Four Suspended Players Allowed to Rejoin Gators

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If they were narcissistic enough to steal as they did, they are too narcissistic to blame themselves for things that happen to others. Their team mates might blame them, but I seriously doubt that they have given this a single thought. Again, I have no problem with them getting a second chance, but they are thieves. Not were thieves - are thieves.

And that is your opinion.

These kids were recruited to play football at one of the best universities in the country with a highly respected sports program. And then screwed up royally....got arrested...sat out an entire season....thus losing one year of eligibility to play.....and you are saying they didn't give it a single thought of regret?

Not a single one?

Really?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And that is your opinion.

These kids were recruited to play football at one of the best universities in the country with a highly respected sports program. And then screwed up royally....got arrested...sat out an entire season....thus losing one year of eligibility to play.....and you are saying they didn't give it a single thought of regret?

Not a single one?

Really?
Not what I said at all. I said that they did not regret that their actions hurt the football team. They only regret that they got caught and in so doing hurt themselves, IMO.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Not what I said at all. I said that they did not regret that their actions hurt the football team. They only regret that they got caught and in so doing hurt themselves, IMO.

Duly noted.

I still disagree 100%.

Neither of us can truly know for sure without more information but still feel you are making a mighty tall assumption there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Duly noted.

I still disagree 100%.

Neither of us can truly know for sure without more information but still feel you are making a mighty tall assumption there.
Agreed, but one based on science.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
And UGA was consistently the dirtiest, most penalized team in the SEC nearly every year under Richt. Careful about putting him on too high a pedestal. It's easy to boot someone when your system lacks discipline - it's impossible to play with discipline when your system lacks discipline.
Do you have any facts to support that claim? I'd like to see a link backing that up. I'll stand corrected if you're right.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You know we seem to have this discussion every offseason whether it is other team's players or ours. There is always the camp that says "they are only kids and deserve another chance" and the camp that says "they are thugs and deserve to be booted from the team and the school". Did it occur to anyone that most of these kids are black from single parent households and from an environment most of us are not capable of understanding.

Ten years ago I would have said, let them go and to hell with them, their decision their consequences. I now better understand that these kids, and they are kids physically and emotionally, have little or no support from the school, the coaches, their family and fall victim to their peers and enablers. Will disciplining them and allowing them back on the team make them a success in life and become model citizens, no one knows for sure, but if they are cast aside like the the stuff in the big green dumpster outside a fast food restaurant you can bet the odds are against them succeeding in life.

I will stop now rather than risk having this sent to the NS board.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Bamabuzzard - I get it, but we have to realize we're not dealing with fully developed adults here, just because they hit some arbitrary age (18) doesn't mean they're beyond making decisions that make no logical sense, as it's been scientifically proven that the prefrontal cortex doesn't fully develop until around age 25.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708

IOW, I'll cut them some slack - they're not much more mature than some random 16 year old.
Yep this has been proven beyond a doubt. Kids will make mistake and scientifically men are kids till they are 25.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
You know we seem to have this discussion every offseason whether it is other team's players or ours. There is always the camp that says "they are only kids and deserve another chance" and the camp that says "they are thugs and deserve to be booted from the team and the school". Did it occur to anyone that most of these kids are black from single parent households and from an environment most of us are not capable of understanding.
Ten years ago I would have said, let them go and to hell with them, their decision their consequences. I now better understand that these kids, and they are kids physically and emotionally, have little or no support from the school, the coaches, their family and fall victim to their peers and enablers. Will disciplining them and allowing them back on the team make them a success in life and become model citizens, no one knows for sure, but if they are cast aside like the the stuff in the big green dumpster outside a fast food restaurant you can bet the odds are against them succeeding in life.
I will stop now rather than risk having this sent to the NS board.
Bobby Bowden took a lot of heat with these types of problems during the height of his career. He said basically what you have written. Institutions of all types mirror societal issues when they open their doors. The best of them persevere and attempt to produce responsible citizens and adults out the other end. Saban will be remembered for his wins but his greatest contribution may be the quality of the young men who held to a very high standard and are prepared for life whatever it brings.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Do you have any facts to support that claim? I'd like to see a link backing that up. I'll stand corrected if you're right.

I think the "penalized" part has been clearly supported. As for "Dirtiest", well, perhaps it's in the eye of the beholder - but it was pretty clear in the NC game which team was talking trash at the outset, and it clearly worked as we saw a couple Alabama players appear to lose their composure later in the game, doubtless after a couple hours of dirty talk and dirty play by our opponents that night.

But it's not just us....

Just as an aside.....

(UGa OL goes for knees of UT DL)
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B79AY2kEYSImWWk4WjBpT0RBR2s/view[/video]

(UGa cheap shot on Mizzou QB)
https://www.redandblack.com/views/letter-to-the-editor-dirty-plays-may-have-cost-georgia/article_d9674ed4-373e-11e3-b447-001a4bcf6878.html

(UGa pokes at eyes)
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/12/georgias_sheldon_dawson_discip.html

(Warning - this is "outkick the coverage" for those who choose not to click on that site:) )
(UGa cheap shot on VANDY DB.... Yes, you heard that right - Vandy!!! )
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-play-that-led-to-georgia-vandy-confrontation-georgia-defensive-back-shawn-williams-cheap-shot-101911/

(Cheap Shots just the way UGa and UF play)
https://deadspin.com/5396882/cheap-shots-thats-just-the-way-georgia-and-florida-play-football

Here's what TideFans was saying back in 2015:
https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254570

And, of course . . . .

Just sayin.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.