "labeling" them and somehow at fault for doing so? This isn't name calling - it is identification.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
It can also be too abstract for young adults to realize that you are hurting someone. That isn't always the easiest thing to really grasp. You may know it logically but that's not really the same thing. Sometimes you don't really understand the impact you have on other people until you are confronted with it.
I wonder how abstract it is for the young adults in the military that are getting their arms ,legs, and entire bodies blown up or off. Do you also wonder if they don't realize they are being hurt? Maybe with their undeveloped prefrontal cortex, no one should be allowed to be maimed and killed in service for their country until they are 35 years old or older.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I wonder how abstract it is for the young adults in the military that are getting their arms ,legs, and entire bodies blown up or off. Do you also wonder if they don't realize they are being hurt? Maybe with their undeveloped prefrontal cortex, no one should be allowed to be maimed and killed in service for their country until they are 35 years old or older.
Alright, on that note I'm going to let this conversation go since this is the sports board.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To say nothing of getting married. Ducks for cover.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
No flames - honest question. Charles Manson recently passed away. When he was alive, did you think of him as a convicted "Murderer", or "Past Murderer"? I mean, he hadn't killed anyone since the Tate-LaBianca murders in 1969, right?

Again, no flames - just curious what your thoughts are?

It is very hard to take your post seriously with all of those insults for names. . . . .
This is.... something.
It’s effect on me is equivalent to ‘Natty’....
Hey, I respect y'alls opinions. And IF my goal in posting on this board was to gain acceptance, seek approval, or "score points" with other posters, then this would be SUPER Useful information to have. So I appreciate y'all sharing.
Seriously.

I post here to have fun, not to try to win a contest as best adherent to the Marquess of Queensberry Rules. ;)

(John Douglas, Marquess of Queensberry, in case anyone was wondering.....)

Miami Richt will be black-hat Richt. He should grow a goatee or something, die his hair black.
Well, he's half way there! :) (and FWIW I agree - I think he's already making that clear.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.