Alabama Lands Temple Grad Transfer Kicker Austin Jones

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He just announced on his Instagram he's coming to Alabama.

Some discussion about him started on the recruiting board last week. Click

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As long as he is consistent inside 40 yards, I’ll be happy. Maybe even 35 yards!!!
Define consistent.

I support him 100%, but 41-52 (.788) inside the 40 is just okay. By way of comparison, Pappanastos was 14-16 in side the 40 (.875) in his two years at Bama.

Jones is an upgrade outside of 40 yards, however, hitting 9 of 13 from 40-49 yards, while Pappanastos was 5 of 10 at the same range.

Neither of them made a kick over 50 yards.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Define consistent.

I support him 100%, but 41-52 (.788) inside the 40 is just okay. By way of comparison, Pappanastos was 14-16 in side the 40 (.875) in his two years at Bama.

Jones is an upgrade outside of 40 yards, however, hitting 9 of 13 from 40-49 yards, while Pappanastos was 5 of 10 at the same range.

He was 31 of 36 inside 40 if you exclude his freshman season. He is a solid and consistent kicker based on those stats.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He was 31 of 36 inside 40 if you exclude his freshman season. He is a solid and consistent kicker based on those stats.
Yah, but he still missed more inside the 40 (by percentage) than Pappanastos did.

Like I said, I support him and if the coaches want him, so do I. But the numbers are pretty middle of the road.

I suspect Banks will be a difference maker, so most likely Jones will look amazing.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It is hard to make comparisons here, because Pappanastos didn't really get consistent until the season was already underway. What he looked like at A-Days and Ole Miss (or his first game) wasn't all that impressive. In the case of Jones, he has two pretty solid years, but he also got hurt. So, you have to hope that his range and consistency is still there. Of course there's also Bulovas, who didn't win the job last year but might have made some improvements as well.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Define consistent.

if Pappanastos hits that 35-yard FG to win the National Championship, his legacy would have been completely different. Unfortunately, he missed it. Thank goodness the Tide pulled it out in the OT or I would feel absolutely horrible for him.

As you pointed out, he was about as consistent within 40 yards as a kicker can be.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I support this immensely. Seems like a solid kicker who is about to receive an actual kicking coach as special teams coordinator.

RiffTide

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 30, 2015
if Pappanastos hits that 35-yard FG to win the National Championship, his legacy would have been completely different. Unfortunately, he missed it. Thank goodness the Tide pulled it out in the OT or I would feel absolutely horrible for him.

As you pointed out, he was about as consistent within 40 yards as a kicker can be.

It really wasn't the fact that he missed it as much as how he missed it. It wasn't anywhere near anything that looked like a goalpost. It was a chip shot with everything riding on the line. The miss was so bad that a coach would wonder if he possessed the mental focus to deliver when it mattered in the future or would he be a basket case. Hence, the quest for a new kicker.

Having said that, we would not have won the game without Pappy's contributions and I wish him the best of luck.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It really wasn't the fact that he missed it as much as how he missed it. It wasn't anywhere near anything that looked like a goalpost. It was a chip shot with everything riding on the line. The miss was so bad that a coach would wonder if he possessed the mental focus to deliver when it mattered in the future or would he be a basket case. Hence, the quest for a new kicker.
Having said that, we would not have won the game without Pappy's contributions and I wish him the best of luck.
I watched that part of the game again today. A commentator stated that it looked like his, Pappy's, plant leg, left leg, slipped on that turf.

However, that Blankenship guy did not slip and he kicked a 51 yard FG. I looked at the tape and really feel that the officials didn't spot the ball prior to the kick where it should have been marked, IMHO. When UGA's QB was sacked, UGA's FG kicker should have had to kick a 53 yarder, but that kick would have made it from 53 to 55 yards, I think.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm sure we will be fine but the move doesn't inspire confidence. The best news regarding special teams was the new coach.

I suppose it's just the question marks that get to me. Feels dicey each year we go in. The most recent kicker I've ever thought had the mental stones and leg to pull off clutch kicks was Cade Foster, and he didn't even have the world's strongest leg.

Pappy was fine but when the heat ratcheted up he folded. Plant or no plant, those kicks aren't all that tricky. We want the guy with ice in his veins wearing an expression that's says he couldn't care less whether he was here or at home eating a microwave dinner and watching reruns of Gun Smoke.

The actual ability to out the ball between the posts inside 40 isn't that remarkable a talent, I kicked up into high school and so did my uncle (who actually still holds the record for longest FG at his HS.)

Like I said, I'm not poo-pooing the guy but he doesn't look to be an Aguyao (NFL withstanding) or a Carlson or a Hot Rod. We haven't had any killers at that position in a long time. We even managed to get one at punter in Scott but this is just a stop gap option we are banking on regaining his pre-injury form (they obviously watched him kick post injury) and that the new coach will elevate his game.

Just the grumblings of a spoiled Alabama fan. It's rare we get put in a spot where we need a killer but it happens.

Ole Adam G was wild mechanically but he was a gamer. Will always be remembered for that clutch onside in the Clemson game. Need someone with his moxie and JK Scott's leg.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.