This is the XFL, again: Controversial football league set to return in 2020

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
A $100 million investment (as reported) won't last long (maybe one season, but not much more) in an 8-team, 40-man roster model. The question is whether or not any significant media/distribution rights can be generated. I know if I had $100 million to invest, second-tier professional football would not be where I would put it, but I wish him luck.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Give me baseball (the sport of choice for me when I was younger) over bad football. I know that sounds sacrilege but...
I will watch XFL if it is watchable but given the amount of defunct Football Leagues, I highly doubt XFL 2.0 will break the mold. I much rather have seen Vince invest in the AFL. Now that was some fun football.
Old man told me the AFL was fun but as I recall it they merged with the NFL in 1970.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
The only way I see this having any potential for working is if they allow players to join the league directly from HS. Granted, most HS players, even the best, aren't ready to compete with 24 - 30 year old men who have been cut from NFL rosters, but it will be interesting to see if they allow that. I hope not, but it could be tempting for a HS player to go play and get paid for a couple of years before going to the NFL.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I bet they don't kneel for the Anthem. McMahon knows what sells and he sees the NFL struggles in regards to viewership, not that the Anthem kneeling is the sole cause of the dropping numbers. It will be interesting to see what he does differently this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't watched a single play of NFL football all season because of their protesting.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Vince could actually succeed. From what I’ve heard from people who know him is that the xfl has burned him for a long time and he is willing to go slow this time if he was to do it again. I think the fact that teams were only together for 30 days at the time of kickoff really hurt.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Does he honestly have the money to fund this and if it goes badly still be able to be rich?
LOL! Reminds me of the story of H. L. Hunt, said at the time to be the World's richest man, when a reporter told him his youngest son, Lamar, was losing a million dollars a year with his AFL team. The old man growled, "At that rate, he will be broke in a hundred years."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Does he honestly have the money to fund this and if it goes badly still be able to be rich?
Yes. Vince is a billionaire with a B. You have to think this league will be for those long shots or wash outs trying to make an impression so they will take cheap pay to get a chance. I’m not sure if 100 million will do it but I’m sure his family and friends and sponsors will chip in and make it work. His biggest obstacle is securing tv. Sure Sci Fi and USA would follow Vince loyally but what he really needs is a Disney channel (ESPN and ABC) or some national channel like NBC or Fox(I think NBC is a long shot after what happened last time)

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
To me, the game of football can sell itself, the thing that bothered me about the XFL last time was all the gimmicks and wrestling tie ins.
Theres room to try some new ideas without doing stupid stuff.

Last time XFL players made around 40-50 grand a season and got bonuses for winning, he needs to beef that up if he wants to get some ex-NFL washouts like Tebow, Manziel or Richardson.

I think it could work if he comes up with the right formula, nobody has yet done that though....but the NFL.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I think he means the Arena Football League.
I was. Sorry about the confusion.

Wackiest idea (not my idea i mind you but would not hate it either) for the league I've heard was, in talking of pace of plays, the TD's would be awarded different amount of value. For instance if a drive last 3 minutes or fewer (2 minute offense, essentially) scoring team gets 8 points before the XP. If the drive goes 3:01 to 6 minutes, the TD is worth 7 points before the XP. If the drive last more than 6 minutes, then the TD is awarded 6 points. Just to see how this would work, the chaos...
Basically, try new stuff that is different then the NFL but not "off-the-reservation" crazy, a 40 yrds dash to see instead of a coin flip, etc.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think Vince could actually succeed. From what I’ve heard from people who know him is that the xfl has burned him for a long time and he is willing to go slow this time if he was to do it again. I think the fact that teams were only together for 30 days at the time of kickoff really hurt.
They made a lot of massive mistakes, this being one of the worst. The first weeks games were epically bad. The following weeks the games got much much better but nobody was watching by then. the Birmingham team was a sacraficial lamb, they gave them Jerry Dinardo as a coach with predictable results.

I'm sure it's a long shot but I see the NFL as more vulnerable now than they have been in my lifetime. If ever they NEEDED competition it is now. Talent for the most part is plentyful but the shortage of quality Quarterbacking is going to be an issue. Perhaps they can lean more toward the college game and make use of the hundreds of run/pass/option QB's coming out of college every year that have zero chance in the NFL.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i wonder what they mean by family friendly game
Just a guess, but I'm thinking it's a couple of things: shorter games (easier for kids to handle a two hour game than a 3+ hour game) and less of the 'sex sells' attitude they had regarding cheerleaders last time.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
i went to an arena league football game once. it was in san angelo tx. relative to the other options for entertainment, arena league football and the lowest tier of minor league baseball were quite enjoyable ;)
I agree. I’ve gone to a few Barons games since they opened the stadium downtown and really like the experience. My favorite minor league event is hockey in Huntsville. Lots of fights, relatively cheap concessions and cheap tickets.

I wish the Arena Football league made it. Never went to a Birmingham Steeldogs game but those who did said it was a great event to go to. I think they were in the “D2” of arena football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.