Man dies after being sucked into MRI machine in freak accident

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Everyone in my department who might maintain equipment near the MRI, including me, has to take a 3 level MRI safety course once a year. There are ferromagnetic detectors outside the room to make sure you don't stupidly walk in with a ferrous tool too. It's drilled into our heads.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Everyone in my department who might maintain equipment near the MRI, including me, has to take a 3 level MRI safety course once a year. There are ferromagnetic detectors outside the room to make sure you don't stupidly walk in with a ferrous tool too. It's drilled into our heads.
The ferrous tool? Seems kind of harsh. Perhaps start out with a verbal warning?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Sooooo, say a person had mri done in an open mri(?). Said person was told to remove cell phone and any metal objects from pockets. Asked if boots were steel toed. But went thru mri with stainless watch and gold wedding band on. Is person in trouble with health probs in future? Asking for a friend...:wink:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sooooo, say a person had mri done in an open mri(?). Said person was told to remove cell phone and any metal objects from pockets. Asked if boots were steel toed. But went thru mri with stainless watch and gold wedding band on. Is person in trouble with health probs in future? Asking for a friend...:wink:
:biggrin:

Well, assuming they're real gold and austenitic stainless, they're non-ferrous.

I wouldn't take the risk, though...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
:biggrin:

Well, assuming they're real gold and austenitic stainless, they're non-ferrous.

I wouldn't take the risk, though...
I have what I thought was a titanium watch. It's light as a feather. The last MRI, I forgot to take it off and the attendant didn't remind me. Halfway through, I looked down and it'd stopped. The attendant came in and I was was holding it over my head. He fussed. I fussed back. He said, from about 4' away that it was working again. No harm done...

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
You should not have future health problems from that. The main concerns are during the scan such as potentially a) altering function of pacemakers, stimulators, credit cards, etc., b) creating metallic flying objects toward the magnet, and c) dislodging loose metal such as shards of metal in the eyes.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I have what I thought was a titanium watch. It's light as a feather. The last MRI, I forgot to take it off and the attendant didn't remind me. Halfway through, I looked down and it'd stopped. The attendant came in and I was was holding it over my head. He fussed. I fussed back. He said, from about 4' away that it was working again. No harm done...
Yep, I walked back there about 3:55...was walking back to my truck and looked at watch...4:00pm. Confused me for a second, but that's what it did, quit working for the 30min the magnet was active? Funny part was they were imaging my right elbow. She puts some cuff on it to immobilize, then hands me 2 foam ear plugs and says "you'll want to put these in". I laughed at her as I was compressing and inserting that plug in my right ear with my left hand. Smh

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Yep, I walked back there about 3:55...was walking back to my truck and looked at watch...4:00pm. Confused me for a second, but that's what it did, quit working for the 30min the magnet was active? Funny part was they were imaging my right elbow. She puts some cuff on it to immobilize, then hands me 2 foam ear plugs and says "you'll want to put these in". I laughed at her as I was compressing and inserting that plug in my right ear with my left hand. Smh
I think maybe you confused the time travel machine with the MRI machine; they look very similar.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.