This is the XFL, again: Controversial football league set to return in 2020

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So everybody makes the playoffs?
Last year there were 5 teams - 4 made the playoffs. With Cleveland out this year, yeah, I guess that all of them will make the playoffs, so no blue font required. :biggrin:

BTW, last year 2 of the teams in the playoffs were really bad, with 5-9 & 4-10 records. They both lost in the first round, but it would have been hysterical if one of them had won the whole thing.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The Arena League worked because it was not really football in the pure sense. They had a short field and the netting.

The XFL was actual football with a few minor rule tweaks. So it was going to be compared to the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Call me skeptical on the whole idea of another XFL, but I'll give it a legitimate shot when it comes out to see what's it all about

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LOL - but at least the Giants had a winning record that year.
I think the worst teams I’ve ever seen win a SB were either the 2012 Ravens or the 2015 Broncos. Yeah the Broncos had a legitimate defense but watch Peyton that year was extremely painful. The Broncos had nearly as much luck as Auburn does on a consistent basis that year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the worst teams I’ve ever seen win a SB were either the 2012 Ravens or the 2015 Broncos. Yeah the Broncos had a legitimate defense but watch Peyton that year was extremely painful. The Broncos had nearly as much luck as Auburn does on a consistent basis that year.
Peyton Manning was statistically the worst NFL QB that year. But that defense was crazy good.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/xfl-player-quits-league-salary-dispute

I find this story very relevant to a few different discussions we've had here.

A: It shows the XFL is probably going to be more fiscally responsible than the AAFL which hemorrhaged money.
B: It shows that professional football players are not automatically worth as much as some people think.

I've posted numbers quite a few times, but Arena league, CFL guys, they don't make that much. It's just not financially viable to pay them much and that's one reason the AAFL was a lost cause. This is also relevant to the college football discussion, because player compensation is a touchy subject in college sports. The thing is, I welcome the XFL trying to sign players out of high school (they've said there is no actual prohibition against that) who would rather get a 27K base pay in the XFL than what college offers, but I really question if that's a wise career choice...
Edit: I suppose I should add that while I have no problem with high school players going pro, there are very, very few that would have any chance of playing in the XFL considering the fact that the talent level will be significantly higher than college.

Anyway, here's the most relevant part:
"The salary schedule did not come close to matching what was talked about rampantly throughout the XFL combine workouts and was discussed online by many different sources,” Logan Brown Sports said in a statement posted to Twitter. “The base salary is $27,040 with per-game active bonuses of $1,685 and weekly win bonuses of $2,222."

Last edited:

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
" Agents were told earlier this month that the average player salary would range around $55,000, including active bonuses and weekly win bonuses. The $27,040 salary is clearly a far cry from that number. "

The season is 10 games with weekly active bonus and a win bonus...so average team (5-5) would get exactly $55k...math adds up unless I’m missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Base = $27k
Start 10 games = $16k

sub-total = $43k

bonus per win = $2.2k x 5 wins = $22k

Average income for starter on a 5-5 team = $55k

Vareen should fire his agent because he is not capable of performing basic math.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, first off while the 55K number is far more sustainable, it's hardly something to get excited about. Remember this is taxable income, so they have to pay taxes, they have to pay their food and rent like most people, and if they get hurt or struggle? They're going to fall well short of 55K.

