35 years ago today, we lost a legend Coach Paul Bryant

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It's one of those days everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.
This is very true. I was caught totally off guard. I felt a deep sense of loss and was sincerely sad. After my father, my uncle, and my grandfathers, Coach Bryant was and is the man. I hope and feel Coach Saban is having the same influence on young men and women now.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
His death was a shock to many. It seemed like he retired and then he was gone. I'll never forget the TV coverage of fans lining the road during the funeral procession to pay their respects. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the procession traveled from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham and fans were lining the overhead bridges and other viewing points the whole way.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
His death was a shock to many. It seemed like he retired and then he was gone. I'll never forget the TV coverage of fans lining the road during the funeral procession to pay their respects. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the procession traveled from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham and fans were lining the overhead bridges and other viewing points the whole way.
Here's some of the TV coverage from that day:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn’t find out until Thursday morning. I lived in Germany. We used to get “Stars And Stripes” newspaper every morning. I was just about to leave and Mom asked me to get the paper. I didn’t look at it and she opened it and read loudly - you could tell they’d cut in some space to put the headline in the middle of the Friday by page - “Ex-Alabama Coach Bear Bryant Dies of Heart Attack at 69.”

Then I had to go to school in total shock.

Remember - they had a moment of silence for him at the Super Bowl on Sunday after he died. A lot of his former players - including McNeal, Stephenson, Nathan and Baumhower - were in the game.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I`ve always considered it to have been a singular privilege of my lifetime to have been able to watch "live" Coach Bryant`s Alabama career from his very first game to his very last. First college and Alabama game I ever attended was in Mobile with my Dad, who`s been gone since 1984, when Alabama played Tulane. RTR Coach.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I`ve always considered it to have been a singular privilege of my lifetime to have been able to watch "live" Coach Bryant`s Alabama career from his very first game to his very last. First college and Alabama game I ever attended was in Mobile with my Dad, who`s been gone since 1984, when Alabama played Tulane. RTR Coach.
It was the first Bama game I ever attended also, 1961. Never forget it.

Here are a few comments from some former players that I thought poignant. CLICK

This state and so many, many people owe you so much, Coach. Thanks for coming when "Mama called". RTR.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I worked souh of Birmingham then. When that news arrived at the office...I didn't believe it. Everyone remembers where he or she was when that news broke. Kinda like folks who were around when JFK was murdered. Yeah...I have missed the boss too.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I attended two Alabama games with Coach Bryant at the helm. One in the mid 1970s that I don't remember all that much. And the other was what turned out to be his final home game vs Southern Miss in 1982. My daddy's first cousin's husband was a professor in the business school and he got Coach Bryant to sign a book for me in December 1982, a little more than a month before his death.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Like a lot of significant events,I remember it well... We were coming out of the Oxford Mall and a guy saw my Alabama Hat and told me that Coach Bryant had died.
When we got in my truck I turned on the radio, and that was on every station. We lost a great one that day. :(

ROLL TIDE ROLL.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.