Locksley and Enos: What's the Offense Going to Look Like?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Paul, looks like Locksley and Enos have some different philosophies, how do you think it's going to work and what will the offense look like?

I'll hang up and listen...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I vote for an offense that scores a lot of points while mesmerizing our opponents with our passing attack and stomping a mud hole in the defense with our running game. :)
Dont' forget "and walk it dry". If you really want to demoralize, you "stomp a mud hole in them and walk it dry". Walking it dry really sends a message that you mean business. ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
iirc, we ran a series or two of this type of o in the first q against penn state in tuscaloosa in 2010. we were alternating with our regular o. then we didn't do it any more in that game that i remember.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Dan Eno: https://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/...-o-look-at-new-offensive-coordinator-dan-enos

Enos likes to use tendency breakers early in games. Whether that is play action or something unexpected like a 5-wide empty set on first down.
Long, methodical drives are what his CMU teams were known for and an obvious reason why Bielema brought him to Arkansas. The way he accomplished that was with a mixture of inside zone, power and iso plays in the run game, adding in play action on first down with screens to slow the run blitz and to keep the safeties honest.
Enos is all about using play action on first down. If it's successful his teams are able to get ahead in down and distance, giving a variety of options on 2nd and short or 3rd and short.
Screen, screen, screen! Enos loves the RB screen and throwing to backs out of the backfield.
Quick game, slants, using multiple tight ends

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Mike Locksley: http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/mike-locksleys-multiple-offense/

Mike Locksley’s offense combines elements of pro-style and spread attacks, and he also steals elements from Chris Ault’s famous pistol offense. Locksley coached a spread offense at Illinois when he was the offensive coordinator there from 2005-2008. The quarterback was almost always in the shotgun formation, and often had 4-5 wide receivers split out.
Mike Locksley normally operates out of 11 personnel, meaning that there is 1 running back, 1 tight end, and 3 wide receivers on the field at the same time. Most of his formations are run with this personnel, allowing the Terps to avoid substitutions and go faster. There are shotgun, pistol, and single-back formations in Locksley’s playbook that feature 11 personnel. Having a versatile tight end is crucial for success in this offense, as Dave Stinebaugh moved all over the field for the Terps in 2013.
Mike Locksley likes to have a balanced offense, just like most offensive coordinators in college football. Last season, the Terps ran the ball just under 60% of the time, and threw the ball just over 40% of the time.
Mike Locksley uses a different kind of play chart in the booth when his offense is on the field. His chart is divided up into “touches”, and he has a set range of how many touches he wants each player to get in each game

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Bottom line: I think both will develop a game plan around the player's strengths and between those two guys, I expect lot of quick passes combined with running games to develop a play action that could be deadly offense for opposing team to stop. This is clean state for both of the QBs... We'll have very diverse package and there is no reason for Offense to struggle next year with talented players surrounding QB.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I read or heard a very interesting comment from CNS that we have trouble developing screens because everyone always puts a spy on Jalen and that guy keeps his eyes looking forward all the time, making it difficult to use plays where over-pursuit hurts the defense. I would love to see us use more screens, as long as they work. :)

I wonder how Enos feels about the Pistol?

rtr

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Brandon Allen made a HUGE jump from 2014 to 2015. I don't follow Arkansas enough to know what the cause was but He jumped from completing 56%, for 2,285 yards, 20 TDs, 5 Ints and 6.7 ypa to completing over 65%, for 3,340 yards, 30 tds, 8 ints and 9.3 ypa. The jump in yards and tds is nice but the jump in ypa and completion percentage is nuts. Clearly, Enos did something right there.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Dont' forget "and walk it dry". If you really want to demoralize, you "stomp a mud hole in them and walk it dry". Walking it dry really sends a message that you mean business. ;)
"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."
Bamabuzzard has not neglected his Old Testament studies.
I imagine Buzz is particularly fond of the Book of Armaments, chapter two, verses nine to twenty-one.
... I'm thinking that quote "stomp a mud hole in them and walk it dry" comes from either I or II Contusions - I disremember perxactly which one :wink:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm sure they will settle on running the Notre Dame Box. Both Tua and Hurts will be in the backfield. If they shift to the left Tua will run, hand off to #34 or #22 or ____ or throw a pass. If they shift to the right, Hurts will run, hand off to #34 or #22, or #___ or throw a delayed pass.

Or they may NOT shift and just line up in the single wing and do the same things.

Or they may insert some of the Wishbone.

Or they just may be in the pistol or shotgun and do some passing with both QB's in the backfield. You won't know where the center is centering the ball until #13 or #2 receive the snap. Tua can roll to the left and pass to Hurts on the right sideline: TD! Hurts can roll to the right and throw a pass to Tua going down the left sideline. That's just in case #6, #4, et al are covered like a fly on stink.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.