OU @ Bama

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
That called being young...and we are extremely young. Extremely talented and extremely young!

I love Herb Jones. I remember Sprewell, but don't think he's a good comparison to Jones:

1. Sprewell had an absolutely great shot. It got even better in the NBA, but he could stroke it. If Herb Jones shot the ball like Sprewell did at Bama, he'd be a lottery pick this year.

2. Herb Jones is more versatile than Sprewell IMO. Jones is taller than longer than Sprewell and he's a matchup nightmare. He can play point guard, which I'd like to see more of him doing at Bama, with the pick and roll game with Hall, but he also can guard a point guard with his longness and quickness OR he can guard a 3 guard/forward. The only thing his game is missing is a better outside shot and a little more strength in the upper body.

Guy he reminds me of little more is Robert Horry...with not as good of shooting touch but better athlete.
Remember that Spree was a JC transfer, so comparing freshman Jones to jr/sr Spree isn’t fair at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Sprewell was a JUCO so he was already a junior when he got to Bama.

I think Jones may have as good of an outside shot as anyone on the team but he just doesn't take it often enough. Coach mentioned the other day that Jones has gotten taller since he arrived and may still be growing.
Oops, I should have read all of the replies before replying

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
With the SEC's strong performance it can only help us. 6-4 my how times are changing in the SEC.
First time to win the challenge, and the kicker is the top ranked SEC team wasn’t even in it this year.

This conference is very good from top to bottom this year. Every team is in the KenPom top 100, and all but one (Vandy) are top 100 in the RPI. 8 (!) are in the top 50 of the RPI. As it stands, we have 6 going to the dance, including both of our schools.

Carolina is likely riding the bubble hard, and winning this benefits them and the conference tremendously if we hope to get 7 in.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Sprewell was a JUCO so he was already a junior when he got to Bama.

I think Jones may have as good of an outside shot as anyone on the team but he just doesn't take it often enough. Coach mentioned the other day that Jones has gotten taller since he arrived and may still be growing.
I also think Jones is more like Sprewell. They both had/have very fluid and athletic movement. They could both play multiple roles and defend very well. Horry was a bit stiff looking in his movement, almost like his knees didn't bend well. I'm sure Herb Jones would love to have an NBA career like either one of them, though.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Remember that Spree was a JC transfer, so comparing freshman Jones to jr/sr Spree isn’t fair at this point.

Yeah, I think junior year Sprewell is very much like Jones right now. If I remember correctly, and there is certainly no guarantee of that, Sprewell wasn't a great scorer his junior year. He did a lot of things to fill up a box score and help us win, but it seems like he added a bit more scoring punch his senior season. In the NBA he really turned into a scorer.
Edit- I was in school at Bama when Sprewell was there. I remember a Sunday afternoon showdown with LSU and Shaq. Coleman was rocking that day as we took down the Tigers. That is probably my best memory of attending a basketball game during my days at the Capstone. I saw a lot of good basketball during those days, but that was probably the best overall scene and experience. I also remember Rodney Rogers from Wake Forest snatching a defensive rebound and dribbling strongly down the court and throwing down a monster dunk that was the most memorable dunk during my days. Ah, good memories from an old guy.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Yeah, I think junior year Sprewell is very much like Jones right now. If I remember correctly, and there is certainly no guarantee of that, Sprewell wasn't a great scorer his junior year. He did a lot of things to fill up a box score and help us win, but it seems like he added a bit more scoring punch his senior season. In the NBA he really turned into a scorer.
Edit- I was in school at Bama when Sprewell was there. I remember a Sunday afternoon showdown with LSU and Shaq. Coleman was rocking that day as we took down the Tigers. That is probably my best memory of attending a basketball game during my days at the Capstone. I saw a lot of good basketball during those days, but that was probably the best overall scene and experience. I also remember Rodney Rogers from Wake Forest snatching a defensive rebound and dribbling strongly down the court and throwing down a monster dunk that was the most memorable dunk during my days. Ah, good memories from an old guy.
I think I was at that game too.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Keith Askins.

HJ is a little taller but has the same sensibilities, particularly on defense. Keith also developed a sneaky good offensive game, a path Herbert could surely follow.
I thought about Askins when I saw the recruiting information on Jones. Askins was 6-7 and could jump. He was a very good defensive player. I think Jones is a better ball handler and may have more skills away from the basket.

Bama had some serious talent with Horry, Cheatham and Benoit along with Askins. 3 NBA players along with Cheatham who was maybe the better college player but not quite a fit for NBA.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
And arguably (I hate to say this) without our best team playing in the Barn.
Would have loved to see Auburn at Fog Allen instead of aTm... would have been nice to gauge the SEC best vs the Big 12 best at this point in the season.

Also, hope that we get Kansas at home in one of these challenges. Would be the perfect reason to get out to a game there.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I hope we take this win and keep coming out with the mindset to play hard and as a team every time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.