This is the XFL, again: Controversial football league set to return in 2020

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Just a guess, but I'm thinking it's a couple of things: shorter games (easier for kids to handle a two hour game than a 3+ hour game) and less of the 'sex sells' attitude they had regarding cheerleaders last time.
a shorter game would be nice, that is one of the appeals of mls (at least to me). i don't think mcmahon is capable of presenting anything without the sex sells angle.

i am not sure how he is expecting to actually make any money off of this.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was. Sorry about the confusion.

Wackiest idea (not my idea i mind you but would not hate it either) for the league I've heard was, in talking of pace of plays, the TD's would be awarded different amount of value. For instance if a drive last 3 minutes or fewer (2 minute offense, essentially) scoring team gets 8 points before the XP. If the drive goes 3:01 to 6 minutes, the TD is worth 7 points before the XP. If the drive last more than 6 minutes, then the TD is awarded 6 points. Just to see how this would work, the chaos,

Basically, try new stuff that is different then the NFL but not "off-the-reservation" crazy, a 40 yrds dash to see instead of a coin flip, etc.
I always thought a 50+ FG should be worth more points.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Just a FYI I heard this morning that the CBA for the NFL ends in 2020, so there could be a strike and people might be starved for some football and the XFL might be the only option for pro football.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think the XFL should do all the stuff the NFL never would. 1. Make 2 point conversions mandatory. You could probably be even more creative here and add a 3 or 4 point attempt somehow. 2. Better OT rules and no ties. 3. Get rid of some of the formation rules to allow more creativity on O. 4. And for real fun, no punting. Teams have to go for it

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They made a lot of massive mistakes, this being one of the worst. The first weeks games were epically bad. The following weeks the games got much much better but nobody was watching by then. the Birmingham team was a sacraficial lamb, they gave them Jerry Dinardo as a coach with predictable results.

I'm sure it's a long shot but I see the NFL as more vulnerable now than they have been in my lifetime. If ever they NEEDED competition it is now. Talent for the most part is plentyful but the shortage of quality Quarterbacking is going to be an issue. Perhaps they can lean more toward the college game and make use of the hundreds of run/pass/option QB's coming out of college every year that have zero chance in the NFL.
Vince really needs to listen to his own words and take it slow but don’t make it a direct competition to the NFL.

I think many folks who are turned off about the NFL will like it if it’s not an extension of wrestling, and for all that is holy keep Jesse Ventura away from it this time.

But I think it can be success given the right direction and with good cities.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
a shorter game would be nice, that is one of the appeals of mls (at least to me). i don't think mcmahon is capable of presenting anything without the sex sells angle.

Meh. I think the WWE during the John Cena era showed that he has kinda made that grandpa turn to “ I want my grandkids to be able to watch this”. I think there will be some risqué moments, but I doubt he goes the forced relationships with players or the exotic dancers pool party with fans in the end zone routes that he did the first time.

For the money route I think he desperately needs a big national network like ESPN, NBC, ABC, or TBS to turn a serious profit. USA and Sci Fi Channel are not big enough to carry him like they are in wrestling. It also has to do with the cities that are chosen. If he chooses the Birmingham’s of the world over the San Antonio’s then it’s already doomed to fail. Also the days of the week are important. I think Friday and Saturday are his best bets for that time of the year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He made it clear that they're hiring people to make this happen - he said multiple times in the PC that this would likely be one of the few times you would even see him. He's a smart dude and I suspect he and others have analyzed and learned a lot from the previous go.

