This is the XFL, again: Controversial football league set to return in 2020

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He has the $$$ to get this going, but I have not seen a business model that would actually have a chance at profitability. Today those models generally require a heavy investment by a media company, tied to a broadcasting contract. With sports contracts losing money, is this really going to happen? I know that I wouldn't invest in it.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Maybe by 2022 we'll have some new tricks for other football to use like the skycam over the field from the original XFL (yes it was used sporadically before that but XFL kinda showed that it could be more common).

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
If Vince McMahons likes throwing away money, I would be glad to take the $100 mill he is throwing away with this idea. I know he never got over the fact the XFL sucked, though a few of their ideas are still in use today in the NFL (skycam, etc), but come on now.

CA, you say you want more football, my response, I want more GOOD football. I think there is one thing this new league can guarantee is that it will be bad football. I rather see "Vinny Mac" invest in the AFL and get that league going again. I loved ARENA FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Maybe this time Vince will combine football with professional wrestling. Perhaps while a game is in progress, another team will run onto the field and it'll be 2 on 1 .... or 22 on 11. Let's go old school: loser leave town games, hair versus hair games, a vanquished foe returns in a mask, etc.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
CA, you say you want more football, my response, I want more GOOD football. I think there is one thing this new league can guarantee is that it will be bad football. I rather see "Vinny Mac" invest in the AFL and get that league going again. I loved ARENA FOOTBALL LEAGUE.
If the choice is bad football or MLB, NBA, etc. - I'll happily watch poorly coached peewee football...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
He has the $$$ to get this going, but I have not seen a business model that would actually have a chance at profitability. Today those models generally require a heavy investment by a media company, tied to a broadcasting contract. With sports contracts losing money, is this really going to happen? I know that I wouldn't invest in it.
I wouldn't be surprised if he had plans to stream it through the WWE Network and go with a tiered subscription system (one for football, one for wrasslin', in one for both). That way he controls the content and distribution entirely.

I don't think that will work (I agree with your sentiment above), but I would not be shocked if that's the route he took.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the choice is bad football or MLB, NBA, etc. - I'll happily watch poorly coached peewee football...
I agree - if it is out there and costs me nothing, I'll watch. But I won't pay for his other products, and I won't pay for this.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
To me , it was too different to enjoy. I never liked the run for the football instead of the coin toss . It's almost like too much effort went into making it too different. I thought it was like cfl mixed with arena football. But, if it's all that's on....I'll be guilty of watching it.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Don't doubt it but I guess I'll watch it until it goes bust. Yes, it's common denominator entertainment but for me it's a step above "pro" wrestling.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.