Locksley and Enos: What's the Offense Going to Look Like?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is the best combo anyway. Unless you're running the triple option, you should always recruit QBs based upon their throwing ability first. Athleticism is crucial, but throwing ability is the most important aspect of a QB running any offense outside of those geared heavily to the option play.

So give me a pro style passer first. If they can move around in the pocket and pick up a first down running when the protection breaks down, great. If they can do a QB run to keep the defense honest, all the better.

Of course I understand it isn't an exact science. Frankly, when I saw Jalen's high school film, I was much more impressed with his throwing ability than his running ability. But that's just me.
Took the words right out of my mouth! But, to be fair, it's never been about Jalen's physical ability to spin it. He's got a strong arm and in those High School tapes (which of course are a compilation of his best plays) his long balls were beautiful.

We'll probably never know, but how Jalen got his chance was probably a bad break in the long run. He never was put into a situation to learn what a college QB, in drop back situations, must do to be successful. In other words, he probably just continued to play QB like he did in HS...drop back and if the first guy is not open he started to scramble.

Sometimes the present forces us to adapt to survive. That's what Jalen did. CNS stressed not turning it over so he wouldn't throw it if the guy wasn't wide open.

To illustrate, I remember a time when one of our QBs (might have been JPW during 2008 or maybe a season or two before) developed a pretty bad habit of throwing off his back foot. IIRC, it was because he hardly had time to set his feet and/or step up in the pocket because the OL was allowing pressure so fast.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have watched Tua's tapes at the Elite 11 and the other All Star games. I am not at all certain that he is not a better runner than JH. He will be a very strong man as he matures and will face much more open running lanes with his ability to throw on the run. Therein lies the problem. As CNS says a running QB is always one step from being out of the game.
Tua is not near as fast but has good quickness and moves. I would say Jalen is the better runner but Tua can take off and make plays with his legs. For example, I don't think Tua could have outrun Tennessee's defense on that long run Jalen had in last year's game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tua is not near as fast but has good quickness and moves. I would say Jalen is the better runner but Tua can take off and make plays with his legs. For example, I don't think Tua could have outrun Tennessee's defense on that long run Jalen had in last year's game.
I wonder how they compare on the 40?

I think JH doesn't look fast and people take poor angles.

Of course, that one play you mention means almost everyone on their defense took a bad angle.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I wonder how they compare on the 40?

I think JH doesn't look fast and people take poor angles.

Of course, that one play you mention means almost everyone on their defense took a bad angle.
Let's find out...

The reigning SEC Offensive Player of the Year ran the 40-yard dash in 4.48 seconds. In comparison, the fastest time for a quarterback at this year’s NFL scouting combine was 4.54.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Hurts also had a 315-pound power clean, bench-pressed 355 pounds, squatted 455 pounds and recorded a 9-foot, 9-inch broad jump, a good number in a drill that tests lower body explosiveness.

— Five-star freshman Tua Tagovailoa’s two 40 times were 4.76 and 4.81.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Are we to assume by the thread title that the offense will be a combination by Enos and Locksley? I always thought the playbook would have input from other coaches (especially the head coach), but it would primarily represent the philosophy of the OC and would primarily be prepared by him. In addition, the OC will call all the plays actually used during a game, which could be void of any type plays any other coach actually prefers. So, could the plays we see on the field having nothing to do with Enos as he is listed as only the QB coach?

I have never coached nor been involved in coaching football, so everything I am discussing above could be totally incorrect. So if anyone who does know would comment, I would appreciate it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Are we to assume by the thread title that the offense will be a combination by Enos and Locksley? I always thought the playbook would have input from other coaches (especially the head coach), but it would primarily represent the philosophy of the OC and would primarily be prepared by him. In addition, the OC will call all the plays actually used during a game, which could be void of any type plays any other coach actually prefers. So, could the plays we see on the field having nothing to do with Enos as he is listed as only the QB coach?

I have never coached nor been involved in coaching football, so everything I am discussing above could be totally incorrect. So if anyone who does know would comment, I would appreciate it.
Enos hasn't been announced yet. The offensive staff titles aren't finalized. It's hard to know who will be the OC at this point.

We all expect Locks to be the play caller, but things can change.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Past the line of scrimmage JH is the better runner. Behind the line of scrimmage Tua gets the nod. I wouldn't want to have to tackle Jalen in the open field but Tua's ability to escape and keep his eyes down field makes him much more dangerous behind the LOS IMO.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Past the line of scrimmage JH is the better runner. Behind the line of scrimmage Tua gets the nod. I wouldn't want to have to tackle Jalen in the open field but Tua's ability to escape and keep his eyes down field makes him much more dangerous behind the LOS IMO.
True. Tua is much quicker and much more elusive which is more important in the pocket and near the LOS. Jalen is just as much faster in the open field. Tua's reads on options, as few as there have been, seem to be better.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
To illustrate, I remember a time when one of our QBs (might have been JPW during 2008 or maybe a season or two before) developed a pretty bad habit of throwing off his back foot. IIRC, it was because he hardly had time to set his feet and/or step up in the pocket because the OL was allowing pressure so fast.
Brodie and JPW has that issue due to the terrible pass protection. From what I remember, JPW was pretty bad at it in 07 but improved markedly in stepping into his throw in 08.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
When Hurts gets going, he reminds me of Vince Young when they're running. They do not look incredibly fast, but the way they run forces defenders to take poor angles, or misjudge how fast they are running. Even on plays like Hurts GW TD run against LSU or go ahead TD run against Clemson, I was surprised he made it to the end zone because I didn't think he was running fast enough to get there.

Based off of limited snaps and one whole half in the national championship game, I'd say Tua has better pocket presence, and thus, is able to make quicker decisions on when to stay behind the LOS, or go for positive yardage. To me, Tua could end up being more like Steve Young - throw it anywhere on the field, and is a passer first, but has the wheels to get a first down, or at least positive yardage. Hurts is a runner first, and if he gets away, that first down will more likely turn into a very long gain or a TD.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
JPW was a solid QB for us in 2008. But I remember well the issues he and Brodie had due to the pass pro being... less than adequate.
Ughh....yes, it seems like Brodie's pass protection was a little worse. Jpw had the ability to run and was a little more athletic but I do remember Brodie eventually just having to duck and go right down at times. At times his pass protection was so bad, he didn't have a chance to throw the ball away without intentional grounding. The guy took a pounding but man he had a cannon of an arm

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
Ughh....yes, it seems like Brodie's pass protection was a little worse. Jpw had the ability to run and was a little more athletic but I do remember Brodie eventually just having to duck and go right down at times. At times his pass protection was so bad, he didn't have a chance to throw the ball away without intentional grounding. The guy took a pounding but man he had a cannon of an arm
I'd LOVE to have seen Brodie in Coach Saban's system. Can you imagine him behind the 2012 OL ??? :eek2:

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Reading this post reminds me of an offensive lineman that I dreaded seeing on the field. Every time he would come in I would get sick to my stomach because you just knew what was coming an that Brodie was fixing to get lit up. I can still vividly picture it in my mind. Capps would come in at tackle the DE would blow past him an while Capps was hitting the turf with both fists, Brodie was picking himself up off the turf. I never been so happy to see a Bama player graduate as I was when Capps left the Capstone...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.