Nor am I - but I know for a fact there are others like me who want to see more football. It certainly sounds like this XFL will look very different from the last one, which was more sizzle than steak.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I always thought a 50+ FG should be worth more points.
That's what I am suggesting. Anything with the name Vince McMahon on it will always being considered a niche. So play with that. Vince won't be bogged down arguing with traditionalists, so try new stuff and again don't go off the reservation with ideas.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
This kind of league could probably work, but the founders are usually too cute by half and forget that fans of football want to see football. They try to spice up a game that is already just fine as it is with silly gimmicks and sideshows that they think are cool. It's a little like putting ketchup on Jello. Just put together a league with teams in cities with avid football fans who have no other real outlet during the spring, and play the damn game by the same rules. It's fine to tweak the rules by using incentives to run 2-point conversions or changing the overtime rules, but the majority of it makes the game the equivalent of goony golf. Do something truly innovative like make a FG over 55 yards worth 4 points, or change some of the penalties that are only selectively called anyway, like the linemen downfield on a pass play.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Sorry if anyone has already addressed this.....but what if this thing eventually turned out to be a true minor league type system for the NFL. And yes I know the college game right now is like the defacto minor league for the NFL.......but what if this became legit, bonafide minors. My take on it is so many guys leave the college game (too many juniors for sure in addition to the graduating seniors) who don’t make a 53 man NFL roster.....perhaps this could be an ongoing developmental type league for those guys to make $80-100k (or whatever salary structure the market can support) per year and work on their game and see if they can get ‘called up’ to the NFL. Sounds kinda crazy but thinking outside the box on the XFL. I know I’d support it if it was in BHM.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Sorry if anyone has already addressed this.....but what if this thing eventually turned out to be a true minor league type system for the NFL. And yes I know the college game right now is like the defacto minor league for the NFL.......but what if this became legit, bonafide minors. My take on it is so many guys leave the college game (too many juniors for sure in addition to the graduating seniors) who don’t make a 53 man NFL roster.....perhaps this could be an ongoing developmental type league for those guys to make $80-100k (or whatever salary structure the market can support) per year and work on their game and see if they can get ‘called up’ to the NFL. Sounds kinda crazy but thinking outside the box on the XFL. I know I’d support it if it was in BHM.
If that is the way the league was structured, it would probably succeed, instead of trying to compete with the NFL or angling for a redux of the old AFL merger almost 50 years ago. IF it concentrated on providing a landing spot for the next tier of players who can't make a 53-man squad, and don't want to settle for a practice squad or go to Canada, they could field an entertaining, competitive product. If the league decides to go the WFL or USFL route and try to entice top-tier college players and poach stars off of NFL teams to build attendance, it will be short-lived. The NFL could actually benefit from the new league if it operated in cooperation and not competition. If they try to compete, the NFL will just squash it.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
If that is the way the league was structured, it would probably succeed, instead of trying to compete with the NFL or angling for a redux of the old AFL merger almost 50 years ago. IF it concentrated on providing a landing spot for the next tier of players who can't make a 53-man squad, and don't want to settle for a practice squad or go to Canada, they could field an entertaining, competitive product. If the league decides to go the WFL or USFL route and try to entice top-tier college players and poach stars off of NFL teams to build attendance, it will be short-lived. The NFL could actually benefit from the new league if it operated in cooperation and not competition. If they try to compete, the NFL will just squash it.
It'll be a "farm" team so to speak, IMO, but like you say by taking guys cut from 53 roster it S/B an entertaining product especially in the off season format. I think that's another reason for a delayed start. He's got money, but I think he's wanting to prove it's a successful product, to attract investors. If not, another flop IMO. I hope succeeds it would be a breath of fresh air for the off season!

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
The pitfalls of these kind of "secondary" leagues is that they either go broke overpaying/overbidding for players in an effort to present a quality/compelling product, foolishly try to go head-to-head with the established league and lose, or they don't have a good enough product to get adequate TV exposure/revenue. It is hard to hit the sweet spot.

But this could be the right time to give it a try. We really don't know where TV is headed in terms of cord cutting and distribution methods, but exposure is bound to get easier. There is political backlash and general fan boredom with the NFL (which may or may not subside in the next couple years). You've got a lot of 20-30k seat soccer stadiums around the country that you didn't have 10 years ago that are the right size and have enough revenue-generating bells and whistles for something like this.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the XFL will probably be structured around the Arena and CFL concept in that it gives players that either washed out or didn’t recieve a call from the NFL to play football. I think one of Vince’s biggest mistakes the first time was selling it as a direct competitor against the NFL. I don’t he can do that or sell it as an NFL Europe idea either. He needs to continue to sell it like he has started to and it be the true sports fans league that doesn’t allow politics or over paid players to dominate it. Basically he is selling this to the college football fanatics and those turned off by the Goodell NFL.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
If the XFL will stick to the spring, I think it can work out. How many college and NFL football fans would watch the XFL in the spring? I would just because there's no other football during the spring. Last time they tried to compete with the NFL and got crushed, but if they don't do that again it could work.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the XFL will probably be structured around the Arena and CFL concept in that it gives players that either washed out or didn’t recieve a call from the NFL to play football. I think one of Vince’s biggest mistakes the first time was selling it as a direct competitor against the NFL. I don’t he can do that or sell it as an NFL Europe idea either. He needs to continue to sell it like he has started to and it be the true sports fans league that doesn’t allow politics or over paid players to dominate it. Basically he is selling this to the college football fanatics and those turned off by the Goodell NFL.
Arena football was a fairly profitable league until the players decided that they needed to get paid more. The model, even with the TV $$$, didn't work with highly paid players. It collapsed under the weight of the new player contracts. Today there are only 4 teams in the league and they still get almost 10k attendees per game, so there is a market for other kinds of football. The struggle is making it profitable.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Arena football was a fairly profitable league until the players decided that they needed to get paid more. The model, even with the TV $$$, didn't work with highly paid players. It collapsed under the weight of the new player contracts. Today there are only 4 teams in the league and they still get almost 10k attendees per game, so there is a market for other kinds of football. The struggle is making it profitable.
So everybody makes the playoffs?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.