Davonta Smith - Catch

brownsnake42

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 11, 2008
Cartersville, GA
I know this type of thing is what an athlete lives for but we always take note of the pressure a kicker faces in a game-ending situation...think of the pressure, as a receiver, of seeing that ball in the air knowing that you HAVE to catch it. Maybe it happened so fast he didn't have time to really think about it but it makes me sweat just thinking about it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I know this type of thing is what an athlete lives for but we always take note of the pressure a kicker faces in a game-ending situation...think of the pressure, as a receiver, of seeing that ball in the air knowing that you HAVE to catch it. Maybe it happened so fast he didn't have time to really think about it but it makes me sweat just thinking about it.
i heard saban say something to the effect of practice it until you cannot screw it up, or something to that effect.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I'm the same way, while I think they're trained for this as far as repetition and dedication....you never know how one will react in that situation. You've seen the opposite play out many times before in both college and the nfl. Practice can never duplicate the pressure one may feel in that situation , some thrive in that condition, some may not but I'm sure these guys come to Bama because of these games and these situations ....and they performed right on q...

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Again, thank you for sharing what you do is such an obviously classy way. You give us just enough of a peek at some of these young men that so many of us will never see.
Awww thanks! That's very kind of you. Believe me sometimes I want to say more, but I have to keep it professional. The team trusts us, and I would never violate that. :BigA:

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
I've watched this play everyday since it happened. I probably will continue to watch it for quite some time. I agree that it may be the biggest catch that Davonta Smith will ever have. It could very well be the biggest pass that Tua will ever throw. While I expect Tua to throw many more TD passes and perhaps lead us to another championship it's rather doubtful that he'll ever throw another one on the final play of the game with so much at stake.
I'll settle for a 35-0 beatdown next time around. Easier on the ticker.

the old coach

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 21, 2010
One thing I've noticed over many years coaching and watching football that seems to be overlooked. When running routes the great ones always save a fraction on their speed in order to accelerate when it's needed. A close observation of the film shows me that Devonta sped up fractionally before making the catch. It very much reminded me of a similar catch made by Amari Cooper against Georgia in the SEC championship. Amari noticeably accelerated to catch A.J.'s pass. I noticed it regularly during the career of Jerry Rice. This is all to say that I believe Devonta has an opportunity to be a great receiver.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
One thing I've noticed over many years coaching and watching football that seems to be overlooked. When running routes the great ones always save a fraction on their speed in order to accelerate when it's needed. A close observation of the film shows me that Devonta sped up fractionally before making the catch. It very much reminded me of a similar catch made by Amari Cooper against Georgia in the SEC championship. Amari noticeably accelerated to catch A.J.'s pass. I noticed it regularly during the career of Jerry Rice. This is all to say that I believe Devonta has an opportunity to be a great receiver.
More to the point, I think he starts off the line at sped 'X', then sees the ball and puts the burners on to knock out some distance, then slowed back down while tracking the ball and catching it. Hence why I originally said he didn't appear to be running full tilt. Watch the play again and see what he does around 10-15 yard line. He is gliding along to me at that point...

Last edited:

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
More to the point, I think he starts off the line at sped 'X', then sees the ball and puts the burners on to knock out some distance, then slowed back down while tracking the ball and catching it. Hence why I originally said he didn't appear to be running full tilt. Watch the play again and see what he does around 10-15 yard line. He is gliding along to me at that point...
This is currently my desktop wallpaper. I LOVE the #1 he's holding up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I still laugh at Irv Smith because he accidentally knocked the photographer down going to celebrate with Smith:biggrin: You could see him try to stop on a dime and he just couldn't do it, and the dumb photographer ran right into his path:biggrin:
You realize he's not really a southpaw? :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.