Elisha Shaw - how Nick Saban showed his real character...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One of the parents posted this on the UA Parent Group on Facebook, thought I'd share it here:

Patience please. I had a son graduate 2 years ago from UA. His younger brother is now a freshman at UA. Weird thing is that we lived in Michigan and had zero affiliation with UA before my 1st son came here. My wife and I both retired from our jobs in Michigan and moved to Tuscaloosa for at least this year, and maybe longer. Bought season tickets to football games and couldn't be happier here.

However, today I picked up a young man (I'm an Uber driver now to keep busy) whose name was Elisha Shaw. What a class act this kid was to talk to along with with his maturity. If I was an employer, this kid would on the top of my list to hire. In high school, he was the number 1 recruit coming out of Georgia, and the number 2 DT in the nation. Before his senior year in HS, he suffered a career ending neck injury, but Nick Saban honored his scholarship anyway. Elisha couldn't have been any more thankful to Coach Saban for that, plus Saban's guidance and encouragement upon arriving. We all know what a great "coach" we have, but this just reinforces the kind of "person" he is as well. Love Tuscaloosa and UA. Roll Tide!!

Attachments

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Some background:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2114356-dont-write-off-injured-alabama-dl-elisha-shaw-just-yet

Shaw recognizes that playing again after such a devastating injury is a long shot, and even if it doesn't work out for him on the field, he still intends to pursue a career roaming the sidelines."I want to know my options," he said. "If the doctors tell me that they really think I shouldn't play, I'm going to continue to train with the team and push toward coaching."He has options because Alabama believed in him, and that's not something that he takes for granted."They could have just thrown me away and moved on to the next," he said. "They stuck by their word."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Remember his story. Hate he never got to play but glad Saban honored the scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I remember this one, also. I was so proud that Coach Saban still honored the scholarship. Great to get an update on him and her hear how well he is doing.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I knew I recognized the name but couldn't place it until I read the story. But this would go against what everyone else says about Saban "processing" kids who don't contribute!:rolleyes:

Great story and sounds like a great young man! Hope he really grabs this 2nd chance and makes himself successful. Nothing better than that!:biga2:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I knew I recognized the name but couldn't place it until I read the story. But this would go against what everyone else says about Saban "processing" kids who don't contribute!:rolleyes:

Great story and sounds like a great young man! Hope he really grabs this 2nd chance and makes himself successful. Nothing better than that!:biga2:
It will be completely ignored by the Alabama haters in college football. You will not hear one peep. To them Saban is a win at all costs coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.