A Restless Look at Players Who Might Leave/Come Back

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There's been a little bit of talk about it in some of the threads. Yesterday I saw a coach from the Huntsville area on Twitter talking about Petty's "handlers" recommending him to be a one and done. And what about Key leaving after this year?

So...what are your thoughts...about Sexton, Petty and Key leaving after this year?

My thoughts:

Sexton isn't ready for the league after one year. He's got the tools, but he hasn't learned how to use them at this level, much less the next. I think returning for another year would be huge for his growth as a player, point guard (passer) and scorer. I'm pretty sure he'll seek the NBA evaluation, but I hope his people recommend he returns.

Key is not anywhere close to being ready to go to the league either, IMO. I know he sought the evaluation last year and I know his injury set him back. But at this point after his return to the lineup, he ought to be showing something to make scouts think he could play in the NBA. I don't see it, right now. He needs to come back too.

Honestly, the talk about Petty possibly leaving surprised me. I'm really high on him as a potential big time scorer for us. He's a streaky shooter but part of his struggles right now is his poor shot selection. With a couple more years at the college level, I think he might could make a mark on the league if he continue's to improve. Those improvements needs to be shot selection, ball handling, strength (especially going to the hoop stronger) and developing a mid-range jumper. I know a little about his HS atmosphere (same as Trevor Lacey) and so I hope what I saw on Twitter is not a sign Petty will try to make a jump that he's not ready for IMO.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I live in Huntsville. I've heard rumors of that as well. I don't think Petty leaves, because his game is not quite there for him to compete at high level. He needs to come back next year. Come back and he will be a top 15 pick. This year, he's not a top 15 or top 30 pick. I think he will allow Petty and Sexton to explore NBA draft process before deciding to whether to come back. I really think Petty is listening to wrong people right now... but his performance last night is what I've been stressing for months that he's not consistent on the floor every night. It's his mind set. He's two and done...

Sexton.. I don't know if his stock has dropped in recent weeks... but all he has to do is put together solid performance and he's top 15 pick. SO I don't see him coming back.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Sexton's game may be more suited for the NBA with its faster pace and more skilled players to dish the ball to and to keep defenders honest so that he is not double and triple teamed as often. I could be off on this since I don't watch much NBA.

Key needs a solid off-season of strength and conditioning and at least one more season at Bama to demonstrate what he can do. I was frustrated that Hale never made it over the hump after the injuries and attitude and have my worries about Key going the same route. I think Coach Johnson will have to work on him...

I can't imagine that Petty is considered one of the top players if he was to come out after this season. He has shown flashes of something more than a streaky shooter.

Every time I flip on an NCAA basketball game, I see players that are strong and fast with basketball skills at almost every school. These are usually older players who's bodies have matured a little more physically.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think Sexton is gone regardless, but he really should stay another year. Petty is no where near ready, but the NBA always needs shooters. You never know. Key is not close to ready either. All 3 need time to develop their games at least at this point. I know when guys have handlers, they tend to leave because they have had their heads filled with the notion that they are sure fire 1st rounders. The handlers really don't care, they just want to get a piece of whatever his pro money, whether that is the NBA or Europe. look only as far as another Huntsville native Trevor Lacey to see how this usually works out.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Sexton is gone regardless, but he really should stay another year. Petty is no where near ready, but the NBA always needs shooters. You never know. Key is not close to ready either. All 3 need time to develop there games at least at this point. I know when guys have handlers, they tend to leave because they have had their heads filled with the notion that they are sure fire 1st rounders. The handlers really don't care, they just want to get a piece of whatever his pro money, whether that is the NBA or Europe. look only as far as another Huntsville native Trevor Lacey to see how this usually works out.
That was my point in the OP about Lacey. I know they played at the same HS but I hope they are getting advice from different people.

You'd think Coach Johnson would be able to give some of the best advice in basketball, like CNS does in football. Avery played college ball at a high level, NBA ball at a high level and he's also coached at a high level in the NBA.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Sexton and Petty are so physically gifted that it appears no one has ever taught them how to play sound fundamental basketball. In high school they could just dominate because of their physical skills and they didn't have to know how to play team basketball. As a result, in college they are having some problems because the level of competition is much better.

I really haven't watched the NBA in years, but my impression is that it is more of a one on one game than a team sport. If so, maybe they would do ok in the NBA.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i'd say we have 2 guys who would be drafted if they came out. Sexton and Petty. I think Sexton is a top 15 pick at worst and top 7-10 at best. Odds of him staying are 0..Like stated above, he's probably better in an uptempo environment and the 24 second shot clock. he'll be a very good NBA player. great players dont always turn a college team into a contender. See Ben Simmons at LSU last season. Markelle Fultz as well last year with Washington. Petty would imo go round 2 and get the G league treatment. Maybe being an Alonzo Gee type player who eventually sticks with a team and gives them 6 ppg off the bench. Petty needs to stay and work on his ball handling and develop a mid range game. you cant be 6ft5 in the NBA and not be able to handle the ball better.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That was my point in the OP about Lacey. I know they played at the same HS but I hope they are getting advice from different people.

You'd think Coach Johnson would be able to give some of the best advice in basketball, like CNS does in football. Avery played college ball at a high level, NBA ball at a high level and he's also coached at a high level in the NBA.
Trevor went to Butler. Petty went to Jemison. Both were coached by the same coach, Jack Doss. I can tell you stories about Trevor and all.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I honestly hopes everyone comes back, Sexton included. I see the thought process for him leaving though since he's considered a lottery pick. I'm hoping the right people are in Petty's ear to tell him to hold off one more year. With the right dedication and growth, he could play his way to a lottery pick next year.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Sexton AND Petty should stay, but who knows at this point. Neither will be ready for the NBA, and as always with big time recruits from Huntsville, "others" always seem to be involved. This smells like the Trevor Lacey saga...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I can see that argument, he has improved tremendously and is playing some solid ball this season.

Ahhh, No. He has hit maybe 1 or 2 shots that weren't layups. His shooting percentage is so high because he does a good job of getting position on the low blocks and has been the beneficiary of a bunch of alley oops. He has not done as good a job on the defensive end rebounding as he could. Not that he is horrible, but he has trouble getting block outs because of his size. Our most reliable rebounder quite frankly is Ingram. Hall does a good job on both ends. But Hall may be a pro after another year if he shows some range. The NBA expects guys to shoot 3's and Donta hasn't shown the ability to anything over about 3 feet consistently.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Ahhh, No. He has hit maybe 1 or 2 shots that weren't layups. His shooting percentage is so high because he does a good job of getting position on the low blocks and has been the beneficiary of a bunch of alley oops. He has not done as good a job on the defensive end rebounding as he could. Not that he is horrible, but he has trouble getting block outs because of his size. Our most reliable rebounder quite frankly is Ingram. Hall does a good job on both ends. But Hall may be a pro after another year if he shows some range. The NBA expects guys to shoot 3's and Donta hasn't shown the ability to anything over about 3 feet consistently.
Hall can certainly improve his shooting, but right now there are several mock drafts and nba analysis that have him as a potential second round pick. Obviously Sexton is the most probable to get drafted but Hall is the only other that has garnered nba attention. He's actually received good feedback online from nba scouts as far as his ability at the next level.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Laura Rutledge says the NBA scouts told her Sexton is in one of the top PGs in the draft with Trae Young. He's not coming back, and the NBA loves him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.