Davonta Smith - Catch

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Yeah, who knows? I just know you can plainly see him running one speed initially, then when he looks back and sees the ball. He shifts gears very quickly and begins running at a faster pace. But either way the outcome is still the same. He caught the ball and we went home CHAMPIONS!!!!
To me that indicates an innate ability to judge the ball. A.Stewart could do it too. Slow or speed up to meet the ball at the right spot. route obviously dictates allot but you can see some guys do itThe slayton guy on au does it well too. Keeps db at your back with your body in between him and the ball.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
To me that indicates an innate ability to judge the ball. A.Stewart could do it too. Slow or speed up to meet the ball at the right spot. route obviously dictates allot but you can see some guys do itThe slayton guy on au does it well too. Keeps db at your back with your body in between him and the ball.
You are correct. Cooper was great at it. Saban has mentioned he likes receivers and defensive backs and returners who are good at judging the ball like outfielders.. I've seen jeudy do it during the season as well... a lot of receivers playing on the SEC level can't do that...very impressive group we have

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When you catch 2 game winners in a season's worth of catches, you've had a memorable year as a wide receiver no matter how many receptions that entails. His two game winners highlighted completely different aspects of his skills too. State GWer was more of a make-a-man miss after the catch deal. Demonstrates that he could be a guy that we just get the ball to in space and let him try to make an explosive play out of an easy throw. The UGA GWer kinda demonstrates that uncanny ability Coop had to not let a DB get a hand on him at the snap so he can explode up field with his burst quickness. Gotta imagine we spend a lot of time in 3-wide next year because Juedy, Ruggs, and Smith are big time playmakers.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
That is an awesome picture, especially with the “2nd & 26, 20-23, OT” on the banner in the background. Basically the exact moment all those numbers changed.

Also, Tua has gotten a world of praise for the throw, but huge props to Smith for actually beating his guy at the line and hauling in the pass. Dude is gonna be really good the next two years.

Yeah, who knows? I just know you can plainly see him running one speed initially, then when he looks back and sees the ball. He shifts gears very quickly and begins running at a faster pace. But either way the outcome is still the same. He caught the ball and we went home CHAMPIONS!!!!
Yeah, when I finally saw it I was like you. It was almost like Coop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The best deep ball WRs have a different gear they turn on when the ball is in the air. Go watch guys like DeSean Jackson and you'll see the same thing.

TD10

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2009
Look at the reactions to the Tua-DeVonta touchdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOSSPxuEKU

Freeze it at:

14:42 A guy in the upper deck wearing a white shirt giving the Lane Kiffin signal for TD before the ball gets there.

15:55 In the same screen, on the right see Tony Barnhart (Georgia man) looking around a guy's arm at DeVonta scoring the TD; on the same screen on the left look at the woman with the red cell phone with mouth wide open in total astonishment.

15:58-15:59 A woman wearing a fuchsia top that's evidently a Georgia fan walking away in disbelief and disappointment.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I was most impressed by #6's actions after the catch. No taunting or excessive celebration other than heading for his teammates to congratulate each other. Pretty classy.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I've watched this play everyday since it happened. I probably will continue to watch it for quite some time. I agree that it may be the biggest catch that Davonta Smith will ever have. It could very well be the biggest pass that Tua will ever throw. While I expect Tua to throw many more TD passes and perhaps lead us to another championship it's rather doubtful that he'll ever throw another one on the final play of the game with so much at stake.

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Here's a link to a post game interview with Jalen in the locker room. He was asked about the throw and he says he was kind of surprised he threw it, he didn't expect him to throw it with a cover two. I think it says a lot about Tuas confidence and comfort level throwing the ball but it's around the 2:40 Mark

https://youtu.be/8sSCsHQTyV4

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
TH not to argue, but I caught balls from Richard Todd in high school that would pull your arms out of the sockets. That ball from Tua was humming, 41 yards on a rope and not a lot of arch.
Agreed. That ball had to have some heat behind it as well or the safety would have had time to make up ground. If Tua airs it out there in a bomb type fashion the safety knocks that ball down or worse. Bad thing is, I'm a southpaw and it still doesn't look right watching lefties throw a football. I even grew up just before Steve Young so I watched his NFL career and always shook my head at how ugly the motion is and the spiral is different as well. It's like lefties cannot throw a pretty spiral even though Vick had a decent one when he had time to throw. Tua probably has the best southpaw spiral I've probably ever seen at this point.

Smith seems to cut off everything around him because he caught two game winners with one being on the biggest stage of anyone's career and he didn't bobble or juggle anything. That's legit right there.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I was most impressed by #6's actions after the catch. No taunting or excessive celebration other than heading for his teammates to congratulate each other. Pretty classy.
I still laugh at Irv Smith because he accidentally knocked the photographer down going to celebrate with Smith:biggrin: You could see him try to stop on a dime and he just couldn't do it, and the dumb photographer ran right into his path:biggrin:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
And he was the same kid after the game as he was before. Said it was just like any other catch. Hmmmm, probably got to Tuscaloosa and realized it was a little bigger than that LOL.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
And he was the same kid after the game as he was before. Said it was just like any other catch. Hmmmm, probably got to Tuscaloosa and realized it was a little bigger than that LOL.
That's great parenting and coaching to show the external humility, but we all know inside it had to be a different story.
Again, thank you for sharing what you do is such an obviously classy way. You give us just enough of a peek at some of these young men that so many of us will never see.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.