Contrast that to the poor downtrodden college players, and they get not just a full ride scholarship and a stipend guaranteed, but they don't have to worry about rent, don't have to worry about food, it's technically a four year scholarship and they don't even have to play to earn it! So, to be honest I'm a bit perplexed that people can look at 27K base pay or I guess we can say guaranteed? Not sure how guaranteed even that is, and go yeah that's fine for something between college and NFL level professional compensation, but then at the same time be like man but those poor college players, they're really taking advantage of them.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, first off while the 55K number is far more sustainable, it's hardly something to get excited about. Remember this is taxable income, so they have to pay taxes, they have to pay their food and rent like most people, and if they get hurt or struggle? They're going to fall well short of 55K.
The point is that the players were told the truth, and that article makes it seem otherwise. They provide the requisite facts to disprove their premise within the article itself. In short, the player, his agent, and the author of that article are all idiots.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The point is that the players were told the truth, and that article makes it seem otherwise. They provide the requisite facts to disprove their premise within the article itself. In short, the player, his agent, and the author of that article are all idiots.
There's a world of difference between 27K base pay and 55K including performance bonuses and just a 55K contract. This is especially valid when it comes to football where injuries are fairly common. You get hurt and you're not going to get anywhere close to that 55K number and that is an issue. This is what these guys are doing for a living, so entering into a situation that might pay you 55K vs. a situation that will pay you 55K is a huge difference.

I'm not even complaining about the compensation though, it makes sense. But, I do understand why someone playing at that level would want a bigger guarantee than 27K.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There's a world of difference between 27K base pay and 55K including performance bonuses and just a 55K contract..
That is what they were promised, $55k in compensation which includes roster and win bonuses. That is what they are getting, $55k in compensation. Not sure where you have read otherwise. Any player or agent who says that they were promised something else needs to show us where they were so promised. Everything that I have read for over a year has pointed to this compensation.

As for whether they should make more or not - depends on a P&L analysis. Can the league afford to pay them more? Remember, the original AFL went out of business because the players formed a union and demanded more pay than the league revenues would support.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That is what they were promised, $55k in compensation which includes roster and win bonuses. That is what they are getting, $55k in compensation. Not sure where you have read otherwise.
You and I both posted the numbers, we know what they come out to. If someone plays in every single game they are going to make about 55K.

That part is true. However, this promise is not true:
"Agents were told earlier this month that the average player salary would range around $55,000"

The reason it's not true is obvious. Your breakdown assumes a player plays in every game. The average player will not play in 100% of the games, hence the average salary can't possibly be 55K. For example, NFL players play in less than 90% of the games. So, there's no way based on those numbers players on average make 55K.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You and I both posted the numbers, we know what they come out to. If someone plays in every single game they are going to make about 55K.

That part is true. However, this promise is not true:
"Agents were told earlier this month that the average player salary would range around $55,000"

The reason it's not true is obvious. Your breakdown assumes a player plays in every game. The average player will not play in 100% of the games, hence the average salary can't possibly be 55K. For example, NFL players play in less than 90% of the games. So, there's no way based on those numbers players on average make 55K.
This is how every professional league salary structure works outside of the major sports leagues. Every one. You get a middling guaranteed salary, then the rest is about game and win bonuses. Clearly some people simply had no idea what they were talking about, but the discussion was that the $55k was inclusive of game and win bonuses.

If a team wins more, they make more. A player on a team that wins all of their games would make $67k, then additional pay for any playoffs.

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN

Contrast that to the poor downtrodden college players, and they get not just a full ride scholarship and a stipend guaranteed, but they don't have to worry about rent, don't have to worry about food, it's technically a four year scholarship and they don't even have to play to earn it! So, to be honest I'm a bit perplexed that people can look at 27K base pay or I guess we can say guaranteed? Not sure how guaranteed even that is, and go yeah that's fine for something between college and NFL level professional compensation, but then at the same time be like man but those poor college players, they're really taking advantage of them.
So its confirmed.....its officially MINOR LEAGUE Football (aka semi-pro for us old timers). Guys just hoping they develop enough to get picked up in the NFL somewhere, at minimum, on the practice squad to make decent take-home money, or get a call to action on the regular roster. If anyone thought this was going to be another USFL with hopes of competing or getting swallowed up by the NFL, they were sorely misguided.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
If a team wins more, they make more. A player on a team that wins all of their games would make $67k, then additional pay for any playoffs.
Do you have any interest in this league B1G?

Even though the AAF played some pretty marginal football at best, I enjoyed watching football in February and on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.